Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you deal with stress?

Message 81 of 116
I sit down at my sewing machine and either quilt or make crafts. If I wasn't disabled, I'd go ride my bike for miles and miles.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 82 of 116

What works best for me is to take time to observe the simple, beautiful things in creation such as the sky, sun, plants, trees, ocean, etc. I also think of all the space that surrounds us that is filled with universes, galaxies, dark matter, etc., and how huge it all is and how I'm a very small part of it. Yet, I exist for a particular reason like so many others who have passed through life and been confronted with even worse situations. It's humbling. It reduces my personal stress.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 83 of 116

A technique that I use to shake off stress is relaxation therapy! On a hectic day, I close my eyes and let my imagination take me to my favorite place. I feel the warmth of the sun, hear the wind whistling among the birches and breathe in the fragrances of the season. Or, on a particularly hot day, I visualize the cooling effects of snowflakes by silently embracing the euphoric sensations I feel when they land on my eyebrows, my nose and more.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 84 of 116
Meditate
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 85 of 116

How about a couple of beers.  It's been my go-to for almost 80 years!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 86 of 116
Talking with a friend....exercise... Make sure I'm eating a proper healthy diet.. But with dark chocolate added makes the world go round and try to stay positive about things
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 87 of 116
@dr7658 wrote:
Imagine that you and every other person is wairing a backpack.. Sometimes people will hand you a rock from their backpack. Sometimes you may just pickup a rock and put it in your backpack. Those rocks are stress. But notice something -- you pickup the "rock" or you take the "rock" offered by another person. You willingly take the "rock" and put it in your backpack. Yes, stress can be all around you, but you have to accept the stress (adding it to your backpack). The more rocks you add, the harder it is to complete the journey. The thing is, there is no rule or law that says you have to accept the rock.

Catchy analogy, but perhaps a bit idealistic in real life!

What if the "rock" is more hours your company expects you to work in unpaid OT, because they haven't replaced someone who retired? What if the "rock" is elderly parents who need your help, because they aren't ready to admit that they need a caregiver, and not helping may mean they'll get hurt doing something themselves? What if the "rock" is having to deal with the complexity of medical claims & insurance coverage, and the only alternative to following up is paying more than you really have to?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 88 of 116
Imagine that you and every other person is wairing a backpack.. Sometimes people will hand you a rock from their backpack. Sometimes you may just pickup a rock and put it in your backpack. Those rocks are stress. But notice something -- you pickup the "rock" or you take the "rock" offered by another person. You willingly take the "rock" and put it in your backpack. Yes, stress can be all around you, but you have to accept the stress (adding it to your backpack). The more rocks you add, the harder it is to complete the journey. The thing is, there is no rule or law that says you have to accept the rock.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 89 of 116
I start cleaning---- deep cleaning. Cabinets, closets, etc. it clears my mind and helps afterward to feel better about my surroundings.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 90 of 116

"...... basically says in the Bible 365 times, Do not worry. ... So I don't worry. ......You can't change yesterday, its history.  Tomorrow isn't here yet so why worry about it.  Most things some people worry about they can't do anything about anyway....." 

___________________________________________

The Bible,  wg5651?   Hell, no  -  Clearly You're a follower of Buddhism !  

Just about the most famous quotation of all from Buddha   --------

"Do not dwell in the past,

Do not dream of the future, 

Concentrate the mind on the present moment"

Welcome to the group   

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.