There's always more to discover with an AARP membership! Check out your member benefits.

Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you deal with stress?

Message 41 of 54

As I age I'm finding more things stress me out than when I was younger.  And ironically as I age, what I want most out of life besides good health, is less stress! If I feel myself starting to stress I really just have a good talk with myself about how 98% of the things I worry about never materialize in a negative way, that I'm more worried about results than anyone else arround me, and that even if things don't go well, the consequences are minor and/or short lived and not nearly as painful as the energy wasted on the stress. It works most of the time.

amcoffiebean
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 54

I take a break during the day by taking my car to a park, as far away from other people as possible, and I listen to music on my car's radio. I also think back to happy, stress-free incidences from my childhood and relive the moments.  If all else fails, when I'm home, I pet my two cats! 

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 54
I don't have much stress in retirement, but when I do, i take it out on the trampoline.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 54
To handle stress it is important to realize that nothing happens unless God has allowed it to happen ---good and bad! When I recognize His authority and desire to love me, I am able to pass the burden along to Him. The Bible has many scriptures to guide a person to the comfort that God provides. Also, books like "Trusting God" by Jerry Bridges helps give guidance for living through (yes through) stressful situations.
wank
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 54

First, I don't get stressed too much, but when I do it's because of something that I don't have any control over.  At that point I talk to myself as to why I don't have any control.  By the time I'm finished with my own theory, I'm o-k.  But if I can't talk myself out of it I listen to happy music.  I don't believe in getting stress about my own actions because as an adult I should know that all actions have consequences be it positive or negative. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 54

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 54

When I can, I listen to music. I smoke too much when stressed.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 54

First, breathe - just b-r-e-a-t-h-e - feeling my breath slide in and out reclaiming my focus, slowing down, regrouping.  Then I look at myself in the mirror, reorganize my thoughts and move forward.  Now I'm ready to tackle what lies ahead of me.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 54

As a Certified Clinical Aromatherapist, I use therapeutic essential oils as a lifestyle so I don't have a lot of unresolved stress.  When I know I'm going to be in a stressful environment, I'm proactive and prepare myself with specific single essential oils or blends and the bad stress turns into good stress and it moves me into being jovial and focused on the task/issue at hand rather than any negativity. For more info about the scientific evidence, check out one of my fav references on the Science Daily website. Stop and Smell the Flowers - The Scent Can Really Soothe Stress 

Caution, know your resource, not all brands are really therapeutic.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 54

I will take a walk if possible. If I am not able to walk I will do some deep cleaning at home. By the time you are finished your stress level is down and you feel good seeing that you have done something to improve your surroundings.

Kudos
Views