There's always more to discover with an AARP membership! Check out your member benefits.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you deal with stress?

Message 31 of 54

TODAY;  There are two days in every week about which we should not worry; which should be kept free from fear and apprehension.

One is yesterday with its mistkes and cares, its faults and blunders, its aches and pains.  Yesterday has passed forever beyond our control.  All the money in the world cannot bring back yesterday.  We cannot undo a single act or erase a single word we said.  Yesterday is gone.  It is history.

The other day is tomorrow with its possible adversaries, its blunders its large promises and poor performances.  Tomorrow is beyone our immediate control. Tomorrow is unborn.

This leaves today.  You can fight the battles of today.  God won't give you more than HE knows that you can handle.  The yesterdays and tomorrows break down most people.  It's the remorse or bitterness for something which happened yesterday and the dread of tommorow drives men (and women) mad.  

Author Unknown

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 54

It basically says in the Bible 365 times, Do not worry.  I take that meaning as to do that everyday.  So I don't worry.  I don't let others control how I react to their moods or their poor attitudes towards me or towards others.  You can't change yesterday, its history.  Tomorrow isn't here yet so why worry about it.  Most things some people worry about they can't do anything about anyway.  I have a page written about that, called  TODAY.  It's too long to put here.  I add it to my books and writings that I do and my trivia columns.

Have a nice day and enjoy it.  

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 54

How  do  you  deal  with  stress?

Jack Daniels  

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 54
@cs52209111 wrote:
I do meditations to help with stress. But first, get a guide that you trust completely. My guide gives me counselling and advising. He is my healer & protector. I do meditations about 3-5x daily

Can you explain a little more please? Your choice of words sounds a little cult-ish. When we meditate, we're deliberately open to suggestion; I'm not sure I'd want a facilitator to be "advising" me, nor would I consider them a "healer" or "protector".

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 54
I do meditations to help with stress. But first, get a guide that you trust completely. My guide gives me counselling and advising. He is my healer & protector. I do meditations about 3-5x daily
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 54

@ASTRAEA wrote:

Anyone who thinks that retirement will eliminate stress, will probably be disappointed.

Retirement may not eliminate stress (what can other than death), but it can greatly reduce it which of course wll depend on the person.

In my case, it greatly reduced it.

I can see people in retirement without interests and hobbies having stress issues.

Alex
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 54

Anyone who thinks that retirement will eliminate stress, will probably be disappointed. Anyone who thinks that having a comfortable nest egg will eliminate stress, will also probably be disappointed. As long as we're alive, we'll probably have to deal with the inefficiencies of "the system", and other people .. which can be frustrating. The goal has to be trying to make the best of it anyway, and not letting things like that "get to us" .. sometimes easier said than done!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 54

Stress?

I took early retirement at 56. I no longer get stressed out due to the bleep at work and the drive to and from work.

I chose a huge cut in pay partly due to an early retirement penalty. It was worth it. Money is no good to you when you are in a pine box and now I am enjoying travelling and my hobbies.

Alex
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 54

I find that my stress is often coused by over-focus on something, be it a work deadline , health concern or an interpersonal issue. I combat that kind of stress by moving that focus to something else. Sometimes physical exertion combined with a different focus, like: bike riding, or gardening. Sometimes sorting out something hands-on helps me sort out a stressful problem, so I will work on beading, which requires lots of sorting, or straighten a closet, drawer or filing cabinet. Somehow, putting order into something puts order into my thoughts and feelings. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 54

I do tai Chi.  I have found I cannot sit and meditate, my mind wants to move. LOL

I have found that the movement of tai chi helps my body and the focus on those movements helps my mind not focus on the stress causing things in my life.  

Each Tai Chi style is different so you have to check out a class to see whats right for you.   I like Yang style, school of San Bao Pai (three treasure system).   

Good luck to you all. 

elder norm

Kudos
Views