Get answers to your legal and financial affairs questions about caregiving from AARP expert Amanda Singleton. Join the discussion today!

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you deal with stress?

Message 21 of 54

A technique that I use to shake off stress is relaxation therapy! On a hectic day, I close my eyes and let my imagination take me to my favorite place. I feel the warmth of the sun, hear the wind whistling among the birches and breathe in the fragrances of the season. Or, on a particularly hot day, I visualize the cooling effects of snowflakes by silently embracing the euphoric sensations I feel when they land on my eyebrows, my nose and more.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 54
Meditate
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 54

How about a couple of beers.  It's been my go-to for almost 80 years!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 54
Talking with a friend....exercise... Make sure I'm eating a proper healthy diet.. But with dark chocolate added makes the world go round and try to stay positive about things
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 54
@dr7658 wrote:
Imagine that you and every other person is wairing a backpack.. Sometimes people will hand you a rock from their backpack. Sometimes you may just pickup a rock and put it in your backpack. Those rocks are stress. But notice something -- you pickup the "rock" or you take the "rock" offered by another person. You willingly take the "rock" and put it in your backpack. Yes, stress can be all around you, but you have to accept the stress (adding it to your backpack). The more rocks you add, the harder it is to complete the journey. The thing is, there is no rule or law that says you have to accept the rock.

Catchy analogy, but perhaps a bit idealistic in real life!

What if the "rock" is more hours your company expects you to work in unpaid OT, because they haven't replaced someone who retired? What if the "rock" is elderly parents who need your help, because they aren't ready to admit that they need a caregiver, and not helping may mean they'll get hurt doing something themselves? What if the "rock" is having to deal with the complexity of medical claims & insurance coverage, and the only alternative to following up is paying more than you really have to?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 54
Imagine that you and every other person is wairing a backpack.. Sometimes people will hand you a rock from their backpack. Sometimes you may just pickup a rock and put it in your backpack. Those rocks are stress. But notice something -- you pickup the "rock" or you take the "rock" offered by another person. You willingly take the "rock" and put it in your backpack. Yes, stress can be all around you, but you have to accept the stress (adding it to your backpack). The more rocks you add, the harder it is to complete the journey. The thing is, there is no rule or law that says you have to accept the rock.
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 54
I start cleaning---- deep cleaning. Cabinets, closets, etc. it clears my mind and helps afterward to feel better about my surroundings.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 54

"...... basically says in the Bible 365 times, Do not worry. ... So I don't worry. ......You can't change yesterday, its history.  Tomorrow isn't here yet so why worry about it.  Most things some people worry about they can't do anything about anyway....." 

___________________________________________

The Bible,  wg5651?   Hell, no  -  Clearly You're a follower of Buddhism !  

Just about the most famous quotation of all from Buddha   --------

"Do not dwell in the past,

Do not dream of the future, 

Concentrate the mind on the present moment"

Welcome to the group   

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 54
@wg5651 wrote:

How do read the replies that someone sends to someone else?  Or, know that they have someone's comment about what they said?  I'm not that sharp on this computer stuff.

There are 3 basic ways to communicate in Online Community:

- Private message - Goes to the other person's Inbox & no one else sees it.

- Reply in general to a Discussion - Use Blue REPLY button on the upper left of a discussion.

- Reply to a specific post in a Discussion - Use the Red REPLY button in the lower right of that post. If you just type in your own reply in the entry pane, there will be no visible connection to the post to which you're responding. BUT if you use the "Quote" function first - at the right above the entry pane - it copies the post to which you're responding. Once the quote is in the entry pane, you can edit out anything you don't want, leaving just enough to connect your response to the original post. Then type your own response underneath that.

Everything NOT in a private message, can be seen by everyone else reading the discussion.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 54

How do read the replies that someone sends to someone else?  Or, know that they have someone's comment about what they said?  I'm not that sharp on this computer stuff.

Kudos
Views