Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

How do you deal with stress?

I am a person who likes to move.  When I am stressed out I always try to take a 30 minute walk.  Sometimes when really stressed I have gone for 2 hour walks and they always seem to help.  What do you do?

AARPTeri
Super Contributor

Amen!

I do my best to locate the source of the stress and directly deal with it.  While the Lord will guide us, it is still up to us to do the actual work.  [To me, mindfulness just translates to "pay attention", regardless of what anyone else says.]

As for relaxing, I like driving.  Preferably when I'm generally exploring an area.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Hello Ace, the true work that Jesus talked about is Believing His Word,and Believing that God sent Him and Letting Holy Spirit develop His fruit in our heart,will,mind,and emotions.The other work is to trust and obey HIM in love and faith in Jesus name. When we seek God early,He said we will find HIM ,and when we come into His presence with thanksgiving and praise.,He said He will inhabit our praises.

Have a Happy,Blessed,Safe,Peaceful,Prosperous New Year in Jesus name
Margreta Maple
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Honestly,by grace and faith in the Lord,and with the divine help of God's Holy Spirit, I pray everyday,and go before God with thanksgiving and praise. By revelation I receive His Mercies that are new every morning,I receive His unconditional love for me,everyday I receive His divine peace that passes all understand for me,I receive His great grace daily, and through His mercy,His love,His peace,His grace,His lovingkindness can be extended through me to others as unto HIM. This destroys any stress that tries to come near me. By faith I've learned to take everything,and I mean everything to God in prayer with thanksgiving believing for Him to show Himself strong and mighty on my behalve and for all my concerns and cares which I daily surrender to HIM in Jesus name.

Lamentations 3:22-23 
 It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.

Psalm 34:1-4, Psalm 100:4-5, Psalm 69:30,John 14:27, I could give you more Scriptures,but you get the message,Right?

Margreta Maple
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

When I was raising my children as a single mother, my stress was being a good mother.  I always worked and had decent employment, but still worried about raising my children and giving them what they needed, then giving them what they want.

I am a retired federal and state employee and I have never been stressed about doing my job because I always considered myself a conscientious employee.

My stressed levels were always personal.

I noticed with each birthday, I stopped getting stressed over people and situations I had no control over.  I would addressed the person or situation and let it be. 

I am now 73 years old, without being rude, I speak my mind, have no problem saying "no" without an explanation and do what I feel like doing or not.

I want to be around as long as I am blessed to be here and I refuse to be stressed out.  I handle issues head on,

pray when I wake up and before I go to bed.

As the saying goes- "TOO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED"

I love listening to the golden oldies music, crocheting and reading, not to relieve stress, just to relax if I've had a long day, not a bad day but a busy day.

Periodic Contributor

Good for you 

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

I listen to relaxing music on YouTube. I focus on the smooth transitions of the sounds. Currently, I like, Sub Bass Healing Music: Low Frequencies Bass Meditation Music, Soothing Music for Relaxation and The Sweetest Sleep Music ☯ Relaxing Vocal Elf Music for Deep Sleeping.

I listened to several types and styles of music and chose the ones that seemed to suit me best. I prefer low-frequency music.

Periodic Contributor

Utilizing music often allows you the ability to transport you to another time when things were less stressful. It allows you "Just Be" in the moment, a practice that everyone should cultivate. Kudos!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I have a favorite place in my home where it is quiet.  Sometimes I like to have complete silence or sometimes my favorite music.  I completely relax with a favorite food and beverage.  I pray about what is causing me to be under stress, and my strong faith in God pulls me through.  I was raised by Christian parents and grandparents and keep a mindful attitude of my upbringing.

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

Worked for the US Government for over 30 years and by the end of the week the environment of stress was so overwhelming there were those who went home crying.I found myself going home a little early on Friday, no one was home until later, and I would take time to pray about me!

I didn't blame those around me for the stupidity that often created the stress, but rather found a moment to look at my reaction and prayed for strenght to never feel that way again. Give me the right words to say that will lead to some learning for us, help me to listen closer to what is being said and ask questions that may help them realize the error of their ways, and help me to find something positive to share in the moment that we all may find helpful. Then I check the theatre listing to see what is playing, buy a ticket for the matinee, make sure the popcorn is fresh, and head to the higher seats just in case I fall asleep and nobody is behind me!

Periodic Contributor

I'm a practicing RN of 30 years & yes it is stressful working with new grads who are much younger & have yet to develop their people skills. Listen & learn. Praise others for their skills while delicately nurturing them towards opportunities for improvement. Cast off the unfortunate but true fact that the majority of senior nurses "eat their young". At age 60, I realize that we each bring a different skill set to the table. I may be old school & from a different set of values but they too are teaching me. As for stress management, I'm learning to "Just Be" in the moment. Practicing mindfulness is often hard to achieve in the chaos of the current healthcare environment but it helps tremendously!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist

I play games and watch my favorite football game, which, by the way are way behind, ha,ha,ha, it's good for laughs and good cheer.  My team is the Seahawks!  They always have surprises up their sleeves.

0 Kudos

Easy I will take long walks on the beach or go out to my deck sit with my comfy blanket and listen to the ocean, birds and soft jazz on my bluetooth speaker sipping wine very relaxing 

Periodic Contributor

Good for you! We all do not have the opportunity to practice what works for you. Keep up the good work!

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

how i deal with stress is not letting it take hold. i try to get myself intrested in the things i like like reading, watching something that's intresting on T.V. i will not let depression take hold of me. like i said, i try to get myself intrested in other things that make myself feel good!

Contributor

I agree totally with what you have said.    That's what I do also and take my mind off what's stressing me or making me morose.     I distract my thoughts onto more pleasant things, such as reading, gardening, maybe even playing solitaire on my computer  ..  anything.     If you give in to stress or feeling blue you are making a rod for your own back and it takes greater effort to try and pull yourself back.      You can't throw in the towel, you have to fight back.

I wish I could say that I did a good job with it. I am concerned about the damage stress has already done to my body. I want to meditate more and do deep breathing.  I have learned a lot of helpful things like these from doctors and in collaboration with living a spiritual life I believe that I am making a good start. There is always more growth in life.

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

Kudos my kindred spirit. I really like your attitude. I'm learning to practice Mindfulness, just being in the moment. It only takes a feel a few minutes to stop & appreciate all that is going right. You are definitely on the right path. Keep up the good work!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Well, of course...

I talk to, find comfort from, and reconcile myself (get right with) Jesus, the Prince of Peace who gives peace beyond comprehension.

"Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you."  (2Thess. 3:16)

"Come unto meall ye that labor and are bowed down, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30).

And sure, I also exercise daily, avoid processed food and most meats, listen to angelic music, get out in the sun, give to others, and avoid dark, sensual, and violent entertainment...as well as mindless political rhetoric (red or blue). Meditate on the promises of God not political party bluster. Along with this, avoid speaking evil of things beyond your understanding and responsibility (see meek and lowly in heart above).

"For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile." (1 Peter 3:10)

Contributor

I don’t deal with it very well. I’m very cranky and can be sarcastic at times. That’s when I know that I need to spend time with God.

Super Contributor

I try to give myself a treat pretty often.  I go to a library and let myself get LOST among all those BOOKS.  I can forget EVERYTHING.  I'm not shirking off responsibilities or letting necessities go with my personal life.  It's just soothing to browse the stacks.

Contributor

Easy if you care! It does not really matter for what as long as you care and put passion in whatever you do. My own recipe is gardening and cooking but could very well be music, painting, dancing, caring for others all activities that free up your mind and engage your heart. You need to re-discover the passion that has been constrained, hidden in your body since you were a teen-ager and muted into an adult with little or no time for anything else but work, work and work again forgetting that life is worth much more than the money you can make thus it is now time to express yourself and start living!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I grew up on a farm and my best childhood memories are playing hide and seek among the tall corn stalks.

The sound of the combine and tractors

at harvest time, and the smell of wood burning on an open fire. The evening sun slowly going down as dusk settled

in.

Anytime I feel stressed about anything

I simply go back to those stored happy, warm and fuzzy memories.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist

Feeling stressed?  Sometimes you can't get away to deal with it right away.  For some immediate relief, take a deep breath, or even several!  Count to 10 slowly.  Push yourself away from where you are working, and relax your body, even do a few simple exercises while sitting.  Roll you head around your neck, breathe in through the nose and slowly out your mouth.  If you are home, walks are great, some quiet music is soothing and let your body just relax.  As others have indicated, exercise, yoga, walking, are all ways to let you get away from it all.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

These are great ideas! Thank you. I have heard "take some deep breaths," but that never seemed to do much for me. Then I received some very specific breathing advice: Inhale to the count of 4, hold to the count of 7, exhale to the count of 8. On the inhale, take in as much breath as you possibly can. On the exhale, breathe out so that you don't have one tiny bit of air left--which leads to your next deep inhale. If I do about 4 of these, it settles me down. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Walking is a great stress  reliever for me.  Do 2 1/2 miles as many days a week that I can.  I work 2 days a week and that relieves stress, surprisingly.  Just having some alone time helps, too.

Regular Contributor

I learned how to deal with stress many years ago by joining the local self-help group called Recovery International.  For anyone who is dealing with stress, tension, anxiety, panic, mood disorders, fatigue, sleep disorders, worry, anger, fear and feelings of helplessness and/or hopelessness - just long on to the following website:  www.recoveryinternational.org and look for a meeting close to you.  There are meetings in every state and seven foreign countries. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Going for a morning swim or taking a brisk 10 mile walk also pets are a great stress reliever....

Regular Contributor

I like balance in my life.  I try to limit the negative news and shows I listen to, (ie. no R rated movies) and I walk and/or exercise, meditate with prayer.  I love the outdoors!  Music and good books.  I'm always looking for things to do that I love and figure out what works best for me, so I like to change it up and try new things.  My challenge is finding time to play, I feel when I take time to play, I'm less likely to become critical or cynical of everything going on nowadays, so for 2019 I'm going to take music and join some beginning German speaking groups to practice the language.  Wish me luck! 

Super Contributor

People that know me have heard this.  I don't watch the news.  I expose myself to headlines emanating from "Idiot in chief" to the absolute minimum.  Anger causes my stress so if it doesn't happen in my back yard, I DON'TCARE!!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP