Know someone over 50 who is making a difference? Nominate them for the AARP Purpose Prize. Nominations close March 31!

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you deal with stress?

Message 1 of 54
@ASTRAEA
I like the way you think!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 54

I like balance in my life.  I try to limit the negative news and shows I listen to, (ie. no R rated movies) and I walk and/or exercise, meditate with prayer.  I love the outdoors!  Music and good books.  I'm always looking for things to do that I love and figure out what works best for me, so I like to change it up and try new things.  My challenge is finding time to play, I feel when I take time to play, I'm less likely to become critical or cynical of everything going on nowadays, so for 2019 I'm going to take music and join some beginning German speaking groups to practice the language.  Wish me luck! 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 54

People that know me have heard this.  I don't watch the news.  I expose myself to headlines emanating from "Idiot in chief" to the absolute minimum.  Anger causes my stress so if it doesn't happen in my back yard, I DON'TCARE!!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 54
Thanks for this information. As caregiver for my mother-in-law, managing our own family, working, trying to care for myself (breast cancer survivor), I tend to let myself go. I leave things for myself to last, and then if there is time after chores, etc. I try to relax. It seems like it gets harder as time goes on. I wrote down these tips for myself and will try to look at it each day. Thanks again so much. I will try not to feel guilt for taking some "me" time.
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 54
This does seem inappropriate.
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 54

During the HOLIDAYS our STRESS levels often INCREASE.
How can this be ? Well, mad shopping, holiday lines, crazy hectic travel, family squabbles, financial stress and not being able to say NO to invites and overextending yourself.
I was alerted to this by a Health blog article. I couldn't believe how much of it is true.

Here is a few quotes from the article :

"The Holidays and winter can be wonderful but keep in mind the grinchy side effects, such as The common cold, and holiday stress.
The holiday season should be a time of relaxing. Depending on where you are, snow outside the living room window, fireplace flames and knowing you have a few days off, spending more time with your family and less time at work is great. Often the reality is shoveling snow, buying gifts in a rush and traveling madly to visit friends and family.

Many people that their stress levels are higher during the holiday season. It’s never the situation that causes the stress: it’s how we feel about the situation itself that makes us feel good or bad.

Here are a few ways that the Holidays can put stress on your health.

Saying “yes” to everything
If we are eating and we aren’t hungry, that's not good. When we say yes to every commitment, we get overextended. Drinking or over-eating is then a side effect. Say yes to what you really want to attend. Saying no to holiday parties means saying yes to your peace and health.

Drinking too much
Drinking too much alcohol when you’re hanging out with friends can be bad for your health and downright embarrassing, but drinking too much alcohol in front of your boss or peers can be downright detrimental to your career.

Going to a place hungry
Going to any holiday party hungry erases any logical decision making when it comes to eating. Same goes for shopping. Don't do it. Eat a light snack before you go out."

Ain't it the truth.
I pray for a peaceful 2018 Holiday period.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 54

Whenever i am into stress i keep my self away from everyone and try to stay alone for few hours or max whole day. I think upon the situation and its solutions. later on i call up my best buddy for support and Expert advice.

At the end friends company makes me stress-free.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 54

@PaulG415843  Music is such a great way to alleviate stress, I often take a long walk while listening to music - it is a great reliever!

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 54

My personal expereince i am sharing with you. When i was in stress i listen music, eating healthy foods. You can also meet those friends with whom you can share your problems due to this you will get some relief.  I hope this works with you.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

How do you deal with stress?

Message 10 of 54

I'm not handling stress well.
I keep sinking into negative thought patterns (" but what if" and "it's never going to work" )

After some depression and anxiety, with a lot of help from friends, spouse and prayer, i'm finding the following helps me :

Love and hugs

Prayer
Positive thoughts to cancel out the negatives

Giving up and surrendering to the Creator and letting him take control.

Expect good things, dare to dream

Music
Exercise - mild at first

Eating healthy + Niacin ( Vitamin B3) and Vitamin C

Hope this helps someone.

Kudos
Views