Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

How do you deal with stress?

I am a person who likes to move.  When I am stressed out I always try to take a 30 minute walk.  Sometimes when really stressed I have gone for 2 hour walks and they always seem to help.  What do you do?

AARPTeri
Social Butterfly

I take a walk along a nature trail near my home. I clear my head as i stroll along watching the birds, the occasional coyote, the lizards before long I've walked 5 miles. Stress free and ready to face the day.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Pray. 

Regular Contributor

i take a moment to meditate, and i keep it simple....i go to a quiet area, i close my eyes, i very slowly inhale through my nose then I very slowly exhale through my mouth.....after about 10 minutes i feel fantastic, relaxed and rejuvenated.  

Regular Contributor

I thought that I had replied to this post earlier, and just finished reading what all of us try to do to relieve stress.  I did run across the post I had written which was 12/31/19, New Year's Eve.  I had never heard of the coronavirus then, and now that we've all had to experience a world that is pretty much shut down, I don't find myself doing things any differently.  I have been going shopping for groceries at 7 am just do I can buy what I need.  I have always worked, and now that I'm on unemployment I know what it's like to be really retired!  Not too bad!!

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I exercise, work in my garden, play my piano and recorder, pet my dogs and goats, keep in touch with family and friends via email or phone, and most of all I STAY RATIONAL.  We're not being attacked by aliens from outer space (although that might be interesting), we're dealing with something that eventually will pass as have other new health problems in the past.  Follow government instructions, keep your brain and body active, and this, too, shall pass!

Contributor

The many messages of faith in dealing with stress are comforting.  As one who also trusts in Him, I believe that God does not expect us to only sit back while He does all the work.  St. Patrick's prayer, while beautiful, does not seem to leave much room for us to contribute to our own well being.  God gave each of us special talents and strengths so that we could DO things to help ourselves and others.  Before praying for God to intervene, perhaps we should pray for guidance and strength to use our gifts and rise to the needs of each other.  

Stress is not necessarily a bad thing as it may also be a message from God to inspire and strengthen us to take action.  When I feel stressed out or helpless, I get angry at myself, and thank God for reminding me that He has already greatly blessed me with the ability to take action.  When the stress is greatest, and I am trying my best, is when I know He will carry me IF I need it.  Yes, I believe that if He leads me to it, He will see me through it.  

In sum, DO for yourself, and others in need, with the knowledge and faith that He walks beside you.  By the way, if you haven't already done so, read "Footprints in the Sand," which has been a wonderful inspiration for me.  

God bless all in this trying and stressful time.  

R

Super Contributor

Good Morning moscicj

Jesus told us to Pray

And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;

Drawing all my strength from God through prayer,praise,thanksgiving,His word,fellowshiping with other born again believers,and by His Holy Spirit in Jesus name in dealing with everyday living and to staying out of stress while believing God to do the impossibles in my life through Christ Jesus and in the lives of others. It is God who will give us the Victory through Jesus as we lean on Him and trust in HIM and obey His leading,as well as obey the natural laws of government.

I help myself by leaning(trusting) totally on the Lord,(prayer,thanksgiving,praises,listening,being quiet,studying and meditating on His Word,and obeying His leading out of love and faith in Jesus name. I trust HIM to perfect those things which concerns me spiritually,natually,financially,socially,and mentally according to HIS Word which is quick,powerful,and sharp like a two edge sword....(grounded in HIM,His love,His peace,HIs mercy,HIs grace,His lovingkindness,His counsel,His Word,with the divine help of His Holy Spirit in Jesus name)

The Lord will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O Lord, endureth for ever: forsake not the works of thine own hands.

Let's keep our mind on the Lord so He can keep us in His perfect peace throughout this time and pray that God keep us from being fearful in Jesus name,amen.
Margreta Maple
Contributor

I trust in JESUS.  Here is St. Patrick's prayer of protection and what I ask Jesus for...

I rise today with the power of God to pilot me, God's strength to sustain me, God's wisdom to guide me, God's eye to look ahead for me, God's ear to hear me, God's word to speak for me, God's hand to protect me, God's way before me, God's shield to defend me, God's host to deliver me, from snares of devils, from evil temptations, from nature's  failings, from all who wish to harm me, far or near, alone and in a crowd.

MB

Contributor

Terribly

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

relax with yoga!!

0 Kudos

Thank you for sharing your faith! Jesus is the Great Physician, we draw strength through HIM. 

Super Contributor

Hello D5219c, Blessings to you and your household in Jesus name

.Yes He is and He has taught me to draw all my strength from HIM through prayer,,praise,thanksgiving,His word,and by His Holy Spirit. It's a blessing to be able to share the way Holy Spirit has taught me to deal with everyday living and to stay out of stress while believing God to do the impossibles in my life in Christ Jesus
Margreta Maple

He is in charge!

Kudos
Views
Super Contributor

I'm a born-again,holy blood washed by faith in Jesus Name and I would like to say that everyone deals with stress their way,their own way. I deal with stress by first thanking God,and praising HIM for who He is and all that Jesus has done,and by the way,Jesus is Jewish and He loves me just the same. So if you don't have nothing nice to say,just don't comment on my reply. I deal with stress by praying for myself,family and friends and then for everyone else. Jesus said people should pray than faint.

Everyone deals with stress in their own way,I deal with stress through the power of God's Holy Spirit,God's Word in Jesus name.

This is not a sermon,nor christian counseling,it's the truth. Can you handle that without being unloveable or mean spirited?:

God Bless in Jesus name

Margreta Maple
Trusted Contributor

Amen
Contributor

Exercise, Exercise, can't say enough

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

True enough. Turn off the tube and go walk.
0 Kudos

I paint! I'm an Artist. I love to Paintโฃ๏ธ I have been diagnosed with social anxiety, this is part of my disability. Painting has helped me with my anxiety & Stress. 

0 Kudos

When I am stressed I try to babysit my grandkids. Nothing works better than that!
Sohappyathome1
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Blessings to you,sohappyathome in Jesus name
Margreta Maple
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Psalm 34:1-4 (KJV) I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.My soul shall make her boast in the Lord: the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad.O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together.I sought the Lord, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.

Good Morning Tracy,

I have never heard of Social Anxiety ,so I looked it up, and it's the fear of being around people. I have the cure for this and it's in the Word of God. Let me share with you these Scriptures that can be life changing,if you Believe in Jesus Christ. First you got receive,and believe that God loves you and cares for you,and have your best interest at heart. Read Jeremiah 29:11 and take His Word to heart. Read Romans 10:9-10. (1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love).

Encourage you to start saying God has not given me a spirit of fear,but of love,power and a sound mind in Jesus name.

(2 Timothy 1:7 (Amplified Bible)For God did not give us a spirit of timidity or cowardice or fear, but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of sound judgment and personal discipline [abilities that result in a calm, well-balanced mind and self-control]. (Isiah 35:4 Say to them that are of a fearful heart, Be strong, fear not). ( Isaiah 41:10 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness).(Isaiah 41:13 For I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee). (Isaiah 43:1 But now thus saith the Lord that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine).

Have a blessed,safe,peaceful,prosperous New Year in Jesus Name.
Margreta Maple
Contributor

Shalom & Many Blessings for you Margreta -

I love your encouraging thoughts & scriptures !!!  I will copy your thoughts & take your encouraging advise !!!

God Bless you &

Happy New Year

Super Contributor

Good Morning Mary, happy you are blessed by the encouraging thoughts and scriptures because I truly live by it daily in faith. Thank you for the Blessing for the New Year in the Lord.
Margreta Maple
Super Contributor

Good Morning Tracy,

I have never heard of  Social Anxiety and it's the fear of being around people. I have the cure for this and it's in the Word of God. Let me share with you these Scriptures that can be life changing,if you Believe in Jesus Christ. First you got receive,and believe that God loves you and cares for you,and have your best interest at heart.  Read Jeremiah 29:11 and take His Word to heart. Read Romans 10:9-10.  (1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love).

Encourage you to start saying God has not given me a spirit of fear,but of love,power and a sound mind in Jesus name.

(2 Timothy 1:7 (Amplified Bible)For God did not give us a spirit of timidity or cowardice or fear, but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of sound judgment and personal discipline [abilities that result in a calm, well-balanced mind and self-control]. (Isiah 35:4  Say to them that are of a fearful heart, Be strong, fear not). ( Isaiah 41:10 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness).(Isaiah 41:13   For I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee). (Isaiah 43:1 But now thus saith the Lord that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine).

Have a blessed,safe,peaceful,prosperous New Year in Jesus Name.

Margreta Maple
Contributor

I find it relaxing and clears my mind to focus on my Martial Arts, it's more of a mind clearing then physical but if that helps then yes slowly motion through your Kats as well as focusing your mind, the Art of Won Shu is over 4000 years old a very fine form of Discipline for the body as well as the mind...

Super Contributor

Blessings to you JohnF773792 in Jesus name
Margreta Maple
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

You should find a way to share some of those beautiful paintings created over time. Such a magnificient window into the corners of your mind!

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Does this have to turn into a bible format.

Not looking to get saved here.

I know where I'm going but I'll keep dusting off the welcome mat.

Contributor

Me either, I am jewish and come here for info, not christain preaching 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP