Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you deal with stress?

Message 51 of 116

I wish I could say that I did a good job with it. I am concerned about the damage stress has already done to my body. I want to meditate more and do deep breathing.  I have learned a lot of helpful things like these from doctors and in collaboration with living a spiritual life I believe that I am making a good start. There is always more growth in life.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 116

I don’t deal with it very well. I’m very cranky and can be sarcastic at times. That’s when I know that I need to spend time with God.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 116

Well, of course...

I talk to, find comfort from, and reconcile myself (get right with) Jesus, the Prince of Peace who gives peace beyond comprehension.

"Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you."  (2Thess. 3:16)

"Come unto meall ye that labor and are bowed down, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30).

And sure, I also exercise daily, avoid processed food and most meats, listen to angelic music, get out in the sun, give to others, and avoid dark, sensual, and violent entertainment...as well as mindless political rhetoric (red or blue). Meditate on the promises of God not political party bluster. Along with this, avoid speaking evil of things beyond your understanding and responsibility (see meek and lowly in heart above).

"For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile." (1 Peter 3:10)

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 116

I try to give myself a treat pretty often.  I go to a library and let myself get LOST among all those BOOKS.  I can forget EVERYTHING.  I'm not shirking off responsibilities or letting necessities go with my personal life.  It's just soothing to browse the stacks.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 116

Easy if you care! It does not really matter for what as long as you care and put passion in whatever you do. My own recipe is gardening and cooking but could very well be music, painting, dancing, caring for others all activities that free up your mind and engage your heart. You need to re-discover the passion that has been constrained, hidden in your body since you were a teen-ager and muted into an adult with little or no time for anything else but work, work and work again forgetting that life is worth much more than the money you can make thus it is now time to express yourself and start living!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 116

I grew up on a farm and my best childhood memories are playing hide and seek among the tall corn stalks.

The sound of the combine and tractors

at harvest time, and the smell of wood burning on an open fire. The evening sun slowly going down as dusk settled

in.

Anytime I feel stressed about anything

I simply go back to those stored happy, warm and fuzzy memories.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 116

These are great ideas! Thank you. I have heard "take some deep breaths," but that never seemed to do much for me. Then I received some very specific breathing advice: Inhale to the count of 4, hold to the count of 7, exhale to the count of 8. On the inhale, take in as much breath as you possibly can. On the exhale, breathe out so that you don't have one tiny bit of air left--which leads to your next deep inhale. If I do about 4 of these, it settles me down. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 116

Feeling stressed?  Sometimes you can't get away to deal with it right away.  For some immediate relief, take a deep breath, or even several!  Count to 10 slowly.  Push yourself away from where you are working, and relax your body, even do a few simple exercises while sitting.  Roll you head around your neck, breathe in through the nose and slowly out your mouth.  If you are home, walks are great, some quiet music is soothing and let your body just relax.  As others have indicated, exercise, yoga, walking, are all ways to let you get away from it all.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 116

Walking is a great stress  reliever for me.  Do 2 1/2 miles as many days a week that I can.  I work 2 days a week and that relieves stress, surprisingly.  Just having some alone time helps, too.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 116

I learned how to deal with stress many years ago by joining the local self-help group called Recovery International.  For anyone who is dealing with stress, tension, anxiety, panic, mood disorders, fatigue, sleep disorders, worry, anger, fear and feelings of helplessness and/or hopelessness - just long on to the following website:  www.recoveryinternational.org and look for a meeting close to you.  There are meetings in every state and seven foreign countries. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Ask the Expert: What advice do you need to better manage your stress and anxiety?

Clinical Psychologists Barry Jacobs and Julie Mayer will answer your questions on how to cope with the major life change, anxiety, and sadness we are all facing these days. Ask a question now and tune in live on May 27, 3-5 p.m. ET.