Highlighted
Contributor

Re: How do you deal with stress?

Message 61 of 120

These are great ideas! Thank you. I have heard "take some deep breaths," but that never seemed to do much for me. Then I received some very specific breathing advice: Inhale to the count of 4, hold to the count of 7, exhale to the count of 8. On the inhale, take in as much breath as you possibly can. On the exhale, breathe out so that you don't have one tiny bit of air left--which leads to your next deep inhale. If I do about 4 of these, it settles me down. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 120

Feeling stressed?  Sometimes you can't get away to deal with it right away.  For some immediate relief, take a deep breath, or even several!  Count to 10 slowly.  Push yourself away from where you are working, and relax your body, even do a few simple exercises while sitting.  Roll you head around your neck, breathe in through the nose and slowly out your mouth.  If you are home, walks are great, some quiet music is soothing and let your body just relax.  As others have indicated, exercise, yoga, walking, are all ways to let you get away from it all.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 63 of 120

Walking is a great stress  reliever for me.  Do 2 1/2 miles as many days a week that I can.  I work 2 days a week and that relieves stress, surprisingly.  Just having some alone time helps, too.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 64 of 120

I learned how to deal with stress many years ago by joining the local self-help group called Recovery International.  For anyone who is dealing with stress, tension, anxiety, panic, mood disorders, fatigue, sleep disorders, worry, anger, fear and feelings of helplessness and/or hopelessness - just long on to the following website:  www.recoveryinternational.org and look for a meeting close to you.  There are meetings in every state and seven foreign countries. 

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 65 of 120

Going for a morning swim or taking a brisk 10 mile walk also pets are a great stress reliever....

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 66 of 120

meditation and yoga save me

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 67 of 120
@ASTRAEA
I like the way you think!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 68 of 120

I like balance in my life.  I try to limit the negative news and shows I listen to, (ie. no R rated movies) and I walk and/or exercise, meditate with prayer.  I love the outdoors!  Music and good books.  I'm always looking for things to do that I love and figure out what works best for me, so I like to change it up and try new things.  My challenge is finding time to play, I feel when I take time to play, I'm less likely to become critical or cynical of everything going on nowadays, so for 2019 I'm going to take music and join some beginning German speaking groups to practice the language.  Wish me luck! 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Message 69 of 120

People that know me have heard this.  I don't watch the news.  I expose myself to headlines emanating from "Idiot in chief" to the absolute minimum.  Anger causes my stress so if it doesn't happen in my back yard, I DON'TCARE!!!

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 70 of 120
Thanks for this information. As caregiver for my mother-in-law, managing our own family, working, trying to care for myself (breast cancer survivor), I tend to let myself go. I leave things for myself to last, and then if there is time after chores, etc. I try to relax. It seems like it gets harder as time goes on. I wrote down these tips for myself and will try to look at it each day. Thanks again so much. I will try not to feel guilt for taking some "me" time.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a health tip to share or a health question to ask? Check out the Health Tips forum today