Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

How do you deal with stress?

I am a person who likes to move.  When I am stressed out I always try to take a 30 minute walk.  Sometimes when really stressed I have gone for 2 hour walks and they always seem to help.  What do you do?

AARPTeri
Periodic Contributor

Whenever i am into stress i keep my self away from everyone and try to stay alone for few hours or max whole day. I think upon the situation and its solutions. later on i call up my best buddy for support and Expert advice.

At the end friends company makes me stress-free.

Trusted Contributor

I'm not handling stress well.
I keep sinking into negative thought patterns (" but what if" and "it's never going to work" )

After some depression and anxiety, with a lot of help from friends, spouse and prayer, i'm finding the following helps me :

Love and hugs

Prayer
Positive thoughts to cancel out the negatives

Giving up and surrendering to the Creator and letting him take control.

Expect good things, dare to dream

Music
Exercise - mild at first

Eating healthy + Niacin ( Vitamin B3) and Vitamin C

Hope this helps someone.

Contributor

Thanks for this information. As caregiver for my mother-in-law, managing our own family, working, trying to care for myself (breast cancer survivor), I tend to let myself go. I leave things for myself to last, and then if there is time after chores, etc. I try to relax. It seems like it gets harder as time goes on. I wrote down these tips for myself and will try to look at it each day. Thanks again so much. I will try not to feel guilt for taking some "me" time.
Super Contributor

๐Ÿพ  Our pair of darling Sheltieโ™ฅsisters are my *stress busters*
โŠฑโŠฑโŠฑ Enjoying year โ€ฒround walks in the fresh air and sunshine ... playing fetch in the backyard ... crossโˆ™country skiing on the woodland deer trails ... swimming in the beautiful lake ... cuddling and snuggling ... the list goes onโฃ

-Sheltie Sisters.png

โ™ฅ Shelties are not my whole life โˆฝ but they make my life whole โ™ฅ
Info Seeker

Stress kills. My wife taught me worry about the things we have no control over. I love music, designing clothes and just getting out and mingle. I find that works
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@oc5801 wrote:

I was diagnosed with PTSD, Attention Defecate Hyperactivity, and Bi-polar (rapid cycle type) and severe anxious issues since 1992. In 2014 I started taking Bliss as a trial to see if it would help me deal with life in general. I would sometimes not take it because of one reason or the other. One day I had a very serious issue with being too anxious. In a matter of 20 to 30 minutes the Bliss calmed me down.

This is the 3rd time you've posted links to shopping websites for drugs, and they're beginning to seem like advertisements. In a couple places you recommended painkillers friends had used, and now you're recommending something for what sounds like a very complex combination of conditions. Seems like the sort of thing where people need to see a doctor for their own diagnosis & prescriptions!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

This does seem inappropriate.
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

At work, I listen to music to keep me calm and sometimes I visit the city dock.  I love being near water.  It's very calming.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Coconut flavored vodka...but seriously...unfortunately I am serious, especially after reading postings about caregivers dealing with Parkinson's. He's not my parent...my Dad can run circles around us at 93. No he's my husband, five years older than me but I can see him getting more frail.

And today they told me in a roundabout way they're cutting my hours. Reminds me of Steve Carolla-"Not Taco Bell Material"...dead end big box hardware...time to find a new direction. If I have to be the sole breadwinner eventually...Handling stress, oh dear Gawd.

I agree cleaning can be good if you don't get manic about it. My best stress buster is walking my pups. With my girl it's hiking...she can do seven miles and is just warming up...If I'm sweaty and tired yeah I can debate everything as I walk and when we get back to the car I'm much more focused.

Social Butterfly

I take it out on the trampoline.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Yoga. Eight times per week.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I sit down at my sewing machine and either quilt or make crafts. If I wasn't disabled, I'd go ride my bike for miles and miles.
0 Kudos
Contributor

What works best for me is to take time to observe the simple, beautiful things in creation such as the sky, sun, plants, trees, ocean, etc. I also think of all the space that surrounds us that is filled with universes, galaxies, dark matter, etc., and how huge it all is and how I'm a very small part of it. Yet, I exist for a particular reason like so many others who have passed through life and been confronted with even worse situations. It's humbling. It reduces my personal stress.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

A technique that I use to shake off stress is relaxation therapy! On a hectic day, I close my eyes and let my imagination take me to my favorite place. I feel the warmth of the sun, hear the wind whistling among the birches and breathe in the fragrances of the season. Or, on a particularly hot day, I visualize the cooling effects of snowflakes by silently embracing the euphoric sensations I feel when they land on my eyebrows, my nose and more.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Meditate
0 Kudos
Contributor

Talking with a friend....exercise... Make sure I'm eating a proper healthy diet.. But with dark chocolate added makes the world go round and try to stay positive about things
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

How about a couple of beers.  It's been my go-to for almost 80 years!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Imagine that you and every other person is wairing a backpack.. Sometimes people will hand you a rock from their backpack. Sometimes you may just pickup a rock and put it in your backpack. Those rocks are stress. But notice something -- you pickup the "rock" or you take the "rock" offered by another person. You willingly take the "rock" and put it in your backpack. Yes, stress can be all around you, but you have to accept the stress (adding it to your backpack). The more rocks you add, the harder it is to complete the journey. The thing is, there is no rule or law that says you have to accept the rock.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@dr7658 wrote:
Imagine that you and every other person is wairing a backpack.. Sometimes people will hand you a rock from their backpack. Sometimes you may just pickup a rock and put it in your backpack. Those rocks are stress. But notice something -- you pickup the "rock" or you take the "rock" offered by another person. You willingly take the "rock" and put it in your backpack. Yes, stress can be all around you, but you have to accept the stress (adding it to your backpack). The more rocks you add, the harder it is to complete the journey. The thing is, there is no rule or law that says you have to accept the rock.

Catchy analogy, but perhaps a bit idealistic in real life!

What if the "rock" is more hours your company expects you to work in unpaid OT, because they haven't replaced someone who retired? What if the "rock" is elderly parents who need your help, because they aren't ready to admit that they need a caregiver, and not helping may mean they'll get hurt doing something themselves? What if the "rock" is having to deal with the complexity of medical claims & insurance coverage, and the only alternative to following up is paying more than you really have to?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I start cleaning---- deep cleaning. Cabinets, closets, etc. it clears my mind and helps afterward to feel better about my surroundings.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

"....I start cleaning---- deep cleaning. Cabinets, closets, etc. it clears my mind and helps afterward to feel better about my surroundings.....".

When you feel like this, please give me a call.  I have lots of closets to help you feel better!  Smiley Happy

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."

TODAY;  There are two days in every week about which we should not worry; which should be kept free from fear and apprehension.

One is yesterday with its mistkes and cares, its faults and blunders, its aches and pains.  Yesterday has passed forever beyond our control.  All the money in the world cannot bring back yesterday.  We cannot undo a single act or erase a single word we said.  Yesterday is gone.  It is history.

The other day is tomorrow with its possible adversaries, its blunders its large promises and poor performances.  Tomorrow is beyone our immediate control. Tomorrow is unborn.

This leaves today.  You can fight the battles of today.  God won't give you more than HE knows that you can handle.  The yesterdays and tomorrows break down most people.  It's the remorse or bitterness for something which happened yesterday and the dread of tommorow drives men (and women) mad.  

Author Unknown

0 Kudos

It basically says in the Bible 365 times, Do not worry.  I take that meaning as to do that everyday.  So I don't worry.  I don't let others control how I react to their moods or their poor attitudes towards me or towards others.  You can't change yesterday, its history.  Tomorrow isn't here yet so why worry about it.  Most things some people worry about they can't do anything about anyway.  I have a page written about that, called  TODAY.  It's too long to put here.  I add it to my books and writings that I do and my trivia columns.

Have a nice day and enjoy it.  

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Amen to that in Jesus name
Margreta Maple
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

"...... basically says in the Bible 365 times, Do not worry. ... So I don't worry. ......You can't change yesterday, its history.  Tomorrow isn't here yet so why worry about it.  Most things some people worry about they can't do anything about anyway....." 

___________________________________________

The Bible,  wg5651?   Hell, no  -  Clearly You're a follower of Buddhism !  

Just about the most famous quotation of all from Buddha   --------

"Do not dwell in the past,

Do not dream of the future, 

Concentrate the mind on the present moment"

Welcome to the group   

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Amen,and let me add to this: 

Honestly,by grace and faith in the Lord,and with the divine help of God's Holy Spirit, I pray everyday,and go before God with thanksgiving and praise. By revelation I receive His Mercies that are new every morning,I receive His unconditional love for me,everyday I receive His divine peace that passes all understand for me,I receive His great grace daily, and through His mercy,His love,His peace,His grace,His lovingkindness can be extended through me to others as unto HIM. This destroys any stress that tries to come near me. By faith I've learned to take everything,and I mean everything to God in prayer with thanksgiving believing for Him to show Himself strong and mighty on my behalve and for all my concerns and cares which I daily surrender to HIM in Jesus name.

Lamentations 3:22-23 
 It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.

Psalm 34:1-4, Psalm 100:4-5, Psalm 69:30,John 14:27, I could give you more Scriptures,but you get the message,Right?

Margreta Maple
Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

GIRL, HOW CAN I NOT?! 

Can you tell I am excited about the responses? It is good to read that many of us are focused on the real things that matter. Such energy joined together can change many hearts and minds toward prosperity!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I do meditations to help with stress. But first, get a guide that you trust completely. My guide gives me counselling and advising. He is my healer & protector. I do meditations about 3-5x daily
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@cs52209111 wrote:
I do meditations to help with stress. But first, get a guide that you trust completely. My guide gives me counselling and advising. He is my healer & protector. I do meditations about 3-5x daily

Can you explain a little more please? Your choice of words sounds a little cult-ish. When we meditate, we're deliberately open to suggestion; I'm not sure I'd want a facilitator to be "advising" me, nor would I consider them a "healer" or "protector".

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

How  do  you  deal  with  stress?

Jack Daniels  

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP