Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

How do you deal with stress?

I am a person who likes to move.  When I am stressed out I always try to take a 30 minute walk.  Sometimes when really stressed I have gone for 2 hour walks and they always seem to help.  What do you do?

AARPTeri

How do read the replies that someone sends to someone else?  Or, know that they have someone's comment about what they said?  I'm not that sharp on this computer stuff.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@wg5651 wrote:

How do read the replies that someone sends to someone else?  Or, know that they have someone's comment about what they said?  I'm not that sharp on this computer stuff.

There are 3 basic ways to communicate in Online Community:

- Private message - Goes to the other person's Inbox & no one else sees it.

- Reply in general to a Discussion - Use Blue REPLY button on the upper left of a discussion.

- Reply to a specific post in a Discussion - Use the Red REPLY button in the lower right of that post. If you just type in your own reply in the entry pane, there will be no visible connection to the post to which you're responding. BUT if you use the "Quote" function first - at the right above the entry pane - it copies the post to which you're responding. Once the quote is in the entry pane, you can edit out anything you don't want, leaving just enough to connect your response to the original post. Then type your own response underneath that.

Everything NOT in a private message, can be seen by everyone else reading the discussion.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Anyone who thinks that retirement will eliminate stress, will probably be disappointed. Anyone who thinks that having a comfortable nest egg will eliminate stress, will also probably be disappointed. As long as we're alive, we'll probably have to deal with the inefficiencies of "the system", and other people .. which can be frustrating. The goal has to be trying to make the best of it anyway, and not letting things like that "get to us" .. sometimes easier said than done!

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@EveRH wrote:

Anyone who thinks that retirement will eliminate stress, will probably be disappointed.

Retirement may not eliminate stress (what can other than death), but it can greatly reduce it which of course wll depend on the person.

In my case, it greatly reduced it.

I can see people in retirement without interests and hobbies having stress issues.

Alex
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Stress?

I took early retirement at 56. I no longer get stressed out due to the bleep at work and the drive to and from work.

I chose a huge cut in pay partly due to an early retirement penalty. It was worth it. Money is no good to you when you are in a pine box and now I am enjoying travelling and my hobbies.

Alex
0 Kudos
Contributor

I find that my stress is often coused by over-focus on something, be it a work deadline , health concern or an interpersonal issue. I combat that kind of stress by moving that focus to something else. Sometimes physical exertion combined with a different focus, like: bike riding, or gardening. Sometimes sorting out something hands-on helps me sort out a stressful problem, so I will work on beading, which requires lots of sorting, or straighten a closet, drawer or filing cabinet. Somehow, putting order into something puts order into my thoughts and feelings. 

Contributor

I do tai Chi.  I have found I cannot sit and meditate, my mind wants to move. LOL

I have found that the movement of tai chi helps my body and the focus on those movements helps my mind not focus on the stress causing things in my life.  

Each Tai Chi style is different so you have to check out a class to see whats right for you.   I like Yang style, school of San Bao Pai (three treasure system).   

Good luck to you all. 

elder norm

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

As I age I'm finding more things stress me out than when I was younger.  And ironically as I age, what I want most out of life besides good health, is less stress! If I feel myself starting to stress I really just have a good talk with myself about how 98% of the things I worry about never materialize in a negative way, that I'm more worried about results than anyone else arround me, and that even if things don't go well, the consequences are minor and/or short lived and not nearly as painful as the energy wasted on the stress. It works most of the time.

amcoffiebean
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I take a break during the day by taking my car to a park, as far away from other people as possible, and I listen to music on my car's radio. I also think back to happy, stress-free incidences from my childhood and relive the moments.  If all else fails, when I'm home, I pet my two cats! 

Social Butterfly

I don't have much stress in retirement, but when I do, i take it out on the trampoline.
Periodic Contributor

First, I don't get stressed too much, but when I do it's because of something that I don't have any control over.  At that point I talk to myself as to why I don't have any control.  By the time I'm finished with my own theory, I'm o-k.  But if I can't talk myself out of it I listen to happy music.  I don't believe in getting stress about my own actions because as an adult I should know that all actions have consequences be it positive or negative. 

To handle stress it is important to realize that nothing happens unless God has allowed it to happen ---good and bad! When I recognize His authority and desire to love me, I am able to pass the burden along to Him. The Bible has many scriptures to guide a person to the comfort that God provides. Also, books like "Trusting God" by Jerry Bridges helps give guidance for living through (yes through) stressful situations.
wank
0 Kudos

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

When I can, I listen to music. I smoke too much when stressed.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

smoke don't good for health
0 Kudos
Contributor

First, breathe - just b-r-e-a-t-h-e - feeling my breath slide in and out reclaiming my focus, slowing down, regrouping.  Then I look at myself in the mirror, reorganize my thoughts and move forward.  Now I'm ready to tackle what lies ahead of me.

Periodic Contributor

As a Certified Clinical Aromatherapist, I use therapeutic essential oils as a lifestyle so I don't have a lot of unresolved stress.  When I know I'm going to be in a stressful environment, I'm proactive and prepare myself with specific single essential oils or blends and the bad stress turns into good stress and it moves me into being jovial and focused on the task/issue at hand rather than any negativity. For more info about the scientific evidence, check out one of my fav references on the Science Daily website. Stop and Smell the Flowers - The Scent Can Really Soothe Stress 

Caution, know your resource, not all brands are really therapeutic.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I will take a walk if possible. If I am not able to walk I will do some deep cleaning at home. By the time you are finished your stress level is down and you feel good seeing that you have done something to improve your surroundings.

Periodic Contributor

My personal expereince i am sharing with you. When i was in stress i listen music, eating healthy foods. You can also meet those friends with whom you can share your problems due to this you will get some relief.  I hope this works with you.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@PaulG415843  Music is such a great way to alleviate stress, I often take a long walk while listening to music - it is a great reliever!

AARPTeri
Periodic Contributor

When it comes to dealing with stress, I listen to Moon River and Pachelbel.  My body just completely unwinds.

Contributor

meditation and yoga save me

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Have worked out 1-2 hours a day since age 30. So, I relieved a lot of stress.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Trusted Contributor

Everyone's a victim who's surprised by negativity or sin. I'm one who's trying to get over it.
0 Kudos

"While you may find yourself to be a target, whether it be a target of someone else or nature itself, only you can make you a victim." - Rev. J.T. Smith

Super Contributor

Isaiah 41:10  God said : Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

Thank God who goes before us to fight against the enemy,and to save us for His glory to be revealed in our life that's in Christ Jesus. Only God knows how to better deal with the enemy than we do,so when people touch God's anointed they are really touching HIM,and vengence belongs to HIM. So all we can do is PRAY for our enemies,just like Jesus said to do and God will deal with the enemy. When we start to PRAISE God,that's when HE will give us the VICTORY through CHRIST JESUS.   Revelation when our ways PLEASE HIM(GOD),HE will make our enemies be at peace with us in Jesus name.
Deuteronomy 1:30 The Lord your God which goeth before you, he shall fight for you,
Deuteronomy 3:22Ye shall not fear them: for the Lord your God he shall fight for you
Deuteronomy 20:4For the Lord your God is he that goeth with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you.
Proverbs 16:7 When a man's(person) ways please the Lord, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him.
Psalm 105:15 Saying, Touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm.

Jesus said in Matthew 4:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

1 Corinthians 15:57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Encourage you to read 11 Chronicles Chapter 20

Have a Happy Blessed New Year in Jesus Name

Margreta Maple
Super Contributor

Isaiah 41:10  God said : Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

Thank God who goes before us to fight against the enemy,and to save us for His glory to be revealed in our life that's in Christ Jesus. Only God knows how to better deal with the enemy than we do,so when people touch God's anointed they are really touching HIM,and vengence belongs to HIM. So all we can do is PRAY for our enemies,just like Jesus said to do and God will deal with the enemy. When we start to PRAISE God,that's when HE will give us the VICTORY through CHRIST JESUS.   Revelation when our ways PLEASE HIM(GOD),HE will make our enemies be at peace with us in Jesus name.(Deuteronomy 1:30 The Lord your God which goeth before you, he shall fight for you),(Deuteronomy 3:22 Ye shall not fear them: for the Lord your God he shall fight for you).(Deuteronomy 20:4 For the Lord your God is he that goeth with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you). (Proverbs 16:7  When a man's(person) ways please the Lord, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him).(Psalm 105:15  Saying, Touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm). Jesus said in Matthew 4:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; (1 Corinthians 15:57  But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ).

Encourage you to read ( 2 Chronicles chapter 20)

Have a Happy Blessed New Year in Jesus Name

Margreta Maple
Trusted Contributor

During the HOLIDAYS our STRESS levels often INCREASE.
How can this be ? Well, mad shopping, holiday lines, crazy hectic travel, family squabbles, financial stress and not being able to say NO to invites and overextending yourself.
I was alerted to this by a Health blog article. I couldn't believe how much of it is true.

Here is a few quotes from the article :

"The Holidays and winter can be wonderful but keep in mind the grinchy side effects, such as The common cold, and holiday stress.
The holiday season should be a time of relaxing. Depending on where you are, snow outside the living room window, fireplace flames and knowing you have a few days off, spending more time with your family and less time at work is great. Often the reality is shoveling snow, buying gifts in a rush and traveling madly to visit friends and family.

Many people that their stress levels are higher during the holiday season. It’s never the situation that causes the stress: it’s how we feel about the situation itself that makes us feel good or bad.

Here are a few ways that the Holidays can put stress on your health.

Saying “yes” to everything
If we are eating and we aren’t hungry, that's not good. When we say yes to every commitment, we get overextended. Drinking or over-eating is then a side effect. Say yes to what you really want to attend. Saying no to holiday parties means saying yes to your peace and health.

Drinking too much
Drinking too much alcohol when you’re hanging out with friends can be bad for your health and downright embarrassing, but drinking too much alcohol in front of your boss or peers can be downright detrimental to your career.

Going to a place hungry
Going to any holiday party hungry erases any logical decision making when it comes to eating. Same goes for shopping. Don't do it. Eat a light snack before you go out."

Ain't it the truth.
I pray for a peaceful 2018 Holiday period.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I've done a lot of walking too!

Now, I try to avoid stress, if I can. I'm invited to a meeting next week, where I know I disagree with the other committee members on almost everything .. so I've decided not to go; it's just not worth the aggrevation! I've been thinking more about that expression, "Do you want to be right, or do you want to be happy?" I'd rather be happy, and they can find out the hard way how their decisions will work out .. without me.

Regular Contributor

@EveRH
I like the way you think!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP