Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you deal with stress?

Message 101 of 116

I find that my stress is often coused by over-focus on something, be it a work deadline , health concern or an interpersonal issue. I combat that kind of stress by moving that focus to something else. Sometimes physical exertion combined with a different focus, like: bike riding, or gardening. Sometimes sorting out something hands-on helps me sort out a stressful problem, so I will work on beading, which requires lots of sorting, or straighten a closet, drawer or filing cabinet. Somehow, putting order into something puts order into my thoughts and feelings. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 102 of 116

I do tai Chi.  I have found I cannot sit and meditate, my mind wants to move. LOL

I have found that the movement of tai chi helps my body and the focus on those movements helps my mind not focus on the stress causing things in my life.  

Each Tai Chi style is different so you have to check out a class to see whats right for you.   I like Yang style, school of San Bao Pai (three treasure system).   

Good luck to you all. 

elder norm

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 103 of 116

As I age I'm finding more things stress me out than when I was younger.  And ironically as I age, what I want most out of life besides good health, is less stress! If I feel myself starting to stress I really just have a good talk with myself about how 98% of the things I worry about never materialize in a negative way, that I'm more worried about results than anyone else arround me, and that even if things don't go well, the consequences are minor and/or short lived and not nearly as painful as the energy wasted on the stress. It works most of the time.

amcoffiebean
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 104 of 116

I take a break during the day by taking my car to a park, as far away from other people as possible, and I listen to music on my car's radio. I also think back to happy, stress-free incidences from my childhood and relive the moments.  If all else fails, when I'm home, I pet my two cats! 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 105 of 116
I don't have much stress in retirement, but when I do, i take it out on the trampoline.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 106 of 116
To handle stress it is important to realize that nothing happens unless God has allowed it to happen ---good and bad! When I recognize His authority and desire to love me, I am able to pass the burden along to Him. The Bible has many scriptures to guide a person to the comfort that God provides. Also, books like "Trusting God" by Jerry Bridges helps give guidance for living through (yes through) stressful situations.
wank
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 107 of 116

First, I don't get stressed too much, but when I do it's because of something that I don't have any control over.  At that point I talk to myself as to why I don't have any control.  By the time I'm finished with my own theory, I'm o-k.  But if I can't talk myself out of it I listen to happy music.  I don't believe in getting stress about my own actions because as an adult I should know that all actions have consequences be it positive or negative. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 108 of 116

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 109 of 116

When I can, I listen to music. I smoke too much when stressed.

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 110 of 116

First, breathe - just b-r-e-a-t-h-e - feeling my breath slide in and out reclaiming my focus, slowing down, regrouping.  Then I look at myself in the mirror, reorganize my thoughts and move forward.  Now I'm ready to tackle what lies ahead of me.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Introducing jen43, one of our featured ACEs! Check out their profile and fill yours out, today!

Meet an ACE

Top Authors