Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How do you deal with pain without using medication?

Community Manager
Community Manager

How do you deal with pain without using medication?

Do you have other ways of dealing with pain?  Read AARP's article and share your comments here:  https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2018/pain-management-without-prescriptions.ht...

AARPTeri
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I do cannabis, it helps with my pain, anxieties, migraines and helps me with my sleep. I have even got off of narcotics, now that's a plus.  I take cannabis with me everywhere with me. That's in this state. Never travel out of your state with cannabis it is a against of the law. But if you have a medical licensing, like I do you can buy cannabis in a dispenceery. There is flower, editables, tenitures. There are so many ways you can use and microdose your cannabis. If you don't want to get high. Use CBD oil or vape.  There is no THC only no getting high. Or you can use the salve.

Kudos
Views
Contributor

I have Lupus, Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis since 1995. I am 67 years old and have never taken anything stronger than an Aleve or Diloflanac gel. I watch what I eat and I exercise which helps the most. When I am not exercising I try to stay active any way I can by gardening and riding my bike. I find movement works best. Heat is also great. Sometimes I do have severe swelling and pain and may need a cortisone shot but itโ€™s rare. After I was diagnosed I managed to continue working my full time job until I retired at 62. I still work part-time.

Regular Contributor

I agree, activity is like oil!

Periodic Contributor

I just started on this protocol and highly recommend it:  http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/

Also check out this talk, very entertaining education on Pain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCF1_Fs00nM&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR1JvB2TNzUHwjHPaHGalqHTD7evCl_Mh...

And I tried more action. Sometimes I swim. Sometimes I go to yoga. I alternate different tasks  

I smoked almost continuously. It was the worst decision, I still donโ€™t know how it came to my mind. Well, that this hell behind. I can say from my own experience - smoking is not the way out. Such is the advice. better try then e cigarette liquid buy https://www.mygadget.us It helps me to relax and have a little breath. Distracts from bad sensations in the bodyCat Embarassed

Contributor

Pain is debilitating, interfering with the ability to sleep, work, and enjoy life. It can aggravate other health conditions and lead to depression and anxiety symptoms. Relieving it often requires a trial-and-error approach that embraces the whole person, not just the source, which cannot always be identified clearly. Many people find it useful to choose from a menu of different pain treatments and remedies, combining them in a regimen that fits their lifestyles.

Periodic Contributor

I use cannabis oils and editables with THC and CBD. I always use indica, not sativa. Mircrodose it till you find the right dose to help with the pain and inflammatory. Cannabis also helps with your sleep.

Regular Contributor

In our early 70's, my wife and I eat lots of high quality fats, minimize carbs, eat lots of veggies, eat moderate animal meat (grass-fed only; no meat from corporate meat farms), eat lots of eggs (free range hens only), avoid all wheat products, avoid all cow's milk and absolutely avoid anything that lists sugar on the list of ingredients. Also, we eat fruit in minimal amounts; note that a ripe banana is loaded with unhealthy sugar. Also, the pure fruit juices such as 100% orange juice or any other juice are similarly loaded with sugar, natural fructose is still unhealthy sugar ! This way of eating is not pure keto and is definitely not vegan. It works. After decades of chronic back pain and dealing with acid reflux, my wife is now pain free, as a direct result of eating healthy. I have suffered from excruciating sciatic nerve pain in both legs, horrible migraines, high BP, high cholesterol, and was pre-diabetic.  All of those problems are now completely gone; no more pain, zero and all done without any prescription meds ! Another benefit is that I saw my weight go from 192 to 160 over a year's time (6 ft male). That gradual weight loss alone was a plus.

Contributor

I am a yoga teacher and walker. I use CBD oil and Copaiba oil sub lingually and topically.  Effective. No contraindications. Both have helped me reduce taking IB for pain and discomfort to almost nil.

Periodic Contributor

I use the the oils also, but I mostly take 10mg of THC and CBD edibles. It takes most of my pain, also I'm very active I go swimming twice a week for an hour each time and I try to go to the gym at least once a week. I use SilverSneaker's. which you get if you have United Health Care  Insurance. You get the card for free and you can go to 15,000 different gyms and recreation places all for free! This is for Colorado, but they have them national. Hopefully you find some relief.

Periodic Contributor

I was on opiod's for several years. OD after OD and after OD. I just got tired of it, going in and out of hospitals. That I started using cannabis. Now I'm off of all opioid's. Cannabis helped took me off after a little over year. Now  actually can say. I am completely free of opiod's . I feel so much better, I am healthier and I go swimming twice a week I go to the gym twice a week now.. My husband and I get along so well.  He is not embarrass of me or Idon't imbarrass myself. Because that we go out do stuff like a normal couple would do. I love life again

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

I use Quell (a wearable TENS unit); walk daily, engage in classes daily both for the movement and the social connection - Tai Chi, Oseo Pilates, Urban Zen Yoga Nidra.  I swim once a week in an indoor pool all year through as it is the only form of semi-aerobic exercise I can still do.  I take natural supplements and try to eat a highly anti-inflammatory diet (Dr Andrew Weil has a pyramid on line).  I also see a chiro regularly and about to start a session with a pain psychologist.

Contributor

I take Glucosamine tablets. It has cured my constant back problems. Iโ€™m now pain free. Iโ€™m 75 years young now. Many of my friends also take the tablets.

Periodic Contributor

I have spinal stenosis with 3 levels fused in my neck as well as inflammatory arthritis.  Iโ€™m 53. I cant take NSAIDs due to allergies.  I have found exercise to keep muscles around the joints strong to be very helpful.  I take a turmeric supplement, eat foods with omega 3s, and drink tart cherry juice daily. I wear IMAK arthritic gloves at night, along with splints for my thumb and wrist. Doing these things allow me to get through active days with only 3 Tylenol 

Social Butterfly

Is cannabis considered medication?

Periodic Contributor

I use Hemp oil, CBD,  cousin to cannabis. It helps me to sleep and relieves inflamation as well as some nerve pain.

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

a natural cannabis remedy, THC/CBD via micro dosing and always an indica strain, not sativa!

Contributor

Although I am not considered gluten sensitive, when I do a gluten free diet and also eliminate sugar, many of the aches and pains I have disappear.  I have found that chocolate also causes me to have achey joints.  

Contributor

I use a soft cold pack every morning for about an hour.  I'm fortunate to have an Infrared Sauna that I get in for an hour before I get in bed.  I'm 90 years old, diagnosed about 6 years ago with spinal stenosis.  After 2 cortisone shots that helped immensely, I was put on Celebrex as needed, but  after a later diagnosis of possible kidney disease I knew I needed to get off all NSAID's.  

Periodic Contributor

The pain in my arms and hands, especially the right, can be extremely intense in the morning. It actually wakes me in the middle of the night sometimes - usually the right because I'm right-handed. Because I do not like pill-popping to control it, my Dr. gave me Voltaren Gel, topical ointment that is available by prescription. Before going to bed, I will use a heating pad for approximately 30 min., on my neck and shoulders, apply the Voltaren Gel from my neck to my knuckles, let it absorb and then use Kinesiology Therapeutic (KTape) tape at the hands and wrists. I do this at least 4 nights a week or just when I feel I might need it. Most times it helps and the pain will not wake me during the middle of the night. If I forget or fall asleep before, laying on my right side, I'm in trouble. I stick with over the counter pain pills, but no more than 3 per day (Tylenol or Aleve). I have had physical therapy and also have a medical grade stimulator which I can use. Doing what I can to avoid prescription pain pills. Open to suggestions.

Periodic Contributor

I use  Essential Oils and Tumeric.  Try to do 10,000 steps a day.  It helps 80%. I recently started and expect greater things as I continue in my journey.

Regular Contributor

I do self hypnosis daily while riding an inside cycle for 25 minutes, no pains ever and walk 12,000 steps daily! Positive addiction, no meds

Contributor

I use a TENS unit that I purchased online for significant relief chronic back pain. Hot pad at night and ice after recreation 

Regular Contributor

Anti-Inflammatory foods, such as pineapples, cherries, blueberries, etc.  5 ozs. in the morning & evening, along with exercises such as walking, stretching, etc.

Contributor

I haven"t used pain meds in such a long time! I will be 59 years old in May and have been taking plant based supplements now for almost 5 years! 

It targets our second brain which is our gut! Also inflammation and blood sugar!

I feel like I am in my 20's!! So thankful!

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP