With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How Fast You Walk As You Age May Predict Lifespan

Message 21 of 82

roberts258723 wrote:

Hello I am 61 and I walk five miles daily approximately 90 

Hi and thanks for sharing.  So I have some questions.  

Do you walk for pleasure or strictly for exercise ?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 82

@roberts258723  Yep: we have bright yellow and orange flags on our trikes. Also we wear hi vis helmets, jerseys, tights, jackets, socks, shoes, scarves ... and we have a loud clown horn. Smiley Happy As well, our trikes are a neon green/yellow. We still ride defensively. Smiley Happy (That's just a picture I snagged offa da 'net for illustration purposes.)

We find that we are easily visible. Other trail users tell us they can see us a long way away. Smiley Happy We find that drivers give us wide berth. (though we are very very careful about what roads we take, and report any safety concerns to the road crew)

We've ridden 8,000 miles in 2 years (which many serious bikers would say is a pittance). And we find that riding so much has absolutely helped us walk even faster. We now move at 4 mph on our walks. Often faster.

Cross training is the bomb! Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 82

I totally agree with you

Riding a recumbent bike is more natural and you can go long distances

You do need to have a Flag attached to your bike so you can be seen

I see people on Recumbents in Chicago. A bit scary for me because you are lower than a automobile

In the Forest Preserve and not major city areas is where I would ride a Recumbent because of the lack of traffic

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 82

@roberts258723  Actually, we don't have shocks on our recumbent trikes, so while the tires do absorb some of the shock, our bodies take the brunt of it. This is why we race and train on paved surfaces. Some recumbents have shocks, but as we race ours, we chose to do without the added weight.

I stretch legs and ankles each day before getting out of bed, but guess I walk around enough on my hillside farm that I don't typically feel a need to stretch them before our 5 mile walk. DH, on the other hand, does stretch before our walk. Otherwise he'll feel the need to stretch while going up the first big hill.

I stretch before a 50-70 mile ride because it's such a workout. Here's what a recumbent trike looks like:

recumbent trike.jpg

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 82

Remember walking uses your legs muscles differently than Bike Riding

When you are riding a bike the tires and shocks absorb the conditions for the road and sidewalks

When you walk the muscles in your legs does the job of absorbing the shocks on the sidewalks and road

So stretching for 15 minutes or more is very important

I started a few minutes at a time and then increased the time

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 82

My Brother Ben keeps reminding me about stretching and he stretches his leg muscles at least 15 minutes before and after walking

I also try to touch my toes for several minutes

Ben keeps reminding me about Shin Splints and if that occurs.I could be laid up for several days

At Planet Fitness Health Club,they have equipment that have that allows me to move my legs back and forth and this prevents Shin Splints

There is variable resistance 

I have started five minutes at a time and now several months later I am up to twenty minutes

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 82

@roberts258723  15 minute stretches seem excessive. (I stretch leg muscle groups for 90-120 seconds before and after a 50-70 mile bike ride.) Do you hold each muscle group stretch for 5 minutes? How did you come to stretch for such a length of time? Inquiring minds want to know. Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 82

Hello I am 61 and I walk five miles daily approximately 90 minutes

Remember to stretch your legs muscles at least 15 minutes for each leg,Before and after your walk

I reside in Skokie Illinois right now the temperature is forty degrees but has go the high teens

Dress in layers during the cold weather

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 82

@roberts258723 wrote:

@roberts258723  Go Bob! Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 82

Kudos
Views