Federal Trade Commission Cracks Down on Fake Charities For Exploiting Support for Veterans. Find Out More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: How Fast You Walk As You Age May Predict Lifespan

Message 1 of 82

DorothyJ710077 wrote:

I like walking too, but I am an evening walker but I could walk any time if I have someone to walk with I am looking for someone close to my neighborhood to walk with. I will be 67yrs young this year and I am enjoying life too it doesn't get much better than this.

Unlike you I don't like walking with someone else.. you have to match your speed, and others want to talk and that is not why I am out there.  Try checking on your local social media boards for walking groups, or at your senior center or church or other social areas.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 82

cookin44 wrote:

I went to this post because the title intrigued me.  I have gone through many of the posts and still have found nothing that addresses the title.  Is it out there, do I need to read all 62 posts to actually find out the answer to the question "How Fast You Walk As You Age May Predict Lifespan"?  It's so frustrating to see a topic like that and then to not find what the actual answer is to the question.

Well like with any topic, go to the original posted topic and you should see any links or associated information.  Does that answer your question?

For this topic, this was it.

How Fast You Walk As You Age May Predict Lifespan
Message 81 of 81

How Fast You Walk As You Age May Predict Your Lifespan
Natural Gait Speed Test Indicates Your Remaining Years

By Wendy Bumgardner | Reviewed by Richard N. Fogoros, MD
Updated September 26, 2017

Are you proud that you can keep up with your grandkids when walking? If so, that's a good indication that you have many years still ahead of you. Studies show that past age 65, your walking speed at your natural pace is a surprisingly reliable predictor of survival. Measuring gait speed over a short distance, such as across a room (13 feet or 4 meters) is a useful tool for doctors to set appropriate treatment and care goals for aging individuals.

https://www.verywell.com/how-fast-you-walk-may-predict-your-lifespan-4150312

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Info Seeker

Message 3 of 82

With my fitbit as my motivation, I get my 10,000 steps walking the sidewalks in Folsom, trails or on my treadmill. My pace is 20 minute mile. I am a morning walker. I prefer the outdoors to my treadmill. But instaed of walking around during the afternoon while most people are at work, I resort to my treadmill. A grea place to get 6 miles is on the folsom lake levie. From the El Dorado Hill side to Folsom Lake Crossing and back may do the trick. And you get a great Lake view in the process.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 82

invest in yourself, you'll enjoy it I invest in my self when I can.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 82

I like walking too, but I am an evening walker but I could walk any time if I have someone to walk with I am looking for someone close to my neighborhood to walk with. I will be 67yrs young this year and I am enjoying life too it doesn't get much better than this.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 82

I'm 67 & keep in excellent condition. I walk very fast on trails, not near streets where drivers are distaracted by thier cell phones. I ride my bicycle 2 1/2 hrs. like a wind sprint. I'm an expert snow skier. I do streaches every morning. I agree that walking fast or slow makes no difference whether someone doesn't look in both directions when crossing a street. They are either being just plain stupid or are also distracted by thier cell phones. Keep in great condition & you'lll feel great & have less pain. It's your life! Do you want to spend the last years of your life sitting in a wheelchair at a nursing home? And be careful!

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 82
good post, thanks for the information
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 8 of 82

You must still be young...enjoy it while you can. Your body will let you know when its time to stretch longer, hopefully before you start getting shin splints. They are excruciating!

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 9 of 82

I began getting shin splints 20 years ago. Even now they come back any time I'm in a hurry, putting me on the sidelines. I used to walk up and down a hill 3 - 4 times a week but cannot do so anymore, stretching or no stretching - the shin splints come right back in 1 or both legs.

The moral of this story is make sure you never get them in the 1st place - stretch regularly!

Gold Conversationalist

Message 10 of 82

For me personally, My Parents didn't invest in my Life.

I  can understand what you are saying, But there has been plenty of times when I had the right of way and the individual driver didn't not yield the Right Of Way.