Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How Do You Coordinate Times for Meds and Supplements

Bronze Conversationalist

How Do You Coordinate Times for Meds and Supplements

Over the last year I've added a bunch of supplements to my health maintenance habits (fortunately able to  resist all prescription meds so far). What with some meant to be taken 30 minutes before or after a meal, with food, at bedtime, on empty stomach, etc, I'm wondering if there is an easy way to coordinate all this timing. Asking because I'm finding that I forget to take those that are awkwardly timed, or feel like my life is revolving around watching the clock.

Besides posting a daily check list on the fridge, does anyone have any better methods for tracking and taking meds or supplements?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol @DeahWA I keep it simple = blood pressure pill as soon as I get up = or I will forget = senior moment. 🤣😂 I usually take my women's 50+ multi at dinner. Hmmm, I need to go read both bottles. Your post made me realize some meds are with food, some not. 🙄 Great post as usual!!! Angela

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Sometimes @DeahWA , tying an already established activity with a new one helps. An example would be taking supplements before you brush your teeth. I use my recycled little scoopers that come in my protein powder to store my morning meds. So, the minute I get up in the morning, I put my meds. in the scooper ( both in my bathroom vanity ) and walk it to the kitchen table and put them at my place. Then I can do my other activities: daily devotional, journaling, prep breakfast and walking the neighborhood with my hubby. We get back, eat breakfast, and my meds are there waiting for me. I don't have to think later, did I take my meds? . I only have one I take at bedtime.  So, before I sit down for dinner, I put the one pill in another of my handy dandy scoopers, and put it on my night stand.  A bit wordy, but hope that helps.  Christine

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Thanks @Rhymesometimes that's actually quite similar to what I've been doing. Today I loaded up my little mini dixie cup with all the take with food supps, but got distracted half way through the bunch -- 2 of this, 3 of those, 4 of something else, 2 big ones, 1 small one, etc -- and kept overlooking the most important ones, the super huge lutein for eyesight, for about 3 hours because I didn't see them in the see-through plastic cup. LOL 

I can see why when my mom moved into assisted living they put all her supplements away in a locked cabinet in her apartment, and the LP administered them every day.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@DeahWA Glad you "see" the irony in that situation.  We laugh or we cry;  I choose laughter. 😂  How many different times of the day do you take your supplements? Christine

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@Rhymesometimes Indeed. Laughter for me too. There's so much to laugh at!! 

I should really look at the labels and be more precise, but I generally tend to take most twice, around late breakfast / early noon and supper, but the CoQ-10 I try to take first thing in the morning, since it's the odd one out, 20 minutes before food. Some times an iron tablet at bed if my legs are restless.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP