With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Home made solutions for preventing colds/flu

Message 11 of 21

I have gargled with Apple Cider Vinegar for years with any sign of sore throat or cold,  I also clean and wipe down surfaces when kids and I come down with anything we think may be contagious.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 21

Elderberry also comes in gummies Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 21

I didn't realize until I read this comment that I haven't had a cold/flu for about three years since I started taking 5,000iu's of vitamin D3 daily. My vitamin D blood results came back low and are normal now.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 21

Isn't 2000 a bit high?  My doctor has me on 1000, but I don't feel as good as you. I have trouble in the winter, as well, having SAD. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 21

It's not vitamin C that you need. It's vitamin D3 the sunshine pill. Ever since I started taking 2000 IU a day, I don't get colds. I've been doing this for many years. If I start to feel run down or I might be getting sick, I take double the dosage and the next day I'm fine again. Most people are deficienct in D3, especially when the days get shorter and less sunlight.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 21

That’s exactly what I have done for years, and never get a cold, I also eat well, exercise, wash my hands frequently, take vitamin supplements and I am 79 years old.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 21
Traditional Medicinal "breathe easy" tea. I have no health problems, this tea 3x a day for 3 days works wonder. Keeps the respitory system clear, which I believe, helps me. This tea includes licorice root, and some people can not take that due, I think, to their blood pressure. Am not a doc, so not sure if that is the reason. Check first, but then if all systems are go, why not try it?
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 21

Elderberry in any form—tea, syrup, cough drops, tablets—a proven anti-viral.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 21

From Mayo Clinic on taking high dosage vitamin C:

".......Possible interactions include:

• Aluminum. Taking vitamin C can increase your absorption of aluminum from medications containing aluminum, such as phosphate binders. This can be harmful for people with kidney problems.
  • Chemotherapy. There is concern that use of antioxidants, such as vitamin C, during chemotherapy might reduce the drug's effect.
  • Estrogen. Taking vitamin C with oral contraceptive or hormone replacement therapy might increase your estrogen levels.
  • Protease inhibitors. Oral use of vitamin C might reduce the effect of these antiviral drugs.
  • Statins and niacin. Taking vitamin C with niacin, which might benefit people with high cholesterol, could reduce niacin's effect.
  • Warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven). High doses of vitamin C might reduce your response to this anticoagulant...".  

I'm always against advice for 'taking a pill' for which this society has an obsession. Want to prevent colds? Diet, exercise, proper sleep, proper hand washing (or better, sanitizer). The stuff you should be doing every day.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 21
Vitamin C in high doses.
Here is Dr. Andrew Saul explaining why.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5Bgdqsorg0
Here is the kind I take : https://www.nutricelebrity.com/now-foods-vitamin-c1000-250-vegetarian-capsules
I never get sick! Of course I also eat healthy veggies.
Kudos
Views