Do vitamins and supplements really work? Get your questions answered by leading brain health experts.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Home Remedies That May Be Worth A Try (Harvard Health Blog)

Message 11 of 18

I certainly agree about using magnesium for leg cramps. One thing I will suggest is please do not take too much magnesium. You should ask your doctor what is the best for you. I had an incident where I was camping and I was having more cramps than usual even though I was taking magnesium. I developed diarrhea and I thought it was being caused by something else and I had diarrhea for 5 months before I realized that it was coming from the Magnesium that I was taking because I was taking 800 mg of magnesium. It was really great to find out what was causing the diarrhea because my doctor had me take all kinds of tests to figure it out and then my girlfriend said you know magnesium gives you loose stools. The next day after not taking the doses that I was taking I was back to normal.

Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 18

Home remedy for a hangover is "hair of the dog" with a raw egg mixed in.  Well known and proven cure!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 18

Hi everyone.  I hope your day is going awesome!!  I don't know if this is a home remedy or not but here goes:  I suffer with Herpes on and around my mouth.  (even had it in my nose)  But I can tell when I am going to have a break out, by the burning and tingeling before it comes out with the blisters.  I have found that if I immediately start putting CARMEX on them even my nose it helps them get over in less time.  It has to be put on a few times a day.  I also had my Dr tell me when I questioned him about it he said it was the only one to use for my break out wich I had been using for a very long time.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 18

plantars warts:  this remedy was given to me 60 years ago by a hospital resident, I did it and it works!  Cut a piece of adhesive tape just the size of the wart, put it on the wart and when it falls off replace it.  It may take awhile, but it works!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 18

For leg cramps during the night.  I found MAGNESIUM - this stuff works.  Take one or two at 6 pm and it takes a couple of nights to get it going in your system.  But when it does and you continue to take it, no more leg cramps that wake YOU.  Try it  -

planter's wart on the bottom of your foot, hurts to walk? - an Old Indian told me this one and it works.  You wrap your foot with a banana peeling around the wart, the white part to the foot. Put a sock and a plastic bag over it.  When  you wake up it is black, so wash your foot good.  Do this two or three nights and poof wart is gone.  By the first day, it's smaller, the peeling pulls out impurities in your foot.  Tried it, it worked.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 18

You know how difficult it is to eat when your nose is stopped up?  Try putting just a dot of Vicks VapoRub on the tip of your nose.  It should help you to breathe and allow you to chew with your mouth closed, making your meal a little more pleasant.  It has worked for me.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 18

Have you tried any of these?  Did they work?  What other home remedies do you stand by?

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Home Remedies That May Be Worth A Try (Harvard Health Blog)

Message 18 of 18

Home remedies that may be worth a try

chicken noodle soup.jpg

The remedies listed below have been tested in clinical studies that have been published in peer-reviewed medical journals.

What it isWhat it can be used to treat  How usedComparable medical treatment  Cost per use  Cautions
Chicken soupNasal congestionDrink steaming hot soupVaporizers, oral decongestants$.50 to $1.50 per servingHigh sodium content
Duct tapeWartsCover wart with tape. Every few days, remove tape, soak foot, sand wart with emery board, and replace tape.Lasers, cauterization, acid therapyLess than $.01Skin irritation
Pickle juiceMuscle crampsDrink one ounceCalcium channel blockersAbout $.19High sodium content
Vicks VapoRubToenail fungusCover surface of affected nailOral and topical fungicides$.06 per dayNone identified

Read the entire article here: https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/home-remedies-that-may-be-worth-a-try-2017032211444

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Replies