Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Have you tried the keto diet?

Message 1 of 22
I have been thinking to start a Ketogenic diet, but stop short due to mixed reviews from friends. You mentioned losing 32 pounds in a little over 2 months, did you go for Cyclical Ketogenic Diet? Because I have hardly noticed any effective changes with Targeted Ketogenic diet.

Your response can save a soul's diet plan. Thanks in advance.
Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 22

See prior post. This is not a fad.  This was used to treat diabetes before insulin.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 22

What is the point of a keto diet? Lose weight quickly and then quickly gain weight? Earn ketosis? In my opinion, protein-carbohydrate alternation is better.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 22

This is a footnote to my former post: I use nearly all of my carbs on vegetables, and I eat healthy fats. I toss salmon, chia seeds, and avocados in my diet regularly. Nutrition is never a thing to be abused. I feel as though I am eating healthier than ever as I record everything that goes into my mouth. (Awareness is a helpful tool.) I am horribly allergic to dairy, but I eat plenty of goat cheese and goat butter and sheep cheese. I use coconut milk in baking. I am free of cravings and of hunger! I create wonderful quick breads and cookies with almond flour and Pyure organic sweetener that keep me from feeling deprived.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 22

1.  It's not a fad.

2.  If you think you need to give up fruits and vegetables to eat the Keto way, then you need to do more research. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 22

I dove into the keto world in January on a rather strict regiment with a maximum of 19 carbs per day. While I am extremely active, I found that my much heavier friends who were inactive dropped weight very quickly while I have only lost a total of 6 pounds in all of these months. I have continued on keto because I have lost all craving for sugar and unhealthy carbohydrates. I have upped my carbs to 34 just this week. I do not see myself withdrawing from this diet as I am enjoying the absence of sugar addiction.   I have learned to cook and bake healthy keto alternative foods, and I’m extremely grateful for these changes.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 22
Please don't call it a fad. It has been around as a medical treatment for epilepsy since the 1920's. And before medical insulin it was used as an effective diet for diabetes.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 22

I've not tried this fad but know a few people that have and have become huge fans and that's all they want to talk about.  Don't think my system could handle all the fat......and I like my fruits and vegetables to much.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 22
The difference is Keto is moderate protein and Atkins was high protein. Keto is also about ingedients - avoiding processed foods, sugars, inflammatory type foods.
"Garbage in, garbage out" is as true for our bodies as it is for computers.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 22

Tried once, the old "college try" since I'm fond of trying different diets to have personal experince in them. Tried going full ketogenic. For days was accompanied by fever-like symptoms, constipation, mental fog, and it could have persisted had I not gave into temptation and had fruit. 

I think many who believe they're in Keto are merely in a low carb diet, as going keto (removal of all but 5% of carbs, roughly 50 grams for most) is agonzing. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season