Tell Congress to stop Rx greed and cut prescription drug prices now! Here’s how.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Have you had to address someone who needed a health change?

Message 1 of 8

Because being in top shape is important to this competitive cyclist, I've become a walking, talking nutrition calculator. I can rattle off the values of a given meal, and have done so as a favor for my athlete friends (who really don't need me to, for they too are quite keen on good health). Unless asked, however, I limit such talk to those who actually care, ie those who are already on a health-seeking/maintaining path. I find that those who do not ask are not listening anyway when you tell them that the best way to eat healthy is to learn to cook from scratch; that even one alcoholic drink a day will damage your cells; that consistently eating too much and exercising too little will bring you to a miserable, painful decline, and that such behaviors are not only costly to yourself, but to your family and your community.

I do try to lead by example. I don't drink. Never smoked. Eat a mostly plant-based, organic, from scratch diet (no boxed or frozen stuff at my table); am careful to get a well-rounded nutritionally dense diet. Also I exercise to a sweat at least 5 times a week, maintain a healthy weight and a positive outlook. And I encourage those who are working on living healthy at every opportunity.

But as to the morbidly obese ones in my life who take pills for multiple lifestyle diseases while continuing to eat all the wrong things and move as little as possible, well, I love them and hope one day they will choose to live rather than to die.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 8

My late husband was diagnosed with Diabetes in 1983. I TRIED to get him to work with the A.D.A.diet guidelines but to no avail.  Even his mom, also a diabetic, was lax on following the diet. After 10 years of arguing with him about it, I FINALLY gave up.  He never even attempted to follow the A.D.A. guidelines even though he was the 4th generation diabetic in his family. He grew up on sugar (his dad was a sugar refiner) & he refused to quit sugar. He also refused to see doctors when not well with the words; "I'll go to se a doctor when I figure out what's wrong".  He died at age 58 while out to dinner with his co-workers. 

@AARPTeriwrote:

Have you ever had to address someone who needed to change some dietary habits?  How did you do this?  Were you successful?

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8

I tried to get my sister in law to keep it to only one or two drinks a day and she got mad at me!  🐲

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

Sure have! I try to stay outta other peoples' business BUT my youngest is always borrowing money that she doesn't pay back. EVERY time I spoke with her she was trekking through yet ANOTHER fast food lane. I swear she knows the take-out menus from just about everywhere! Now - closing on about 300 lbs - I just cannot feel sorry for her anymore. "Mom I don't eat that much." Yeah - you don't get like that from eating fruits and veggies darling.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

You can start by reading this book- the PH Miracle by Robert and Shelley Young-its all about balancing your acids and alkalines, in your blood.  You need to have an alkaline body.  Most of what we eat is acid.  Getting the right ratio of 80/20 balance can result in weight loss, rebuilt stamina, and vibrant health.  Does it work?  Yes, I lost 50#s.  Is it hard to change?  You want to live longer and don't take pills, then just try it, they have recipes, smoothies, information, examples, true stories of what people went through.

It was a life change for me and it works.  Take small steps.  

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8

Yes, my hubby, has a sweet tooth, he loves to snack on them all day. I've mentioned it to him, yet he is in denial saying he doesn't eat that much....From time to time I bring up the subject of unhealthy eating, just enough to bother his conscience 😀

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 8

My husband but he was too hard headed and sadly, he passed away.  Now, I try with my children, it's good to change your health-  I did and if I didn't I'd be taking a ton of pills by now.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Have you had to address someone who needed a health change?

Message 8 of 8

Have you ever had to address someone who needed to change some dietary habits?  How did you do this?  Were you successful?

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies