Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Have you ever had a migraine?

What remedies do you use to alleviate your migraine?  Any of these - https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2019/migraine.html

AARPTeri
Contributor

Had headaches since I was a kid. (I'm now past 70.) Really got bad when I was in college. I always carried aspirin with me, and most of the time it did the trick. When I was in my early 20's and was out with my wife, I had such a painful headache, the likes of which I never had. I went the next day to the doctor and was diagnosed with migrains. Was given fioricet. For many years, 1 capsul when it started relieved the pain within a half hour. When 1 capsul didn't work, my doctor advised me to take 2, the first time only, and then 1 every 4 - 6 hours. Years later when I was in my 50's, they got so bad, (on the basis of 1 - 10 pain, I had a 13), I went to a neurologist. He prescribed maxalt for the times that the pain was 8 or higher, even if I had already taken Tylonol or fioricet. 

Another way I relieve my headache pain is to have a large, strong cup of regular coffree. This helps many times, so much so, that I don't have to take any meds.

While in the midst of a migrain, lie down in a dark room or use sleep blinders to keep out the light and place something cold on the sight of the pain. 

Contributor

I have severe migraines several times a month, and finally, my doctor has found a medicine

Periodic Contributor

I used to get migraines so bad, I didn't just think I was going to die, I knew I was going to die and wished it would hurry up and put me out of my misery.  To add to the agony, I would also get sinus headaches that often appeared to trigger migraines.  After decades of suffering, I read somewhere to take two Advil and two Tylenol as they both work a bit differently.  That didn't work for me until I added two sinus decongestion pills.  That always worked, and within 20 minutes, but I had to eat a few crackers with them to keep the pills down, which was not easy because of the extreme pain and nausea -- the slightest movement or light or sound was excruciating.  My mother told me that the best thing about getting older was that her migraines went away.  And you know what, they have gone away for me, too (I'm 68).  I haven't had a migraine in about five years.

I'm sure a lot of people who say they only have to take two of any kind of OTC pills and it gets rid of their migraine don't really have migraines, just headaches, maybe even bad headaches.  I never understood about my mother's migraines until I had my first one when I was about 20 years old.  I called her and apologized for my lack of sympathy and understanding.  Only someone who has had a real migraine and suffered the horrific agony can truly understand.

Periodic Contributor

2 EXCEDRINS AND WITHIN 5 MINUTES, IT'S GONE!!

Contributor

I found, through many years of trial and error, that Excedrin was the only OTC pain reliever that worked for me. I learned the hard way that Excedrin will, over time, increase the number of migraines you get every month, until you have more migraine days than not.  Be very careful.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP