Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Green Foods!

Next Wednesday is St. Patrick's Day 🍀 Let's get in the spirit by sharing our favorite green foods!

Did you know that green foods are good for your heart and blood pressure? They are full of antioxidants, and they contain vitamin K, nitrates and folates, all of which are good for your heart 💚

What are your favorite green foods? Do you have a yummy recipe to share? This Spicy Spring Asparagus Stir-Fry looks so good!

Here are some of my favorite green vegetables that I've recently eaten:

Avocado 🥑

Rich in B vitamins and very good for your brain! Check out this Avocado Pesto recipe!

avocado.jpg

Romanesco!

This green veg tastes like a cross between broccoli and cauliflower. The fractal-shaped vegetable is chock full of vitamins C and K, fiber and carotenoids. I like to roast it with a little olive oil, salt and pepper *chef's kiss*

romanesco.jpg

What green foods do you love? Hit reply and let me know!

Super Contributor

Grilled greenbriar tips spritzed with olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt!

https://www.foragingtexas.com/2008/08/greenbriar.html

-Mark

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com
Conversationalist

Here’s a wonderful Smoothie and it’s green, great for St Patrick’s Day or any day! It’s called the Limey Love Shake-

1 cucumber [take out the seeds), keep skin on, 

1/2 avocado 

1-2 hands of baby spinach ( can use regular spinach,I do, just a handful)

2-4 peeled limes ( now, it’s best to try it before addin more limes, because it might be too tart, I use 1 lime, and then add more for flavor)

I add water because otherwise it’s soooooo thick, so add slowly, till you Love Your Shake!

Regular Contributor

I haven't met a green vegetable that I don't like. Among my favorites are green beans, avocados, broccoli, asparagus, snap peas, cucumbers, etc. I like kiwi, green pears, green onions, chard, all kinds of green herbs, as well as tea. I think green is perfect--plus all the peppers. I believe green fruits, veggies & herbs may be more plentiful than any other color. But maybe I just haven't been properly exposed to the rest of the rainbow.

Periodic Contributor

Avocados, spinach, broccoli, celery, green beans, peas, mint, parsley, chives, green onions, limes, cucumber, green tea..... green foods are easy. I could list a lot more than I don't like. Just don't ask me to list orange foods that I like. 'Cause all I can think of is carrots and oranges 😂

Super Contributor

Happy Saint Patricks' Day (Irish Holy Day) Everyone!

Social Butterfly

Cabbage, cole slaw, and now that this article has taught me the advantages of green foods,  green beer!  🍺 <———.   (Pretend it’s green).   Happy St Paddy’s day!  🍀

Regular Contributor

Green tea ice cream!! But I also love fresh cilantro and mint. 🙂

Mint ice-cream 

Bronze Conversationalist

I like green herbs and vegetables that I grow organically in my garden:  rosemary, oregano, mint, basil, etc., and also Romaine lettuce, green bell peppers, zucchini, green beans, and others.  Nothing like home-grown, no matter what the color.  

Silver Conversationalist

Green grapes and pistachios are my favorites!

Community Manager
Community Manager

@LindaB671 yum! Pistachios are one of my favorites too!

Conversationalist

Avocado!

Avocado and those Shamrock shakes at McDonald's!  They're a winning combination!

Community Manager
Community Manager

How fitting that @AvocadoDog's favorite green food is avocado! Ooof, it's been a while since I've had a Shamrock shake, but those things sure are tastyyyy.

Conversationalist

I remember one of Letterman's Top Ten lists of the late 80s or early 90s compared the Shamrock Shake to "used mop water." C'mon! Unfair! You're right — they are tasty!  But I think I think the last time I had one was back in college. Or, the last time I'll admit to having one was back then!

Community Manager
Community Manager

I've only had one shamrock shake, and I didn't finish the whole thing tbh 😀 While I enjoyed it, it was something I couldn't eat a lot of. Dave Letterman is such a joy. I miss his late-night shenanigans.

P.s. I like your new photo 🥑🐶

Recognized Social Butterfly

Cabbage is my favorite green

Racquel Evans
Community Manager
Community Manager

Mmm cabbage is so delicious @RacquelE712599! Do you braise it? I like to braise mine in apple cider or beer!

Kudos
Views
Super Contributor

Rachel: There is a list of Green for me from Granny Smith apples, Kiwi, spinach, olives, gooseberry, & I'm going to choose Green Tea.

Thank you for letting me share.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for sharing @LaurajW510385! I'm a big fan of kiwi 🥝 It was one of my favorite things to eat as a baby, and I still love it! I've only had gooseberry jam. Are there other ways to eat them?

Super Contributor

Oh Ms. RachelA AARP:

I was thinking about my Green Tea today & is tea considered a "food"? Sorry should I have gotten that one wrong & its a "lucky" thing I did not win for being wrong with my Green Food choice.

Thanks for the kudos I do Greatly Appreciate it. capital letters for me are an exuberating expression never "yelling"

Gooseberries while I was growing up: since they are so sour they would put them in warm salt water & eat all that in a spoon.

I was going to choose rhubbarb yet it is maturity it is red.

Thank you.

Community Manager
Community Manager

I think green tea can be considered a food! I love mint green tea (double the green) 💚

Wow! I want to try gooseberries that way. I feel like they would also make a good pie filling - similar to rhubarb maybe?

Super Contributor

Rachel A:

You can do as you so choose with the gooseberries (they are very sour).& I've only had those that grow Naturally whole fresh food from the tree/vine.

Thanks for all of your kudos. I'm not quite sure I completely understand what those are so I Receive them "thumbs up" icons I guess & no 50 points for me yet???😁

Stay Healthy!!!

Kudos
Views
Super Contributor

Thank you LindaB for the Private: I'm still learning & I accidently put the 50 points in the Green Foods by Laura Human error. Do forgive someone such as myself in still learning & being Human error at times. I am only made of dirt never perfect. 

Thanks for the updates with the Points also in my Laura learning process & not have to take out any student loans for this type of education.

Stay Healthy!!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP