Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Gratitude as a Health Tool

Message 371 of 641

Feel free to post a thought of gratefulness here whenever you like. Gratitude (even just the exercise of looking for something for which to be grateful) will improve your health.

Here's what Eric Barker, UCLA researcher, has to say about it:

Gratitude, Gratitude, Gratitude
I can’t emphasize this one enough. Showing gratitude for the good things you have is the most powerful happiness boosting activity there is.
It will make you happier.
It will improve your relationships.
It can make you a better person.
It can make life better for everyone around you.

For more information, on this topic, or to learn how Eric uses science to help people improve their life, visit his blog Barking up the Wrong Treehttp://www.bakadesuyo.com/blog/

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 372 of 641

Grateful for mountains and nature that nurture my soul and grateful for this new phase of life.

Ahhhhhhhhh .... (breathing in, breathing out) ummmmm ... yes!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 373 of 641

Grateful for a husband and life partner who trains for the Senior Games with me in the winter, spring, summer and fall.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 374 of 641

I am grateful for good health and living in a senior-friendly county that has already developed hundreds of miles of bike trail and which has hundreds more in the planning stages.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 375 of 641

I am grateful for the US constitution, for lawyers and idealists, for left for right, for the wild patchwork quilt that is America. Happy Inauguration Day! May we progress in peaceful disagreement toward a shared prosperity.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 376 of 641

I'm grateful to have set the ball in motion, and wildy optimistic regarding the outcome.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 377 of 641

I'm grateful for opportunities that shall present themselves at tonight's meeting. 

@Epster wrote:

Gratitude can improve your life, and may even save it! No really. Dartmouth posted this web page on the importance of gratitude: http://www.umassd.edu/counseling/forparents/reccomendedreadings/theimportanceofgratitude/

Here’s a clip from that page:

"Researchers ... are turning their attention to the study of gratitude and its relationship to health and mental well-being. I will present some of their findings here to help us understand how gratitude is helpful and why it's important to our well-being.

People who keep gratitude journals on a weekly basis have been found to exercise more regularly, have fewer physical symptoms, feel better about their lives as a whole, and feel more optimistic about their upcoming week as compared to those who keep journals recording the stressors or neutral events of their lives.

Daily discussion of gratitude results in higher reported levels of alertness, enthusiasm, determination, attentiveness, energy, and sleep duration and quality. Grateful people also report lower levels of depression and stress, although they do not deny or ignore the negative aspects of life.

People who think about, talk about, or write about gratitude daily are more likely to report having helped someone with a personal problem or offered emotional support to another person.

Those with a disposition towards gratitude are found to place less importance on material goods, are less likely to judge their own or others success in terms of possessions accumulated, are less envious of wealthy people, and are more likely to share their possessions with others.

Emerging research suggests that daily gratitude practices may have some preventative benefits in warding of coronary artery disease."

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Gratitude = Health Tool ->Epster's Final Hurrah<-

Message 378 of 641

I just read a thread about the Jews here in America and in Israel and it struck me how lucky we are to have Jews as part of our melting pot.

I wish to express my heartfelt gratitude for the existance of Jewish folks. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 379 of 641

@Epster - I'm sorry you're not planning to continue posting on AARP; you're just the sort of person Online Community needs, having a good attitude & respecting our differences! I wanted to send you a private message, so perhaps we could exchange e-mail addresses to keep in touch, but apparently you've changed your settings, and I couldn't do that.

Hope you change your mind & visit us again periodically!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 380 of 641
Adios Epster - Vaya Con Dios,

your pal,

wilful