Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

Gratitude as a Health Tool

Gratitude can improve your life, and may even save it! No really. Dartmouth posted this web page on the importance of gratitude: http://www.umassd.edu/counseling/forparents/reccomendedreadings/theimportanceofgratitude/

Here’s a clip from that page:

"Researchers ... are turning their attention to the study of gratitude and its relationship to health and mental well-being. I will present some of their findings here to help us understand how gratitude is helpful and why it's important to our well-being.

People who keep gratitude journals on a weekly basis have been found to exercise more regularly, have fewer physical symptoms, feel better about their lives as a whole, and feel more optimistic about their upcoming week as compared to those who keep journals recording the stressors or neutral events of their lives.

Daily discussion of gratitude results in higher reported levels of alertness, enthusiasm, determination, attentiveness, energy, and sleep duration and quality. Grateful people also report lower levels of depression and stress, although they do not deny or ignore the negative aspects of life.

People who think about, talk about, or write about gratitude daily are more likely to report having helped someone with a personal problem or offered emotional support to another person.

Those with a disposition towards gratitude are found to place less importance on material goods, are less likely to judge their own or others success in terms of possessions accumulated, are less envious of wealthy people, and are more likely to share their possessions with others.

Emerging research suggests that daily gratitude practices may have some preventative benefits in warding of coronary artery disease."

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for a warm house. Brrr: 14F this AM at 4.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for a lovely leisurely breakfast.

savory oatmeal for breakfast is the bombsavory oatmeal for breakfast is the bomb

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful to be breathing unobstructed out of both nostrils today. Wow: with this much oxygen going to my brain I should be unstoppable today.

wall.gif

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for aspirin and homemade horehound cough syrup. Go away, sinus infection! Bleack. (what I get for cleaning out the greenhouse. 🙂

Periodic Contributor

How do you think you got the infection from cleaning the greenhouse?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@alley2 wrote:

Hi @alley2. I had a teensy smidge of hay fever from rabbitbrush and dust (I live in the west) before I decided to clean up in the greenhouse. (Which was really more changing shadecloth around due to the season change) One 60' long 10% shadecloth that drapes over the support beams under the upper vent acts as a cottonwood fluff catcher during the summer. While rolling that puppy up (being 10' in the air on a ladder: face pretty much right in the shadecloth), I managed to get few snouts full of fluff... and here I am. 🙂 

Homesteading ain't for wimps. 🙂

Periodic Contributor

@Epster wrote:

@alley2 wrote:

Hi @alley2. I had a teensy smidge of hay fever from rabbitbrush and dust (I live in the west) before I decided to clean up in the greenhouse. (Which was really more changing shadecloth around due to the season change) One 60' long 10% shadecloth that drapes over the support beams under the upper vent acts as a cottonwood fluff catcher during the summer. While rolling that puppy up (being 10' in the air on a ladder: face pretty much right in the shadecloth), I managed to get few snouts full of fluff... and here I am. 🙂 

Homesteading ain't for wimps. 🙂

Well that makes sense. I hate that fluff from trees. It makes me sneeze and stuffy too. I want to stay indoors when I see it floating around. Good luck to you on homesteading!

Periodic Contributor

Well that makes sense. I hate that fluff from trees. It makes me sneeze and stuffy too. I want to stay indoors when I see it floating around. Good luck to you on homesteading!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful to be learning something new every day.

learn from mistakes.png

Honored Social Butterfly

Thank God I'm a country girl!  🙂

Grateful to be super jiggy wit all things country. 🙂

hay.jpg

Periodic Contributor

Just beyond the houses across the street is a multi-acre 'wilderness park'.  Last week a doe (well grown) casually walked back and forth in my backyard.  She was beautiful.  I have seen spikes in the park, but none in my yard until now.  So very grateful to live where the deer play.  (Haven't yet seen a buffalo)

Honored Social Butterfly

@kimjeffbill wrote:

Just beyond the houses across the street is a multi-acre 'wilderness park'.  Last week a doe (well grown) casually walked back and forth in my backyard.  She was beautiful.  I have seen spikes in the park, but none in my yard until now.  So very grateful to live where the deer play.  (Haven't yet seen a buffalo)

@kimjeffbill  Are there buffalo near you?  We actually have a few herds, though none are wild, of course. One is genetically pure, and under the tutelage of the local University. They expect (hope) to eventually be shipping out genetically pure bison to other areas. We routinely go visit these herds.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for the deer herd gathering in my back yard. I only wish the local deer were as plentiful as the herd in this video.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for the weather that allowed us to pedal 155 miles over Thanksgiving ... exercising the equivalent of 2.4 pounds off our bodies (see below). Also grateful for the exercise equipment that allows us to workout inside today. (In 45 minutes on the mini trampoline, I'll burn off around 700 calories. Yes, please. :))

Cycling is such good exercise:  that's the equivalent of cycling off 2.4 pounds in 4 days. :) Woo hoo!Cycling is such good exercise: that's the equivalent of cycling off 2.4 pounds in 4 days. 🙂 Woo hoo!

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for this last warm day before the weather breaks. Ahhhhhh, yes, it has been a glorious week of sunshine.

if all you did.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for the beautiful weather we endured   a l l  week. 

beautiful weather.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for the benefits of working out like I mean it. 🙂

Weight-loss-teal-jpg-1024x797.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for a hubby that likes to get outdoors with me on Fresh Air Friday.  So many trails, so many miles, so much fun! (So good for our health! :))

Black Friday is Fresh Air Friday!Black Friday is Fresh Air Friday!

Hope you get outside today and enjoy yourself!

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for humor.

flat earth.jpg

snowman.jpg

good kind of fat.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for direction and possibility.

possibility.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

People say that Thanksgiving is about family, but for me it has always been about recognizing that we live in a country of plenty.  I'm grateful that we live in a land of plenty; may we remember to share the bounty.

Share the bounty this holiday season.Share the bounty this holiday season.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful to be able to watch a few migrating birds (I'm looking at you, Redheads, American Wigeons, Western Grebes, Buffleheads, Coots and Canada Geese) while riding local bike trails.

1RedheadMale.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for a sunny sky forecast and a new bike trail connecting two local 'burgs. Wah-hoot-zie!

Gimme trail, gimme trail, I say!Gimme trail, gimme trail, I say!

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for friends. And how. 🙂

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for Chinook Winds. Yesterday at this time in the morning it was 27F. Right now it is 59F. Chinook Winds being the difference maker.

Periodic Contributor

Where I live we call them the Pineapple Express. They smell sooooo good. But, they melt the snow high up. Oh well, more will fall.
Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful to live in America. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@kimjeffbill wrote:
Where I live we call them the Pineapple Express. They smell sooooo good. But, they melt the snow high up. Oh well, more will fall.

Hi @kimjeffbill  We lived on the west coast for years, and heard winds called that too. Happy Thanksgiving! 🙂

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful to live in a place with four seasons. I adore them all!

4 seasons: always something to enjoy!4 seasons: always something to enjoy!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for music's ability to change a mood.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP