Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

Gratitude as a Health Tool

Gratitude can improve your life, and may even save it! No really. Dartmouth posted this web page on the importance of gratitude: http://www.umassd.edu/counseling/forparents/reccomendedreadings/theimportanceofgratitude/

Here’s a clip from that page:

"Researchers ... are turning their attention to the study of gratitude and its relationship to health and mental well-being. I will present some of their findings here to help us understand how gratitude is helpful and why it's important to our well-being.

People who keep gratitude journals on a weekly basis have been found to exercise more regularly, have fewer physical symptoms, feel better about their lives as a whole, and feel more optimistic about their upcoming week as compared to those who keep journals recording the stressors or neutral events of their lives.

Daily discussion of gratitude results in higher reported levels of alertness, enthusiasm, determination, attentiveness, energy, and sleep duration and quality. Grateful people also report lower levels of depression and stress, although they do not deny or ignore the negative aspects of life.

People who think about, talk about, or write about gratitude daily are more likely to report having helped someone with a personal problem or offered emotional support to another person.

Those with a disposition towards gratitude are found to place less importance on material goods, are less likely to judge their own or others success in terms of possessions accumulated, are less envious of wealthy people, and are more likely to share their possessions with others.

Emerging research suggests that daily gratitude practices may have some preventative benefits in warding of coronary artery disease."

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly

Beyond grateful for peace and quiet. (breathes in liberty; smile cuts across face) 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly

Soaking in the rain and loving every minute of it! Grateful for the precip, yessireebob!

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for friends who understand, support and celebrate with me.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for optimism and confidence. And the training sessions that go with them.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful to have witnessed the 75 y-o runner this morning on the bike trail. I loved her on sight. Well, I certainly adored her sparkly "Push Your Limits" t-shirt on sight; her I decided to love when she smiled wide and waved wildly at us both times we passed.

Like OMG! I want to grow up and be like her. For real.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful to have a life that nurtures my creative spirit.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful we're still having fun and he's still the one.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for new opportunities.

Honored Social Butterfly

Heh: reading the thread about mid-life crises reminded me how grateful I am to be through menopause. Whew! How my marriage survived that I may never know. 🙂

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for spam filtering. Ahhhhhh ... that's better. :0)

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for milestones.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for blood, sweat and tears. (Also knowing race routes and finding appropriate facsimilies.)

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for athlete friends who believe in me. And, yes, big bad hills and headwinds. Grateful for those too.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Taking this thread back to the topic, gratitude: I'm grateful that we did not lose any trees, fruit or otherwise, during this past dry, windy month.

Honored Social Butterfly

I'm grateful for what gratitude can do for a person.gratitude is riches.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for continuing good health.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for lazy mornings.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for local farms, farm ponds and migrating waterfowl.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for memes.

30 habits for happiness.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

A meme for which to be grateful:

@Epster wrote:

Grateful for memes.

30 habits for happiness.jpg

Contributor

How wonderful, thank-you

Honored Social Butterfly

Blessed to be able to fill our freezer with homegrown organic chicken. And grateful.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for the opportunity to train on the upcoming race route.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful that training is improving performance: fastest time ev-ah yesterday!

P.S. DH: you are cracking me up!

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for this property, the sanctuary it affords us and wildlife.

Honored Social Butterfly

Wowzers! Another day, another opportunity to make changes! For that, I am grateful.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for this and other spectacular Colorado views.

6/27/17 Flatirons and Longs Peak6/27/17 Flatirons and Longs Peak

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for the gaggle of business opportunities before us. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for reach. Reach for it!

Honored Social Butterfly

Seeing that pluck is serving us well this morning, and grateful for that.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP