Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

Gratitude as a Health Tool

Gratitude can improve your life, and may even save it! No really. Dartmouth posted this web page on the importance of gratitude: http://www.umassd.edu/counseling/forparents/reccomendedreadings/theimportanceofgratitude/

Here’s a clip from that page:

"Researchers ... are turning their attention to the study of gratitude and its relationship to health and mental well-being. I will present some of their findings here to help us understand how gratitude is helpful and why it's important to our well-being.

People who keep gratitude journals on a weekly basis have been found to exercise more regularly, have fewer physical symptoms, feel better about their lives as a whole, and feel more optimistic about their upcoming week as compared to those who keep journals recording the stressors or neutral events of their lives.

Daily discussion of gratitude results in higher reported levels of alertness, enthusiasm, determination, attentiveness, energy, and sleep duration and quality. Grateful people also report lower levels of depression and stress, although they do not deny or ignore the negative aspects of life.

People who think about, talk about, or write about gratitude daily are more likely to report having helped someone with a personal problem or offered emotional support to another person.

Those with a disposition towards gratitude are found to place less importance on material goods, are less likely to judge their own or others success in terms of possessions accumulated, are less envious of wealthy people, and are more likely to share their possessions with others.

Emerging research suggests that daily gratitude practices may have some preventative benefits in warding of coronary artery disease."

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for a long to-do list: it keeps me moving!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful to the max to each of the recumbent racers (6 women and 19 men) who showed up to the Dallas Senior Games and raced in 25 MPH wind. Such grit, such determination. Wow and wow again.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Epster wrote:

Gratitude can improve your life, and may even save it! No really. Dartmouth posted this web page on the importance of gratitude: http://www.umassd.edu/counseling/forparents/reccomendedreadings/theimportanceofgratitude/

Here’s a clip from that page:

"Researchers ... are turning their attention to the study of gratitude and its relationship to health and mental well-being. I will present some of their findings here to help us understand how gratitude is helpful and why it's important to our well-being.

People who keep gratitude journals on a weekly basis have been found to exercise more regularly, have fewer physical symptoms, feel better about their lives as a whole, and feel more optimistic about their upcoming week as compared to those who keep journals recording the stressors or neutral events of their lives.

Daily discussion of gratitude results in higher reported levels of alertness, enthusiasm, determination, attentiveness, energy, and sleep duration and quality. Grateful people also report lower levels of depression and stress, although they do not deny or ignore the negative aspects of life.

People who think about, talk about, or write about gratitude daily are more likely to report having helped someone with a personal problem or offered emotional support to another person.

Those with a disposition towards gratitude are found to place less importance on material goods, are less likely to judge their own or others success in terms of possessions accumulated, are less envious of wealthy people, and are more likely to share their possessions with others.

Emerging research suggests that daily gratitude practices may have some preventative benefits in warding of coronary artery disease."

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful the high winds have stopped. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for excellent health.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful (again, still) to live in a bird migration zone, and for brilliant, local birder pals.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

In the past 36 hours we have pedaled 115 miles (took us 9 hours on the trikes) annnnnnd we are still energized! We are both super grateful for the experience, the training and the fact that we feel great.

So I guess this could read: we are grateful for the benefits of being active and are glad we're health nuts. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for a weekend that starts today, warm weather and a ton of fun on the to-do list.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for senior games sports directors who are expanding to include recumbent racers. And the racers who are going to show up.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for faith.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Beyond grateful that another state has, as of yesterday afternoon, added recumbent cycling to their Senior Games events. Rah!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful to be a morning person. Love this time of day!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful to have been wired to deeply enjoy nature and all her colors.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Ridiculously grateful for self-reliance.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I am grateful that despite the lack of good written directions, I finally got my rebounder assembled yesterday!!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for this snowstorm and the moisture it will gift to the hillside.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for dreamers.

dream followers.jpg

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for new opportunities. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful to live in a bird migration zone. What a fun time we had joining in the President's Day weekend Great Backyard Bird Count! (more info here: http://gbbc.birdcount.org)

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for a long weekend. Yahoooooooooo!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful that this warm weather will hold through the weekend! Yay! Perfect weather AND days off! Woot! I don't even mind that our outside water is still turned off and that I had to carry buckets of water to a dozen fruit trees yesterday. Woo! And! Hoo!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for good health.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for romance. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for recumbent racing friends. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for love. The world would be a bleak place indeed without love.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I'm grateful for having been gifted with the freedom (and moxie, I guess) to pursue whatever careers I wanted. It's made for a wonderful life, chasing down one thing after the other and grabbing the opportunity to don many different hats. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I'm grateful that the days are getting longer now; it's good for the spirit to have more sunlight! It's also a lot easier to go places in the evening, if it's not pitch black when you get started!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

So grateful for the gift of athleticism, the willingness to push myself faster, harder, farther, the desire to be the best I can be (even if that's third place or even off the podium, for like seeking gratitude, it is the drive to be better that benefits oneself).

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I am grateful that I got all my grocery shopping & a work-out in yesterday, when it was up into the 60's .. because today NJ is under a snow storm warning! It's been "pinging" on the windows, since I got up this morning, and there's a layer of frozen rain building up on the driveways & other hard surfaces .. glad to be home!

I wonder how many people connect dangerous winter driving, with a high level of stress .. which isn't good for our health?! I remember the 29 years I workd for a major public utility, and we were expected to get to work, unless the government officially shut down the roadways. It was very scary .. what I thought of as "white knuckle driving". I am so grateful that's in the distant past!!

Honored Social Butterfly

I am grateful to the internet as a health tool!

I love how much information is there, so if you have tests done, you can "do your homework" on the results, even before meeting with your doctor.

I love that most labs & many doctors allow you to make an appointment online, and do it well in advance, so you get the time most convenient for you! And by entering the data ahead of time, you don't get stuck rushing to fill at forms when you get there.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP