Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

Gratitude as a Health Tool

Gratitude can improve your life, and may even save it! No really. Dartmouth posted this web page on the importance of gratitude: http://www.umassd.edu/counseling/forparents/reccomendedreadings/theimportanceofgratitude/

Here’s a clip from that page:

"Researchers ... are turning their attention to the study of gratitude and its relationship to health and mental well-being. I will present some of their findings here to help us understand how gratitude is helpful and why it's important to our well-being.

People who keep gratitude journals on a weekly basis have been found to exercise more regularly, have fewer physical symptoms, feel better about their lives as a whole, and feel more optimistic about their upcoming week as compared to those who keep journals recording the stressors or neutral events of their lives.

Daily discussion of gratitude results in higher reported levels of alertness, enthusiasm, determination, attentiveness, energy, and sleep duration and quality. Grateful people also report lower levels of depression and stress, although they do not deny or ignore the negative aspects of life.

People who think about, talk about, or write about gratitude daily are more likely to report having helped someone with a personal problem or offered emotional support to another person.

Those with a disposition towards gratitude are found to place less importance on material goods, are less likely to judge their own or others success in terms of possessions accumulated, are less envious of wealthy people, and are more likely to share their possessions with others.

Emerging research suggests that daily gratitude practices may have some preventative benefits in warding of coronary artery disease."

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly

It is cliche to state one's appreciation for diversity, I suppose, however I am beyond appreciative and well into the grateful zone for same. Two days ago I chatted with a few people at a car show who'd reimagined, redesigned and reworked abandoned beaters into absolute art and yesterday spent time with a serious bike racer/designer who talked with authoriity and at length about the speed virtues of various pedal designs, tire weights, panniers. Enthralling, this diversity, and I am grateful to witness it.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I am grateful in a convoluted way this morning. I was scheduled for an early medical test, but when I went out to my car, the battery was dead! I contacted AAA, but had to reschedule my test for afternoon. There's a Jewish tradition/superstition, that when something small happens that's bad, it should be considered a welcome "sacrifice," instead of something worse happening. So I'm hoping that the early morning car trouble is a sign that my test results will be OK!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Recognized Social Butterfly

@EveRH wrote:

I am grateful in a convoluted way this morning. I was scheduled for an early medical test, but when I went out to my car, the battery was dead! I contacted AAA, but had to reschedule my test for afternoon. There's a Jewish tradition/superstition, that when something small happens that's bad, it should be considered a welcome "sacrifice," instead of something worse happening. So I'm hoping that the early morning car trouble is a sign that my test results will be OK!

I love these traditional sayings.  Hope for great test results for you!  

I had my first bone density test yesterday & failed!    Yep, osteopenia.  I have lifted weights for years, tons of walking especially the last 24 years.   I practically live on dairy.  No loss in height though, still 4' 11.5".   Cat Tongue

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Love it! Hoping for the best for you, @EveRH.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Hurrah! Hard rain! Clean air! Thunder, even. Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah! (<- That's gratitude out of a z-z-z-ooming A-type, for ya) Now to unplug this thing and get back to straining tinctures...

Weeeeeee!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

On this, the 42nd anniversary of the event, I am grateful for having been abandoned by my family in what is seen as a Third World environment on American soils. What that experience has added to my perspective, my person, my outlook is beyond beyond. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I am grateful to be finding resources for learning as much as possible about retirement while I have time to make corrections, take on new ideas, better position us for the changes and have some fun in the doing. So to RV.net, AARP.org and Escapees.com: respect! 

Honored Social Butterfly

Yahoo it is Friday! The rain cleaned smoke out of the air and we have a long weekend with which to bike and hike. For the marvelous coming together of time off and clean air, I give thanks.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Send some of that porcini soup this way!

I am grateful that I finally got around to buying a digital camera (an early birthday present)! It is so much easier not to have to worry about film, but always be ready to take photos!

Honored Social Butterfly

@Epster wrote:

Gratitude can improve your life, and may even save it! No really. Dartmouth posted this web page on the importance of gratitude: http://www.umassd.edu/counseling/forparents/reccomendedreadings/theimportanceofgratitude/

Here’s a clip from that page:

"Researchers ... are turning their attention to the study of gratitude and its relationship to health and mental well-being. I will present some of their findings here to help us understand how gratitude is helpful and why it's important to our well-being.

People who keep gratitude journals on a weekly basis have been found to exercise more regularly, have fewer physical symptoms, feel better about their lives as a whole, and feel more optimistic about their upcoming week as compared to those who keep journals recording the stressors or neutral events of their lives.

Daily discussion of gratitude results in higher reported levels of alertness, enthusiasm, determination, attentiveness, energy, and sleep duration and quality. Grateful people also report lower levels of depression and stress, although they do not deny or ignore the negative aspects of life.

People who think about, talk about, or write about gratitude daily are more likely to report having helped someone with a personal problem or offered emotional support to another person.

Those with a disposition towards gratitude are found to place less importance on material goods, are less likely to judge their own or others success in terms of possessions accumulated, are less envious of wealthy people, and are more likely to share their possessions with others.

Emerging research suggests that daily gratitude practices may have some preventative benefits in warding of coronary artery disease."

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I am grateful to the local recumbent shop that has gifted us with ~8 of their man hours, and another ~8 hours riding various floor models while we work out the details of our upcoming order. Grateful for local business owners, that's me!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Wonderful afternoon at the local recumbent bike shop. We discussed model features at length, rode bikes for a couple hours, and made plans to rent our top picks so we can be absolutely sure. 

I give thanks, appreciation, recognition, acknowledgment and credit to their incredible staff. Beyond grateful for this community resource. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I am grateful for a good night's rest! Ahhhhh, yes indeed. Now let's go get 'em!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for the rain that accuweather.com says will be upon us this afternoon!  May it cleanse the wildfire tainted air here in the west.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I am grateful for the way humor can improve a situation; grateful that it can assuage wounds, make a bad moment less awful and that a lighthearted outlook can extend life.

So to all the clowns out there: salute!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I'm grateful that the expression of gratitude is an individual thing. It is free. It is yours. It is beyond judgment ... and no matter how each individual approaches it, finding something to be thankful for each day will improve life. Rah!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I am grateful for the energizing effect spending the day in the kitchen whipping up wild yummies has on this feral foodie. Today it is to be cream of porcini mushroom soup.

Contributor

I am GRATEFUL for my Family, Friends and Wonderful Support System GOD has BLESSED ME WITH over these Great years of living.  Everyday has the Promise of being able to be a Blessing to those who path we cross.  Take a little time to be THANKFUL, it works Wonders for the Body, Soul, and Mind and is a Friednly reminder to ME just how each day is a privilege it is to be a part of and not take anything for Granted.

Contributor

So good to know that people are realizing how important gratitude is.  I always express gratitude with my morning prayers. Let me clear right now --- because so many <turn off> at the words <prayer> and <god>...... think of <god> as that/who which is responsible for creating the universe. Yeh -- look at the myriad stars on a clear night --- think of the galaxies, planets , suns all behaving in an ordely manner  -- think of/who or what is behind it --- think of universal CONSCIOUSNESS -- THAT is GOD, or whatever you want to name it. Then think of PRAYER as PLUGGING IN to that POWER. Just like electricity -- your appliance won't work unless you plug it it. So the power connection with that all-powerful creator is very dormant UNLESS you plug-in ( that is prayer). How do I pray? I relax for a few minutes beforehand ( if you want to -- call it meditation -- empty my mind of ALL) -- then ask for health, strength, protection and guidance. For myself and for family and for p me ( running between the raindrops = my life!!!!) and guidance? You would not believe how I am blocked -- literally blocked - from making mistakes (purcheses, people, foods) and have the good choices practically shoved into my face. GUIDANCE --- big time.

SO I CAN'T HELP BUT FEEL GRATITUDE> NON-STOP. Even some of the unpleasant things that DO happen -- I am grateful for, because they are lessons. They keep something that is truly bad from taking place.

SO BELIEVE IN A POWER THAT YOU CAN ACCESS, THAT IS RESPONSIVE , THAT YOU SHOULD THANKeople I care for and for my animals. AND I SAY  THANK YOU  THANK YOU THANK YOU... and I feel this gratitude all the time, this is not <just words> What am I grateful for? For answered prayers -- for I am strong, healthier than I have any right to expect, am protected from all the bad things that miss

Honored Social Butterfly

I am grateful that I can decide what I'm grateful for, "the complete package" or specific little things. Some times our legitimate problems make us question whether we are "grateful to be alive", and then it's nice to be able to just be grateful for things like the birds at the feeder!

Silver Conversationalist

@EveRH wrote:

I am grateful that I can decide what I'm grateful for, "the complete package" or specific little things. Some times our legitimate problems make us question whether we are "grateful to be alive", and then it's nice to be able to just be grateful for things like the birds at the feeder!

LOL!!  I'mmm soo grateful for humor - and the beneficial impact it can have on our lives!  Smiley LOL

Honored Social Butterfly

I am grateful that I have the stamina to keep working on large vines that have been choking my trees! Even in 80 degree weather, I was totally covered head-to-toe, because there's poison ivy on the property, not to mention mosquitoes (thru your clothes even!).

These vines have become something of an obsession, as if I were helping someone clean up a hoarding situation .. show no mercy! 🙂

15-08-01 - Back Corner Jungle - Cropped.jpg

Recognized Social Butterfly

@EveRH wrote:

I am grateful that I have the stamina to keep working on large vines that have been choking my trees! Even in 80 degree weather, I was totally covered head-to-toe, because there's poison ivy on the property, not to mention mosquitoes (thru your clothes even!).

These vines have become something of an obsession, as if I were helping someone clean up a hoarding situation .. show no mercy! 🙂

15-08-01 - Back Corner Jungle - Cropped.jpg

And I thought only the southeastern US was prone to this kind of overgrowth!!  I anvy the 80 degree weather.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita wrote:

And I thought only the southeastern US was prone to this kind of overgrowth!!  I anvy the 80 degree weather.

I have a friend in SC, so I know how much hotter it is in other places, than in NJ!

I'm amazed I don't have kudzo too .. I don't think! I also have sumac; one sapling has grown up in 5 years, blocking my view of the river .. that's GOT to go!!

Honored Social Butterfly

@EveRH wrote:

Go go go go go! (<- standing ovation for your stamina)

Is that Virginia creeper? If so, I empathize. I have some in one of the tead gardens ... tough to control!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Epster - Yes, some is Virginia creeper .. but that's a piece of cake, compared to rambling roses, with its thorns! I also have wisteria that's overgrown a large holly tree. Even thought the landscapers cut the "vine" (can you even call it a "vine, if it's > 2" thick & woody?) near the bottom of the tree, that thick woody portion is so wound around branches, I can't pull it out!

I also have ivy, which virtually welds itself to the bark of any tree it climbs!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@EveRH Here's sending you carload lots of stamina! (P.S. You rock!)

Honored Social Butterfly

I have another thing to be grateful for: not only is our smoky air* finally clearing, but the organic herbal meds I prepared for DH are holding his allergies at bay.

*caused by wildfires in this and other western states.

Silver Conversationalist

@Epster wrote:

@EveRH wrote:

Go go go go go! (<- standing ovation for your stamina)

Is that Virginia creeper? If so, I empathize. I have some in one of the tead gardens ... tough to control!

OK Epster - you got me!  Even after googling it - it's still not making sense for me...  What on earth is a "tead" garden.   Man Frustrated

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Erp ... it is either a typo OR a tea garden filled with toads. Your choice. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP