Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

Gratitude as a Health Tool

Gratitude can improve your life, and may even save it! No really. Dartmouth posted this web page on the importance of gratitude: http://www.umassd.edu/counseling/forparents/reccomendedreadings/theimportanceofgratitude/

Here’s a clip from that page:

"Researchers ... are turning their attention to the study of gratitude and its relationship to health and mental well-being. I will present some of their findings here to help us understand how gratitude is helpful and why it's important to our well-being.

People who keep gratitude journals on a weekly basis have been found to exercise more regularly, have fewer physical symptoms, feel better about their lives as a whole, and feel more optimistic about their upcoming week as compared to those who keep journals recording the stressors or neutral events of their lives.

Daily discussion of gratitude results in higher reported levels of alertness, enthusiasm, determination, attentiveness, energy, and sleep duration and quality. Grateful people also report lower levels of depression and stress, although they do not deny or ignore the negative aspects of life.

People who think about, talk about, or write about gratitude daily are more likely to report having helped someone with a personal problem or offered emotional support to another person.

Those with a disposition towards gratitude are found to place less importance on material goods, are less likely to judge their own or others success in terms of possessions accumulated, are less envious of wealthy people, and are more likely to share their possessions with others.

Emerging research suggests that daily gratitude practices may have some preventative benefits in warding of coronary artery disease."

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly

@wilful wrote:

@bw95562019 wrote:

i' grateful that we can talk about something other then politics! lol. but i'm really grateful that my 3 yr old grand daughter will be over this evening and i can spend some time with her.

Hi BW9 - Reading your posting reminded me of how grateful I am right now for having our 7 year old granddaughter staying here with us for a month.  Smiley Very Happy

Congrats (and enjoy the visit!) to you both.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Gold Conversationalist

hi wilful, enjoy the visit. they seem to grow so fast! and thanks epster i'm sure i will!

dont take life too serious
Honored Social Butterfly

I am beyond grateful that lifelong learning is not only possible, but fun, and envigorating.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Daily discussion of gratitude results in higher reported levels of alertness, enthusiasm, determination, attentiveness, energy, and sleep duration and quality. Grateful people also report lower levels of depression and stress, although they do not deny or ignore the negative aspects of life.

From http://www.umassd.edu/counseling/forparents/reccomendedreadings/theimportanceofgratitude/

Come on, get happy!Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I am grateful to AARP for the Rewards for Good program, which yesterday helped me save 26% on an oil change. By using a gift card bought here ($90 for a $100 Jiffylube gift card), and using a $10 off Internet coupon,  I ended up saving 26%. Yay! Plus, I have enough funds left on the gift card for the next oil change. Spiffy.

Now to find (extra, extra wide) walking shoes on sale at Zappos ... (don't you just love saving money?)

From http://www.umassd.edu/counseling/forparents/reccomendedreadings/theimportanceofgratitude/

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@Epster wrote:

I am grateful to AARP for the Rewards for Good program, which yesterday helped me save 26% on an oil change. By using a gift card bought here ($90 for a $100 Jiffylube gift card), and using a $10 off Internet coupon,  I ended up saving 26%. Yay! Plus, I have enough funds left on the gift card for the next oil change. Spiffy.

Now to find (extra, extra wide) walking shoes on sale at Zappos ... (don't you just love saving money?)

I'm grateful for the bright blue sky with the white fluffy clouds I saw this morn when I went out to get my newspaper.  "The sky is the daily bread for the eyes."   Yes - I really do still get a newspaper.  Smiley Happy 

I'm grateful that this morn, as I walked out - there was no pain in my foot.  Smiley Happy

I'm grateful that we have another person here ( the Epster) like RT and myself - who appreciates getting good value for his $.   Smiley Happy

Honored Social Butterfly

@wilful wrote:

@Epster wrote:

I'm grateful for the bright blue sky with the white fluffy clouds I saw this morn when I went out to get my newspaper.  "The sky is the daily bread for the eyes."   Yes - I really do still get a newspaper.  Smiley Happy 

I'm grateful that this morn, as I walked out - there was no pain in my foot.  Smiley Happy

I'm grateful that we have another person here ( the Epster) like RT and myself - who appreciates getting good value for his $.   Smiley Happy

Love the quote! I'm a day-long skywatcher.

Excellent that you had no foot pain! I'm grateful for that as well. Smiley Happy 

Annnnd: may the budget-wise unite! Smiley Very Happy

Honored Social Butterfly

I'm grateful that today is supposed to be the last day of our "heat wave", which lasted a little over a week .. and that we're not having forest fires like California! I'm grateful to be heading to my work-out session in a little bit.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

All good things, @EveRH. Enjoy your workout!

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@Epster wrote:

All good things, @EveRH. Enjoy your workout!

I'm grateful that the Epster had the knowledge and urge to start this wonderful thread.  

I'm sooo grateful to be blessed with my bride - who is the best person I have ever known.

"Extraordinary" only faintly describes her intrinsic goodness.

Spoiler
Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

That is beyond sweet, your gratitude for your bride. Wishing you many happy years!

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@Epster wrote:

That is beyond sweet, your gratitude for your bride. Wishing you many happy years!

Thank you...Thank you!!

Smiley Happy

Honored Social Butterfly

I am grateful that despite man's destruction of wildlife habitat, in the endless desire for development, many animals have adapted to live around & among us! I love the birds & critters around me!

Mommy Raccoon, 2012 - Looking in Office Window - 2.JPG

Honored Social Butterfly

Is this one of your photos? Cuuuuute!

@EveRH wrote:

I am grateful that despite man's destruction of wildlife habitat, in the endless desire for development, many animals have adapted to live around & among us! I love the birds & critters around me!

Mommy Raccoon, 2012 - Looking in Office Window - 2.JPG

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for the amusing antics of feral and domestic animals.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful to AARP for another free date night via Movies for Grownups.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for the road ahead. Wherever that leads.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for a dedicated training partner. Yo! You rock!

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for the changes in my body that have come with 20 months of hard work. I'm going to show up at the starting line 30 pounds lighter than I was last year, which was 20 pounds lighter than I was before we got the trikes. This has been quite a journey. (Who knew I had 50 pounds to shed?)

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for a fresh day with fresh opportunities. Rawr!

Honored Social Butterfly

Beyond grateful for this break in the heat. (I'm such a heat weenie!)

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for the rain.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for the mild weather ahead.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for do-overs.

Honored Social Butterfly

Grateful for such mild weather.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Epster wrote:

Is this one of your photos? Cuuuuute!

If you're referring to photos taken with my new camera, it's not. I took that ~ 2009, my first spring living here, when I realized I had a raccoon living in the large tree in front of the house .. and she was very curious about what I was doing!

I've always loved wildlife, like these turkeys who hung around for a while in north Jersey, for a couple of months:

3 Turkeys 2.jpg 

Contributor

I am 72, married 3 times (divorced and widowed), had a rough childhood, raised 4 kids (with whom I don't always "get along"), have 4 grands (+ 1 who only lived 3.5 mos.), am in OK health, recently lost about 50 pounds, very slowly. This past year I made a friend of an 83 year old widow, who had lost her husband of 55 years about 5 years ago. She is the most happy, positive, cheerful, and full of faith person I have ever known. I have learned finally to be thankful every day for my life, my family, my friends, good health, etc. I have also learned to forgive everyone (well almost) whom I have hated and feel sorry for them. I wish no harm to come to anyone and help everyone I can. I am finally at personal piece, ready to enjoy what's left, and thankful I will someday (not too soon) meet my maker. Thanks for reading and G-d bless y'all.

P.S. Beware of those who place the blame on the victims; folks don't choose poverty and despair...

Honored Social Butterfly

Fun!

One more thing for which to be grateful. 

Contributor

Has anyone simply said, "I am grateful to be alive"?  Gratitude becomes a state of being, no object,  I am not grateful for this beautiful day or that weekend or my brother's visit, or my beautiful children. I am grateful for the entire package including those things that appear to be unpleasant.

Take, for example, a recent tenting exbedition to a beauthiful lake in the Smoky Mountains.  By everyday standards the whole thing was a complete bust, never even took the boat out on the water and had to pack it in eaqrlt on the last day due to rain.  What was beautiful about the failure of a few trivial events was the fact that it was not felt as such.  We simply went forward without complaint and did what was needed. Don't judge an event just becaise it went counter to your plan.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@tghoff38 wrote:

Has anyone simply said, "I am grateful to be alive"?  Gratitude becomes a state of being, no object,  I am not grateful for this beautiful day or that weekend or my brother's visit, or my beautiful children. I am grateful for the entire package including those things that appear to be unpleasant.

Take, for example, a recent tenting exbedition to a beauthiful lake in the Smoky Mountains.  By everyday standards the whole thing was a complete bust, never even took the boat out on the water and had to pack it in eaqrlt on the last day due to rain.  What was beautiful about the failure of a few trivial events was the fact that it was not felt as such.  We simply went forward without complaint and did what was needed. Don't judge an event just becaise it went counter to your plan.

You are most welcome to state that you are grateful to be alive.

For me, there are innumerable things for which to offer gratitude: breathing is but one of them. What you typically do not see in my posts is that I am often being grateful for the underbelly of life, the things that didn't go as planned, or hoped. Putting a positive spin on what at first glance might seem an unhappy event *is* gratitude as a health tool. Or so I think. Smiley Happy (And yes, I realize, we are saying the same thing in our own individual manner. Hurrah!)

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP