Check out the 10th anniversary edition of ’99 Great Ways to Save,’ AARP’s annual guide to saving money.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Give Power Walking a Try

Message 1 of 1

huntsman power walking.jpgHuntsman World Senior Games, St George, Utah, power walking photo 

One non-cycling event for future Huntsman World Senior Games allures me: power walking. With a 31 inch inseam, I think I might be a natural. Maybe I'll spend the winter perfecting my gate. How about you? Does this look like a good sport for you?

Here are the power walking rules as posted by the Huntsman World Senior Games: https://seniorgames.net/news/give-power-walking-a-try

And here's an article from VeryWell detailing the differences between Speed Walking, Power Walking and Race Walking: https://www.verywell.com/speed-walking-3435998

What the above article says about Power Walking:

Powerwalking

Power walking is a general technique of walking without the formal racewalking style, but using arm motion for speed. You may be referred to as a powerwalker whenever you are walking fast on a walking workout. Sloppy examples of the powerwalking technique are seen with exaggerated arm motion that does not actually promote speed walking. If you learn good arm motion, you can definitely speed up and improve your workout. Learn how to do it right: fast walking arm motion

Some forms of power walking use hand weights in an attempt to burn more calories or build upper body strength. You'll often see photos labeled as powerwalking with the walker holding hand weights. This is frowned upon by physical therapists as it is a risk factor for strain on the neck, shoulder, elbow and wrist.

It's even worse to use ankle weights or specially designed weighted shoes. Those also increase your risk of strain and injury. See more on why you shouldn't wear weighted shoes or ankle weights when walking.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies