Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Ghee - Anyone Have Personal Experience?

Message 1 of 9

@ASTRAEA wrote:

Ghee seems to be another of the trendy healthy fats being mentioned these days: Huffington Post - Ghee.

Do you have any personal experience with it .. good or bad?

I first heard of Ghee from an Indian friend of mine who made it and used it but did not do so for any health benefits, except that it does not burn as easily since the water and milk solids in the butter have been removed and I guess you could say that eating anything burned is bad for you.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 9

@LaDolceVita - I made breakfast using the ghee today; I didn't notice any difference to the taste of the food. It's expensive, and when I use it up, I'll stick with coconut & olive oils in the future! Since I don't eat bread, it's not like I was looking for a "butter substitute" anyway.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9

@ASTRAEA  Good for you, you tried it.  I am still thinking about trying coconut flavored butter.  It comes pretty highly recommended by low carbers. 

Currently I am using the Amish roll butter which has become available in the grocery stores, very good but a bit too salty.  A big fan of Amish cheese too.  I know, bad. Woman Embarassed.   

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9

@LaDolceVita - Since it has to be refrigerated after being opened, it's hard like a rock, and I haven't had the patience to dig it out in the morning, when the coconut oil's much easier .. but one of these days! Smiley Wink

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9

I have never used it as it sounded like it would take more  time than I had to make the stuff.  I considered buying it from Amazon though.  @ASTRAEA, considering all  the changes you have, splurging forsomething truly delicious might be money wisely spent!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, it's pricey stuff.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9

Yeppers: It is awesome. Not anywhere close to new, but maybe ghee's benefits are enjoying another trend revival?

I make my own, FWIW. I see it for sale at the local Indian grocery stores, but that just seems ... uh ... wrong.

Recipe for anyone wanting one: http://www.everydaymaven.com/2013/how-to-make-ghee/

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 9

I do Indian cooking, but have never used Ghee. Only had a bit of it in some dishes at restaurants. I use 'regular' oil when cooking. I don't see this as very healthy, but it does add some flavor.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Ghee - Anyone Have Personal Experience?

Message 9 of 9

Ghee seems to be another of the trendy healthy fats being mentioned these days: Huffington Post - Ghee.

Do you have any personal experience with it .. good or bad?

Kudos
Views
Replies