Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: Getting Fit for Life .

Message 11 of 24 (233 Views)

5-Minute Exercise Routines to Lose Weight

How many times have you said that you don't have enough time to work out? If you're like most non-exercisers, you say it all the time. But if you're serious about reaching and maintaining your goal weight, you needto find time to exercise. But here's the good news: You only need a few minutes each day.

Rob Fletcher, creator of "ANGT - America's Next Great Trainer," says that a simple five-minute exercise routine can make a big difference. In fact, he challenges his clients to a seven-day jump-start challenge, where he asks them to set aside just five minutes each day to work out. He says this simple commitment helps to ignite healthy habit changes and promote a positive confidence boost.

https://www.verywell.com/5-minute-exercise-routines-to-lose-weight-3495389?utm_campaign=fitsl&utm_me...

this is very good news because for lots of people, five minutes of exercise sounds like a very long time LOL

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Re: Getting Fit for Life .. Office Worker : )

Message 12 of 24 (286 Views)

nyadrn wrote:

10 Office Exercises You Can Do Secretly

Number 9
Copy Machine Calisthenics
Leg lifts and swings.

Time spent watching copies spew out of the copy machine can be rather unproductive. Make use of these precious minutes with some leg toningand strengthening exercises.

With leg lifts and swings you use the muscles in the leg you are moving and also use the weight of your body to strengthen the leg you are standing on for support. It's best to hold onto the copy machine for balance. If you hear someone approaching, you can quickly stop.

This is pretty funny   I can just see your co-workers  LOL

Re: Getting Fit for Life .. Office Worker : )

Message 13 of 24 (268 Views)

10 Office Exercises You Can Do Secretly

Number 9
Copy Machine Calisthenics
Leg lifts and swings.

Time spent watching copies spew out of the copy machine can be rather unproductive. Make use of these precious minutes with some leg toningand strengthening exercises.

With leg lifts and swings you use the muscles in the leg you are moving and also use the weight of your body to strengthen the leg you are standing on for support. It's best to hold onto the copy machine for balance. If you hear someone approaching, you can quickly stop.

>>

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/exercise-at-work/10-office-exercises-you-can-d...

Re: Getting Fit for Life

Message 14 of 24 (317 Views)

There are several different groups that exercise together at work.  They range from the very strenuous to the walking (def not race walking) group.  There are also solo walkers runners etc.  

They all seem to enjoy what they are doing.   Good for them!

Message 15 of 24 (316 Views)

What Does Moderate Exercise Mean, Anyway?
An expert’s explanation — and examples

SHAREFACEBOOKTWITTERLINKEDINPINTERESTEmail

If you talk to a doctor or read physical fitness guidelines, you’re going to come across the phrase “moderate-intensity exercise.”

Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
It’s one of the guiding principles behind fitness recommendations. But patients often are left wondering: What does moderate really mean?

Examples — something for everyone
In the exercise world, we think of moderate-intensity activity as anything that gets your heart rate up to 50 to 60 percent higher than its rate when you are at rest.

Different groups — from the American Heart Association to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention — have slightly different recommendations. But in general, they advise 150 minutes per week (that’s 30 minutes five days a week) of moderate-intensity activity.

“In the exercise world, we think of moderate-intensity activity as anything that gets your heart rate up to 50 to 60 percent higher than its rate when you are at rest.”

Christopher Travers, MS

Cleveland Clinic Sports Health and Cleveland Clinic Executive Health

What does that activity look like? You have plenty of options. All of the following fit the “moderate” definition of exercise:

Walking two miles in 30 minutes
Biking five miles in 30 minutes
Swimming laps for 20 minutes
Running one and a half miles in 15 minutes
Doing water aerobics for 30 minutes
Playing volleyball for 45 minutes
Playing pick-up basketball for 20 minutes
Jumping rope for 15 minutes
Walking stairs for 15 minutes
There’s a lot of variety on that list, and it’s just a sample. Plus, other activities you might not even think of as exercise fit the “moderate” definition:

Washing your car for 45 minutes to an hour
Gardening for 30 to 45 minutes
Raking leaves for 30 minutes
Dancing for 30 minutes
You’ll notice all of the durations on the list are more than 10 minutes at a time. That’s because 10 minutes is the minimum amount of time you need to get the benefits of cardiovascular exercise. I often tell patients to start with 10 to 20 minutes of any activity and work your way up. If you’ve been living a sedentary life, or if you have medical conditions that limit your activity, you need to ease yourself into fitness and see how your body responds.

You’ll also notice that all of the above are cardiovascular exercises. When you’re crafting an overall fitness plan, be sure to incorporate strength training, too.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2015/04/what-does-moderate-exercise-mean-anyway/

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 24 (374 Views)

@nyadrn Oh good. I'll go clean out my ears then. Smiley Happy

Yep: there's something for everyone here. Salute! Smiley Happy

I've said probably hundreds of times that sedentary persons should start slow. Absolute wisdom. But the thing is, you cannot keep your level of exercise low and slow and expect to make gains. Also absolute wisdom. And that goes for whatever level of fitness a person is going for.

Have a great evening. Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

Message 17 of 24 (376 Views)

Epster wrote:

nyadrn wrote:

nyadrn wrote:

150 minutes of moderate exercise is not much really if you are still working or actively maintaining a home etc.  

Doing the things that normal life includes would get you pretty close:

• Take a brisk walk or jog
  • Ride a bike
  • Rake leaves or push a lawn mower
  • Sweep or dust
  • Play tennis
  • Walk up and down stairs
  • Carry groceries

Good news. 

Everyone is different.  Everyone has different goals and levels of fitness.  I personally have no need or desire to maintain a rigorous killer workout routine

I just underwent a series of health evaluations and I am doing great.  But I could be run over tomorrow by a car driven by an overweight drunken person smoking a cigarette and speeding.  That's life. There are no guarantees no matter what you do.    😀

@nyadrn Hey, maybe it's just me, but you sound defensive. I'm sorry if what I've said gave you cause for defense. I'm telling my story in the hope of helping someone (not necessarily you, these things get read by thousands of others) win the fitness game. I'm not taking anyone to task here. 

I'm wishing everyone excellent health.

Smiley Happy

Nope. I have no need to be defensive.

Your story is great for you and you have posted many topics about your level of exercise.  Not everyone is interested in that and they are just as valid in their own pursuits.  So this topic is about people who are trying to go from none to some.  The more moderate group.  

As I am sure you know starting slow is better than never starting.  

[ Edited ]
Message 18 of 24 (378 Views)

nyadrn wrote:

nyadrn wrote:

150 minutes of moderate exercise is not much really if you are still working or actively maintaining a home etc.  

• Ride a bike
  • Sweep or dust
  • Play tennis
  • Carry groceries

Good news. 

Everyone is different.  Everyone has different goals and levels of fitness.  I personally have no need or desire to maintain a rigorous killer workout routine

I just underwent a series of health evaluations and I am doing great.  But I could be run over tomorrow by a car driven by an overweight drunken person smoking a cigarette and speeding.  That's life. There are no guarantees no matter what you do.    😀

@nyadrn Hey, maybe it's just me, but you sound defensive. I'm sorry if what I've said gave you cause for defense. I'm telling my story in the hope of helping someone (not necessarily you, these things get read by thousands of others) win the fitness game. I'm not taking anyone to task here. 

I'm wishing everyone excellent health.

Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

[ Edited ]
Message 19 of 24 (382 Views)

nyadrn wrote:

• Ride a bike
  • Sweep or dust
  • Play tennis
  • Carry groceries

Good news. 

[ Edited ]
Message 20 of 24 (429 Views)

nyadrn wrote:

• Ride a bike
  • Sweep or dust
  • Play tennis
  • Carry groceries

It was not until I began doing at least 600 minutes of aerobic exercise a week that I began to lose weight and tone my body. When I walked 3.25 miles a day at a mildly fast pace (about 240 minutes a week), I had great vitals, but I was also nearly 4 dress sizes larger than I am now.

I did ths for a year. I walked in freezing temps, blistering temps, rain and snow 6 days a week. That level of activity served to maintain my weight. It was not until I  radically increased my exercise pace and time that I was able to drop the weight. To get to my current level of fitness --which, admittedly is far beyond the fitness level most seniors would choose-- I had to change my metabolism. Both DH (who has lost 20 pounds to my 50) and I found that 240 minutes of strolling a week did not accomplish fitness. We both feel better now than we have in 30 years. And we are both absolute devotees of sweat. Smiley Happy

Your results may vary.