Conversationalist

Gardening Tips 🌱 Quotes 🌸 Signs❗️

Do you have a gardening tip to share? Do you have a gardening question? Do you know a garden related quote? How about a garden sign?
This is the place to share!

Tip: “Plant what you love, not what you think you should grow. You are much more likely to have success tending to a crop that you actually like.” 🌱

”To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.” Audrey Hepburn 🌸

Garden Sign: Free Weeds Pull Your Own

Kudos
Views
Replies
Social Butterfly

@RosemaryF433825 wrote:

HOWEVER, if you have pets, please check and make sure that what you are buying isn't toxic to them.  Philodendron, peace lily, spider plants, and some herbs are poisonous to animals.  YIKES!

💥Lol @RosemaryF433825 no pets or kids, just spiders - hope those plants are toxic for them. 🤣😂 💥

Angela
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@RetirementAngelaVA (Handing Angela her tried and true double Kleenexes, guarantee to grab spiders no matter how big.)

Social Butterfly

@RosemaryF433825 wrote:

@RetirementAngelaVA (Handing Angela her tried and true double Kleenexes, guarantee to grab spiders no matter how big.)

💥Lol, @RosemaryF433825 handle a spider. Girl I do not want to be up close and personal with them. 🤣😂 I use my shoe or broom to swat them. Then spray them as I have learn't they pretend to be dead, then get up and run for cover. 😱 Next, out comes my long-handled (note, long/lol) dust pan with a tiny Dollar Tree broom (also long handled), sweep up my victim/lol and flush down my toilet. 😁 Angela💥

Angela
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@RetirementAngelaVA   Yikes, Angela!  And here I thought you were a very sweet, compassionate woman!  You're downright VICIOUS!  (Of course you DO realize they will come up out of your toilet and bite you in the buttskie if you get too violent with them...right?   Hehehe

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly

@RosemaryF433825 wrote:

@RetirementAngelaVA   Yikes, Angela!  And here I thought you were a very sweet, compassionate woman!  You're downright VICIOUS!  (Of course you DO realize they will come up out of your toilet and bite you in the buttskie if you get too violent with them...right?   Hehehe

💥 Lol @RosemaryF433825 🤣😂 Angela 💥

Angela
0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

I don't know but spider plant is reputed to be a good air cleaner.

https://www.rollingnature.com/blogs/news/spider-plant-nasa-approved-natural-air-purifier

However, I know as fact that an inexpensive negative ion generater removes smoke from the air.  Unfortunately, the smoke is deposited on walls and furniture.

Social Butterfly

Thanks @aruzinsky 😁 I will try the Spider Plant.

Angela
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Friday - June 11, 2021

If you want to be happy for a lifetime, be a gardener! Picture attached.

f6429e980deb38944fa13b107bcbfc1d.jpg

Angela
Conversationalist

May all your weeds be wildflowers

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly

@LindaB671 wrote:

May all your weeds be wildflowers

💥I luv my wild flowers @LindaB671 💥

Angela
Conversationalist

According to Boeckmann, the easiest vegetables to grow are lettuce, green beans, peas, radishes, carrots, cucumbers, kale, Swiss chard, beets and zucchini.  🌱

According to Boeckmann, is tomato a fruit instead of a vegetable?  I ask because tomato is the most popular homegrown food crop.  And, whereas there is little difference in taste between homegrown and store bought " lettuce, green beans, peas, radishes, carrots, cucumbers, kale, Swiss chard, beets and zucchini," homegrown tomatoes taste much better than store bought tomatoes.  And the difference between homegrown and store bought tomato juice is even greater.  That is why tomato is the most popular home grown food crop.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Birth Month Flowers for June: rose and honeysuckle 

A bouquet of roses mean sincere gratitude, whereas a single rose amplifies the meaning of the color (I.e. a single rose means “I love you”). The other June flower is honeysuckle, which is a strong symbol for the everlasting bonds of love.  (Farmer’s Almanac )  🌸

Super Contributor

We just planted honeysuckle ! Excited to see it grow.

Social Butterfly

@TheSuzyQ wrote:

We just planted honeysuckle ! Excited to see it grow.

💥 Awesome @TheSuzyQ and hope you share the pictures with us 😁 💥

Angela
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

“To weed or not to weed. That is the garden.”  🌸

Regular Contributor

The latest addition to our current project...

Will be adding the veggie portion this week...Pansy SnapdragonsPansy Snapdragons20210530_153405.jpg20210530_153418.jpg20210530_153429.jpgFuchsia and GardeniaFuchsia and Gardenia20210530_153611.jpg20210530_153640_Burst01.jpgthis will be a Strawberry bedthis will be a Strawberry bed20210530_180712 (1).jpg20210530_180712.jpgAfter a hard days work....After a hard days work....Hummingbird feeding area. sits above the patio for observationHummingbird feeding area. sits above the patio for observationnewest addition to the project. Will have Verbanium, Black Holyhocks and multi-colored 4 O'Clocksnewest addition to the project. Will have Verbanium, Black Holyhocks and multi-colored 4 O'Clocks

Regular Contributor

20210530_100523.jpg

Social Butterfly

@AaronA108617 what tips do you have for Cacti? Luv your picture 😁

Angela
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Cacti are a plant that will tell you when they need water....so until they beg...don't give them any...

If you get them at a garden center 99.9% chance that they were greenhouse raised so there will be an adjustment to outdoors....sometimes they will get sunburned because they have had indirect or filtered sun.

Social Butterfly

@AaronA108617 wrote:

Cacti are a plant that will tell you when they need water....so until they beg...don't give them any...

If you get them at a garden center 99.9% chance that they were greenhouse raised so there will be an adjustment to outdoors....sometimes they will get sunburned because they have had indirect or filtered sun.

💥 Thanks @AaronA108617 for your quick and informative response to my question 😁 Angela 💥

Angela
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Poppies for Memorial Day:

62498D04-0E00-4B7A-89C2-315207F73EF9.jpeg

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

“Everything blooms in its own time.”  🌸

Ferns and mosses don't bloom.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@LindaB671 wrote:

“Everything blooms in its own time.”  🌸

💥 So true @LindaB671 😁 💥

Angela

Ferns and mosses don't bloom.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Birth Month Flowers:

May - lily of the valley & hawthorn

The lily of the valley signifies sweetness, humility and a return to happiness.

The other May flower is the hawthorn plant, which represents hope and supreme happiness. Hawthorn signifies that you want only the best for the recipient. (Old Farmer’s Almanac)  🌺

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Believe it or not, a lot of the weeds you're pulling up and tossing are edible and nutritious. If you want to learn more about your garden's wild foods, check out the presentation I'll be giving for Urban Harvest: https://www.urbanharvest.org/stec_event/foraging-weeds-garden/

Save money, save time, eat weeds. 🙂

-Mark

www.foragingtexas.com
www.medicinemanplantco.com
YouTube: DrMerriwether
Conversationalist

“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”  Abraham Lincoln  🌸

Social Butterfly

@LindaB671 wrote:

“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”  Abraham Lincoln  🌸

Luv this @LindaB671 😁

Angela
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Join The Girlfriend and AARP® Staying Sharp® for a special live Facebook event on June 17th at 7:30 p.m. ET! Therapist Rachel Noble will discuss tips to create well-being and joy as we emerge from the pandemic.

Members Can Save More When They Travel

Save when booking a flight & hotel package. Join AARP today for just $12 per year with Automatic Renewal.

AARP Membership

AARP Rewards

Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts. Get started with AARP Rewards now!

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health