Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Gardening Tips ๐ŸŒฑ Quotes ๐ŸŒธ Signsโ—๏ธ

Silver Conversationalist

Gardening Tips ๐ŸŒฑ Quotes ๐ŸŒธ Signsโ—๏ธ

Do you have a gardening tip to share? Do you have a gardening question? Do you know a garden related quote? How about a garden sign?
This is the place to share!

Tip: โ€œPlant what you love, not what you think you should grow. You are much more likely to have success tending to a crop that you actually like.โ€ ๐ŸŒฑ

โ€To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.โ€ Audrey Hepburn ๐ŸŒธ

Garden Sign: Free Weeds Pull Your Own โ—

Kudos
Views
Replies
Silver Conversationalist

Here in the picture you can see my rose bush in full bloom. Whatโ€™s blooming at your home?CEDE1706-C75A-40F8-ACED-61E3EA41B7AA.jpeg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LindaB671 wrote:

Here in the picture you can see my rose bush in full bloom. Whatโ€™s blooming at your home?CEDE1706-C75A-40F8-ACED-61E3EA41B7AA.jpeg

๐Ÿ’ฅ Beautiful @LindaB671 ๐Ÿ˜ Are they miniatures? Angela ๐Ÿ’ฅ

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Thank you @Anonymous . No, just not real big flowers.

Bronze Conversationalist

@LindaB671   They are so VIBRANT, Linda!  (I love VIBRANT colors in my garden!!)

Silver Conversationalist

Thank you @RosemaryF433825 !

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Tip: Donโ€™t forget herbs. 
โ€œIn small-space or container gardening, youโ€™ll get the most flavor per square foot by growing herbs. Think: basil, oregano, cilantro, rosemary, thyme or mint. Some less-common herbs include chervil or lemon verbena.โ€  (Torpey). ๐ŸŒฑ

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LindaB671 wrote:

Tip: Donโ€™t forget herbs. 
โ€œIn small-space or container gardening, youโ€™ll get the most flavor per square foot by growing herbs. Think: basil, oregano, cilantro, rosemary, thyme or mint. Some less-common herbs include chervil or lemon verbena.โ€  (Torpey). ๐ŸŒฑ

๐Ÿ’ฅ My daughter is fighting with bugs in Florida.This is her 1st attempt of gardening of any kind. She loves fresh herbs. ๐Ÿ’ฅ

Anonymous
Not applicable

Friday - June 11, 2021

TO: The Gardening Crew

@LindaB671 and @aruzinsky and @TheSuzyQ and @AaronA108617 and @MarkV847771 

Are there any indoor plants that help with the stale odor of cigarette smoke? I do not smoke nor have a smoker living with me, just neighbors who do. We share a common wall in an apartment complex. Smoke comes in through wall. ๐Ÿ˜ž

My challenge is at nights due to not being able to sleep safely at nights with the one window I have in my cute Studio Apartment open. ๐Ÿ˜ญ

I do open window as soon as daylight arrives. ๐Ÿ™‚

Really enjoying your Gardening Thread. Lots of awesome pictures and information. So glad Linda started this thread.

Thanks,

Angela

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@Anonymous โ€œThe most effective and natural way to get rid of tobacco smoke odors and pollutants is with plants. The best plants for improving indoor air quality include the philodendron, spider plant, English ivy, peace lily, bamboo palm and golden pathos. Gerbera daisies and English ivy have been shown to remove benzene, a toxin in cigarette smoke. Some fragrant indoor plants include jasmine, spearmint, eucalyptus, lemon balm (brush or lightly rub the leaves to release the sweet lemon aroma), lavender and rosemary.โ€  (Berkowitz). ๐ŸŒฑ Good Luck!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @LindaB671 Lol, I need to buy all of the plants. ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚

Bronze Conversationalist

HOWEVER, if you have pets, please check and make sure that what you are buying isn't toxic to them.  Philodendron, peace lily, spider plants, and some herbs are poisonous to animals.  YIKES!

Silver Conversationalist

Thank you for the important reminder @RosemaryF433825 .

Bronze Conversationalist

@LindaB671   Welcome, Linda!   I have an indoor kitty, plus I puppy sit from time-to-time, so I needed to check into it.  I also found out that poinsettia plants at Christmas time are VERY toxic to animals...which is a bummer as I really like them.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RosemaryF433825 wrote:

@LindaB671   Welcome, Linda!   I have an indoor kitty, plus I puppy sit from time-to-time, so I needed to check into it.  I also found out that poinsettia plants at Christmas time are VERY toxic to animals...which is a bummer as I really like them.  

๐Ÿ’ฅ @RosemaryF433825 if you have indoor plants, how do you keep your kitty away from them? Thanks, Angela ๐Ÿ’ฅ

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@Anonymous   If you need to keep a kitty from digging in your potted plants?  Put tinfoil over the dirt.  Cats hate the sound of walking on it.  Otherwise, if I find him chewing on one, I pick him up, tap his nose with the end of my finger, and strongly tell him "NO."  He's done really well with that, with the exception of one plant that he is slowly destroying.  ๐Ÿ˜ซ

Trusted Social Butterfly

Bronze Conversationalist

@aruzinsky   Interesting.  I just read the other day that they were toxic. LOL  Who knew there were two sides to this plant eh?  ๐Ÿค”

Kudos
Views
Anonymous
Not applicable

@aruzinsky wrote:

ASPCA says spider plants are safe for cats and dogs.

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/spider-plant

๐Ÿ’ฅ Thanks @aruzinsky ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ’ฅ

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RosemaryF433825 wrote:

HOWEVER, if you have pets, please check and make sure that what you are buying isn't toxic to them.  Philodendron, peace lily, spider plants, and some herbs are poisonous to animals.  YIKES!

๐Ÿ’ฅLol @RosemaryF433825 no pets or kids, just spiders - hope those plants are toxic for them. ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ’ฅ

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@Anonymous (Handing Angela her tried and true double Kleenexes, guarantee to grab spiders no matter how big.)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RosemaryF433825 wrote:

@Anonymous (Handing Angela her tried and true double Kleenexes, guarantee to grab spiders no matter how big.)

๐Ÿ’ฅLol, @RosemaryF433825 handle a spider. Girl I do not want to be up close and personal with them. ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚ I use my shoe or broom to swat them. Then spray them as I have learn't they pretend to be dead, then get up and run for cover. ๐Ÿ˜ฑ Next, out comes my long-handled (note, long/lol) dust pan with a tiny Dollar Tree broom (also long handled), sweep up my victim/lol and flush down my toilet. ๐Ÿ˜ Angela๐Ÿ’ฅ

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@Anonymous   Yikes, Angela!  And here I thought you were a very sweet, compassionate woman!  You're downright VICIOUS!  (Of course you DO realize they will come up out of your toilet and bite you in the buttskie if you get too violent with them...right?   Hehehe

Kudos
Views
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RosemaryF433825 wrote:

@Anonymous   Yikes, Angela!  And here I thought you were a very sweet, compassionate woman!  You're downright VICIOUS!  (Of course you DO realize they will come up out of your toilet and bite you in the buttskie if you get too violent with them...right?   Hehehe

๐Ÿ’ฅ Lol @RosemaryF433825 ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚ Angela ๐Ÿ’ฅ

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I don't know but spider plant is reputed to be a good air cleaner.

https://www.rollingnature.com/blogs/news/spider-plant-nasa-approved-natural-air-purifier

However, I know as fact that an inexpensive negative ion generater removes smoke from the air.  Unfortunately, the smoke is deposited on walls and furniture.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @aruzinsky ๐Ÿ˜ I will try the Spider Plant.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

May all your weeds be wildflowers โ—

Kudos
Views
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LindaB671 wrote:

May all your weeds be wildflowers โ—

๐Ÿ’ฅI luv my wild flowers @LindaB671 ๐Ÿ’ฅ

Silver Conversationalist

According to Boeckmann, the easiest vegetables to grow are lettuce, green beans, peas, radishes, carrots, cucumbers, kale, Swiss chard, beets and zucchini.  ๐ŸŒฑ

Trusted Social Butterfly

According to Boeckmann, is tomato a fruit instead of a vegetable?  I ask because tomato is the most popular homegrown food crop.  And, whereas there is little difference in taste between homegrown and store bought " lettuce, green beans, peas, radishes, carrots, cucumbers, kale, Swiss chard, beets and zucchini," homegrown tomatoes taste much better than store bought tomatoes.  And the difference between homegrown and store bought tomato juice is even greater.  That is why tomato is the most popular home grown food crop.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Birth Month Flowers for June: rose and honeysuckle 

A bouquet of roses mean sincere gratitude, whereas a single rose amplifies the meaning of the color (I.e. a single rose means โ€œI love youโ€). The other June flower is honeysuckle, which is a strong symbol for the everlasting bonds of love.  (Farmerโ€™s Almanac )  ๐ŸŒธ

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP