Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Silver Conversationalist

Gardening Tips 🌱 Quotes 🌸 Signs❗️

Do you have a gardening tip to share? Do you have a gardening question? Do you know a garden related quote? How about a garden sign?
This is the place to share!

Tip: “Plant what you love, not what you think you should grow. You are much more likely to have success tending to a crop that you actually like.” 🌱

”To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.” Audrey Hepburn 🌸

Garden Sign: Free Weeds Pull Your Own

Kudos
Views
Replies
Bronze Conversationalist

☀️ Our spring flowers survived the snow yesterday! 🌷 

"Come the Spring with all its splendor, all its birds and
all its blossoms, all its flowers and leaves and grasses."

~ William Wordsworth Longfellow

Our Spring Flowers 2021.JPG

Silver Conversationalist

@TheSuzyQ  Your spring flowers are absolutely gorgeous! I’m glad they survived the snow. I love the quote too!

Bronze Conversationalist

Question: How do YOU pronounce PEONY? Do you say "pee'-uh-nee" (accent on the first syllable) or do you say "pee-oh'-nee" (accent on the second syllable). Please respond and indicate what part of the country you are from. I am conducting a survey on the correct pronunciation of one of my favorite flowers. This is a topic of heated conversation in our family at the moment lol 😆

FYI, I pronounce peony as "pee-oh'-nee". My daughter pronounces peony as  "pee'-uh-nee". We live in the wild west. 🙂 

Silver Conversationalist

Great idea @TheSuzyQ! It’s pee’-uh-nee for me in Upstate NY. 
I have one: dandelion

Is it dan’-duh-lai-uhn or dan-dee-lai-uhn for you? I say it the first way, my dad said it the 2nd way. He’s been gone 24 years and I can still hear him say it!

Bronze Conversationalist

Had to think about this one! I say it the first way: dan’-duh-lai-uhn. My husband says it the second way: dan-dee-lai-uhn. We have been saying dandelion for 5 minutes straight now and we have no idea why we say it the way we do lol.

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

“Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow.

It’s what sunflowers do.” – Helen Keller

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

Contributor

In Seattle it's pee'-uh-nee (first syllable accent) but I have also heard pee-nee. Out West we are always anxious to use our time wisely- weed rather than waste time with three syllable words!!

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

… I will go root away
The noisome weeds, which without profit suck
The soil’s fertility from wholesome flowers.

― William Shakespeare, Richard II

Silver Conversationalist

I’m in Upstate New York and pronounce PEONY pee’-uh-nee with the accent on the first syllable.

Super Contributor

Interesting. In Minnesota we pronounced it pee'-oh-NEE with the emphases on the last syllable.

-Mark

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com
Bronze Conversationalist

Very interesting!  

Community Manager
Community Manager

If you're new to gardening, check out the upcoming AARP Gardening at Home virtual series 🌻 There's a great lineup from planning, to soil selection and maintaining your garden!

Silver Conversationalist

“‘Twas Easter Sunday. The blossomed trees filled all the air with fragrance and joy.”  Longfellow. 🐣🌸

Periodic Contributor

I’ve been gardening for about 50 years. My mom taught me the secret to gardening, “You get a lot of plants and some of them grow!”. Bottom line is to not be afraid to experiment. The best place to get plants is a group or friends who alike to share or trade like a garden club. When I moved to Bryan/College Station, TX I had visions of growing blueberries plus all the plants I had been growing south of Houston that like acidic soil. I’ve had to learn that we have clay alkaline soil here and our water is salty. Summers are brutal with temps above 100 for days. It has been a big adjustment.

I agree with everyone who said add compost. Also mulch which breaks down into compost, helps prevent weeds, and helps hold moisture. I pick up bags of leaves and grass clippings that people put out by the street- free compost materials! Embarrasses my children, but who cares!

Silver Conversationalist

“Where flowers bloom so does hope.” 🌸

Lady Bird Johnson

Conversationalist

I have green onions growing, and it’s all year round. They Love water, singing and talking to them. I also planted Kale last September from seed and it’s giving me endless leaves and yes, I sing, touch, water and talk with it too. Plants need that touch and water, sunshine and singing, so talk awayyyyyyyyyyyy L

Bronze Conversationalist

🌷  “A garden to walk in and immensity to dream in--what more could he ask? A few flowers at his feet and above him the stars.” 🌟
― Victor Hugo, Les Misérables

Silver Conversationalist

Tip: Look for regionally adapted plant varieties.

”You’ll have better luck if you pick varieties that are meant for your region. Some are named after the locale in which they were bred. For example, ‘San Francisco Fog’ is a tomato that’s ideal for Bay Area summers. ‘King of the North’ is a red bell pepper bred in Maine and it grows well in cooler, shorter Northeast seasons. Utilize seed catalogs or pick up starter plants at your local farmer’s market.” Torpey 🌱

Regular Social Butterfly

Great tip @LindaB671 ! Also consider regional seasons; when I moved to Denver from KC, neighbor advised don't plant until after Memorial Day, and I shook my head... until that late snow storm froze my tomato seedlings on Memorial Day eve :}

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Community Manager
Community Manager

"We might think we are nurturing our garden, but of course, it's our garden that is really nurturing us." 🌱

Social Butterfly

Don’t let the bug, fungus, lack of rain, sun scorch, vermin, or critter damage discourage you!

Regular Contributor

I actually have a website...that discusses Gardening...life...recipes and the Constitution.

I've always taken a very wise mans advice...

If you want to be happy for a little while...get drunk

If you want to be happy for a long time...fall in love

If you want to be happy forever...take up gardening...

My father taught me how to grow pumpkins when I was four. I've had my hands in the dirt ever since. I chose the later...he was a pretty wise man

Conversationalist

What is the best dirt to use without the bugs for growing vegetables? I’ve purchased soil but it always has knats.

Kudos
Views

Where did you purchase your soil.  I bought organic soil for veggies from Home Depot and it's great - you can also get it with fertilizer in it.

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

I make my own dirt...

Organic of course...

Not sure where you're located but you can usually find it through a community garden network or there are soil places that sell by the yard....to give you idea of a yard...one of those large bags you buy at HD is 2 cubic feet there are 13.5 of those bags in a yard....so it all depends on your needs as to where you want to purchase soil.

Silver Conversationalist

@8strts 

Tip: “The best soil suitable for vegetables includes a lot of compost and organic matter. Compost or black gold,as gardeners like to call it, contains the basic nutrients your plants need to grow your vegetables. It also adds organic matter back into the soil.” You can make your own compost with material such as leaves and peelings from your fruits and vegetables, or you can buy compost at your local nursery. Please see previous posts in this thread for more information.  🌱

Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to our gardening tips and quotes @AaronA108617 🙂

Regular Contributor

Thank you!!!!

Bronze Conversationalist

☀️“Essential advice for the gardener: grow peas of mind, lettuce be thankful, squash selfishness, turnip to help thy neighbor, and always make thyme for loved ones.” – Unknown 🌻

Silver Conversationalist

“Advice from a garden:

Cultivate lasting friendships. Sow seeds of kindness. Listen to sage advice. Don’t let the little things bug you. Be outstanding in your field. Take thyme for yourself. No vining!”  🌸

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @LindaB671 are you okay? I am missing your DAILY tips and quotes 😞 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP