Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Gardening Tips ๐ŸŒฑ Quotes ๐ŸŒธ Signsโ—๏ธ

Silver Conversationalist

Gardening Tips ๐ŸŒฑ Quotes ๐ŸŒธ Signsโ—๏ธ

Do you have a gardening tip to share? Do you have a gardening question? Do you know a garden related quote? How about a garden sign?
This is the place to share!

Tip: โ€œPlant what you love, not what you think you should grow. You are much more likely to have success tending to a crop that you actually like.โ€ ๐ŸŒฑ

โ€To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.โ€ Audrey Hepburn ๐ŸŒธ

Garden Sign: Free Weeds Pull Your Own โ—

Kudos
Views
Replies
Regular Contributor

I harvested a few veggies from our garden this morning. We're getting so much okra this year, I love it!

veggies.PNG

Silver Conversationalist

Wow @santaboba those tomatoes look delicious! I donโ€™t know if Iโ€™ve ever had okra. It looks like zucchini to me.

Regular Contributor

Thank you, @LindaB671! Okra is a favorite green veggie at our house.

Silver Conversationalist

I hope everyone is enjoying this seasonโ€™s bounty of fresh fruits and vegetables. 
September birth flowers are the aster and the morning glory. Asters are symbols of powerful love. Morning glories are simple symbols of affection. (Old Farmerโ€™s Almanac) ๐ŸŒฑ

Silver Conversationalist

The August birth flowers are the gladiolus and the poppy.

The gladiolus, or โ€˜sword lilyโ€™, represents remembrance, calm, integrity and infatuation. Gladiolus indicates that the heart is being โ€˜pierced with loveโ€™.

The other August flower is the poppy. A red poppy signifies pleasure; a white poppy is given for consolation; and, a yellow poppy wishes wealth and success. (Old Farmerโ€™s Almanac). ๐ŸŒธ

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

โ€œI see trees of green, red roses too. I see them bloom for me and you and I think to myself what a wonderful world.โ€  ๐ŸŒธ

Silver Conversationalist

โ€œGardening is the art that uses flowers and plants as paint, and the soil and sky as canvas.โ€  (Murray). ๐ŸŒธ

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi friends! Hope you're all doing well and that you and your gardens are making it through the heat okay. I saw this and wanted to share: 11 Types of Flowers to Plant Right Now for a Beautiful Garden

It's not too late to plant or start a garden! I just planted some bee balm and sweet potato vine in one of my balcony planters. I'm looking forward to the new blooms!

Silver Conversationalist

โ€œWe may think we are nurturing our garden, but of course itโ€™s our garden that is really nurturing us.โ€  (Uglow)   ๐ŸŒธ

Silver Conversationalist

Tip: Growing Lavender.

Lavender is a bushy, strong-scented plant from the Mediterranean. Research has confirmed that lavender produces slight calming, soothing and sedative effects when its scent is inhaled. In warmer regions, itโ€™s gray to green foliage stays evergreen throughout the year, and the herb thrives in some of the toughest of garden conditions. It will attract pollinators to the garden. It will survive in a wide range of soils. Lavender isnโ€™t easy to grow from seed. We recommend small starter plants planted 2 to 3 feet apart. In warm climates pruning can be done in autumn. In cooler, prune in spring. (Old Farmerโ€™s Almanac). ๐ŸŒฑ

C3AE7595-2964-4CF4-BF2A-BD2A3197C050.jpeg

Regular Contributor

Gardening - just another day at the plantโ—

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Happy July 4th!

D19CD08F-CA3C-43BE-B245-9F6D376A0AB6.jpeg

Silver Conversationalist

Julyโ€™s birth flowers are the larkspur and water lily. The larkspur, especially white forms , generally indicates lightheartedness; pink, fickleness; purple, first love. The water lily symbolizes purity of heart.  ๐ŸŒบ

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Tip: Growing hostas.

Hostas are hardy perennials that are especially perfect for a garden that doesnโ€™t get too much sun. They are reliable, easy to grow and long lived. Plant  them in the spring or summer and cut back in the fall after a few frosts. There are many sizes, heights, textures and colors. The plants produce flowers from early summer to early fall. Hummingbirds and other pollinators love the flowers.  (Old Farmerโ€™s Almanac)   ๐ŸŒฑ

Here are pictures of mine:

608AAD74-5C2A-43EB-9B38-755184C3CD48.jpeg

4A4C7E00-DAD7-4E9E-B639-671F203DCA41.jpeg

Bronze Conversationalist

@LindaB671 Oooh!   You have nice big lush ones!!!!

Silver Conversationalist

@RosemaryF433825  Thank you! I think the key is cutting them back, as they seem to come back fuller every year.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@LindaB671   Honestly?  I've never cut mine back.  Just let them do their thing and they manage to come back every year.   (shrugs)

Silver Conversationalist

Snail crossingโ—

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@LindaB671   People are always trying to find some way to rid themselves of snails in their gardens.  I think they are interesting and sweet.  I found one in my Mom's memory garden yesterday and it made me smile.   

Silver Conversationalist

@RosemaryF433825  Your post made me smile. My mom passed away in February and a friend gave me a heart-shaped stepping stone for my garden in her honor.

As for the snails, apparently they can do quite a number on some things, but they have never been bothersome in my gardens. Like you, Iโ€™ll continue to let them cross, especially on Momโ€™s stepping stone. Take care. ๐ŸŒ

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@LindaB671  And your sweet reply made me smile back.  Thanks for that!

My sympathies are surely with you over the loss of your Mom.  I've "been there and done that," and know what path that takes you.  My Mom passed away 14 years ago this past May, but I can still hear her laughter and see the sparkle in her eyes.  (That's the good stuff we get to keep close to our hearts!). โค๏ธ

Silver Conversationalist

@RosemaryF433825  14 yearsโ€ฆ4 monthsโ€ฆIt doesnโ€™t matterโ€ฆItโ€™s Mom. Iโ€™m so sorry for your loss as well. Keep those memories close and continue to enjoy the wonders in โ€œMomโ€™s Gardenโ€.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@LindaB671  It's  indeed Mom !   Thanks for your sympathies, too.  She was quite a gal, my Mom!  ๐Ÿค—

Silver Conversationalist

Tip: Planting Roses

Rose bushes are often at their very best in June, but many types will flower from late May through early fall. Rose bushes come in a variety of forms, from climbing roses to miniature rose plants. If you order bare-root roses from a mail-order company, order with your planting date in mind; as they should be planted as soon as they arrive. In colder regions, plant in spring; warmer regions early spring or late fall. Plant potted roses by late spring for best results; but can be planted any time during growing season. Plant where theyโ€™ll receive a minimum of 6 hours of sun per day. Morning sun is best. In colder climates, consider planting close to home foundation. Be sure not to crowd multiple roses. Roses like loose, loomy soil leaning more toward sandy.  (Old Farmerโ€™s Almanac). ๐ŸŒน

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@LindaB671   And might I add, please????

Once the flowers on your roses start dying away, if you clip them down to the first branch with 5 leaves on it, you will be rewarded ๐Ÿค— with even more new buds and flowers!  And you may well end up with double the blooms you started with!    Enjoy!!  

Silver Conversationalist

Thank you @RosemaryF433825 !

Bronze Conversationalist

@LindaB671  Very welcome!   Always happy to add something that might help someone else.  Happy Gardening!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

When I started studying Botanical Sciences our first project was to create and design a rose garden for this...well off...lady in Southern California...

We put 720 different domestic and wild roses on this property. 

My head was numb when I heard the number...surely there is not that many different types?????

Two months latter the garden was completed. Each rose in it's own setting with a name placard detailing when, where, and who developed the variety. The wild variety's all had information on where found etc...

Needless to say I came away with a new appreciation foryard_6-7 020.JPGyard_6-7 032.JPG roses....

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet.

William Shakespeare

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP