Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Gardening Tips ๐ŸŒฑ Quotes ๐ŸŒธ Signsโ—๏ธ

Silver Conversationalist

Gardening Tips ๐ŸŒฑ Quotes ๐ŸŒธ Signsโ—๏ธ

Do you have a gardening tip to share? Do you have a gardening question? Do you know a garden related quote? How about a garden sign?
This is the place to share!

Tip: โ€œPlant what you love, not what you think you should grow. You are much more likely to have success tending to a crop that you actually like.โ€ ๐ŸŒฑ

โ€To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.โ€ Audrey Hepburn ๐ŸŒธ

Garden Sign: Free Weeds Pull Your Own โ—

Kudos
Views
Replies
Bronze Conversationalist

We just planted honeysuckle ! Excited to see it grow.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheSuzyQ wrote:

We just planted honeysuckle ! Excited to see it grow.

๐Ÿ’ฅ Awesome @TheSuzyQ and hope you share the pictures with us ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ’ฅ

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

โ€œTo weed or not to weed. That is the garden.โ€  ๐ŸŒธ

Regular Contributor

The latest addition to our current project...

Will be adding the veggie portion this week...Pansy SnapdragonsPansy Snapdragons20210530_153405.jpg20210530_153418.jpg20210530_153429.jpgFuchsia and GardeniaFuchsia and Gardenia20210530_153611.jpg20210530_153640_Burst01.jpgthis will be a Strawberry bedthis will be a Strawberry bed20210530_180712 (1).jpg20210530_180712.jpgAfter a hard days work....After a hard days work....Hummingbird feeding area. sits above the patio for observationHummingbird feeding area. sits above the patio for observationnewest addition to the project. Will have Verbanium, Black Holyhocks and multi-colored 4 O'Clocksnewest addition to the project. Will have Verbanium, Black Holyhocks and multi-colored 4 O'Clocks

Regular Contributor

20210530_100523.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AaronA108617 what tips do you have for Cacti? Luv your picture ๐Ÿ˜

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Cacti are a plant that will tell you when they need water....so until they beg...don't give them any...

If you get them at a garden center 99.9% chance that they were greenhouse raised so there will be an adjustment to outdoors....sometimes they will get sunburned because they have had indirect or filtered sun.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AaronA108617 wrote:

Cacti are a plant that will tell you when they need water....so until they beg...don't give them any...

If you get them at a garden center 99.9% chance that they were greenhouse raised so there will be an adjustment to outdoors....sometimes they will get sunburned because they have had indirect or filtered sun.

๐Ÿ’ฅ Thanks @AaronA108617 for your quick and informative response to my question ๐Ÿ˜ Angela ๐Ÿ’ฅ

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Poppies for Memorial Day:

62498D04-0E00-4B7A-89C2-315207F73EF9.jpeg

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

โ€œEverything blooms in its own time.โ€  ๐ŸŒธ

Trusted Social Butterfly

Ferns and mosses don't bloom.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LindaB671 wrote:

โ€œEverything blooms in its own time.โ€  ๐ŸŒธ

๐Ÿ’ฅ So true @LindaB671 ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ’ฅ

Trusted Social Butterfly

Ferns and mosses don't bloom.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Birth Month Flowers:

May - lily of the valley & hawthorn

The lily of the valley signifies sweetness, humility and a return to happiness.

The other May flower is the hawthorn plant, which represents hope and supreme happiness. Hawthorn signifies that you want only the best for the recipient. (Old Farmerโ€™s Almanac)  ๐ŸŒบ

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Believe it or not, a lot of the weeds you're pulling up and tossing are edible and nutritious. If you want to learn more about your garden's wild foods, check out the presentation I'll be giving for Urban Harvest: https://www.urbanharvest.org/stec_event/foraging-weeds-garden/

Save money, save time, eat weeds. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Mark

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com
Silver Conversationalist

โ€œWe can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.โ€  Abraham Lincoln  ๐ŸŒธ

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LindaB671 wrote:

โ€œWe can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.โ€  Abraham Lincoln  ๐ŸŒธ

Luv this @LindaB671 ๐Ÿ˜

Silver Conversationalist

@LindaB671 wrote:

Do you have a gardening tip to share? Do you have a gardening question? Do you know a garden related quote? How about a garden sign?
This is the place to share!

Tip: โ€œPlant what you love, not what you think you should grow. You are much more likely to have success tending to a crop that you actually like.โ€ ๐ŸŒฑ

โ€To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.โ€ Audrey Hepburn ๐ŸŒธ

Garden Sign: Free Weeds Pull Your Own โ—

Tip: Growing Marigolds

โ€No annual is more cheerful or easier to grow than the marigold. The flowerโ€™s popularity probably derived from its ability to bloom brightly all summer long. There are about 50 species of marigolds. They are generally aromatic. Most can be planted from spring through midsummer. They thrive in full sunshine and can often withstand very hot summers. They grow best in moderately fertile, well-drained soil. They can grow in the ground or in containers. Once marigolds have established themselves, pinch off the tops to encourage them to grow bushier. Continue to โ€˜dead-headโ€™ as each blossom starts to go bad, pinching its stem back to the nearest set of leaves. Do not water overhead as excess water on leaves can lead to mildew. Water at the base of the plant. Do not fertilize as it stimulates lush foliage at the expense of flowers. Marigolds have few pests or problems overall, but sometimes spider mites and aphids infest the plants. Usually a spray of water or the application of an insecticidal soap every other day for a week or two will solve the problem. Marigolds make important companion plants. French marigolds in particular are known to repel harmful worms that attack the roots of garden vegetables, especially tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, snap beans, squash, onions and garlic. Marigolds can be dried by stripping foliage and hanging upside down. 
Fun Facts:

In the late 1960โ€™s, David Burpee campaigned to have marigolds named the national flower, but roses won out.

For years, farmers have included the African marigolds โ€˜Crackerjackโ€™ in chicken feed to make egg yolks a dark yellow.

Marigolds are one of the October birth flowers.โ€  (The Old Farmerโ€™s Almanac)  ๐ŸŒฑ

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Walk softly and listen. Mother Nature at workโ—

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great post @LindaB671 Lol, can you tell Mother Nature it is too HOT here in Virginia today ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚ I bet your garden is doing great Ms. Green Thumb ๐Ÿ‘Œ

Silver Conversationalist

@Anonymous 90 here today, 88 tomorrow. Unusually warm for Upstate NY. Spring flowers did great. Vegetable garden will go in soon. How are your plants doing?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LindaB671 it is already 83 they say. Lol, weather man has been wrong, so never sure what the high will be. I play it by air ๐Ÿ™„ I no longer do volunteer planters, was too SAD with Athena's mom rehoming her. Thanks for asking ๐Ÿค—

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

A man of words and not of deeds
Is like a garden full of weeds
And when the weeds begin to grow
It's like a garden full of snow
And when the snow begins to fall
It's like a bird upon the wall
And when the bird away does fly
It's like an eagle in the sky
And when the sky begins to roar
It's like a lion at the door
And when the door begins to crack
It's like a stick across your back
And when your back begins to smart
It's like a penknife in your heart
And when your heart begins to bleed
You're dead, and dead, and dead indeed.โ€

โ€• Percy B. Green

Regular Contributor

I have updated our Projects on the website stop by and take a look as I am now in Baker City Oregon working on a small property for a friend before I head back to the mid west...

Anonymous
Not applicable

You do have GREAT skills @AaronA108617 ๐Ÿ˜‰

Regular Contributor

I'm humbled....

Silver Conversationalist

โ€œBut she was inside the wonderful garden and she could come through the door under the ivy any time, and she felt as if she had found a world all her own.โ€  (The Secret Garden)  ๐ŸŒธ

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm @LindaB671 sounds like a FAIRY's Secret Garden to me! Great post, thanks ๐Ÿ˜‰

Silver Conversationalist

โ€œHow lovely is the silence of growing things.โ€  ๐ŸŒธ

Bronze Conversationalist

I positively revel in the scent and beauty in my flowerbeds!  I can totally get lost in my thoughts, and do my very best thinking there.  It is a source of joy and peace for me!

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP