Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

For the truly retired: Do you still regularly use an alarm clock? Why or why not?

Bronze Conversationalist

For the truly retired: Do you still regularly use an alarm clock? Why or why not?

In nearly a decade since I retired, I have used an alarm clock only when I absolutely had to. I've set an alarm for a doctor or dentist appointment I couldn't make for later in the morning, a funeral or viewing, vacation plans that included long drives or early flights, and so on. Most the time, I just shoot for 6 to 8 hours of sleep from the time I go to bed. My bedtime is based on several evening activities and factors, so I might go to bed between 10 p.m. and 1:30 a.m., or so.

What about you? Do you use an alarm clock? Do you get up about the same time each day, anyway? Tell us about it.

Stay well and enjoy!

-Lynn

Social Butterfly

@Brightpool Always been and early to bed ( 10 PM ), early to rise ( between 5- 5:30 AM ) gal.  Still set an alarm for 6 or 6:30, very rarely need it.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Nope, kicked the alarm clock to the proverbial curb.  And it is great!

Actually, I lie.  On very rare occasions I do set it when I absolutely have to get up for one thing or another and I still have to set 2 alarms to go off at 5-min. intervals to make sure I pay attention to it.

(Edited:  Wow, I just noticed I am really late to jump into this conversation.  Should have set my alarm. ๐Ÿ˜)

Bronze Conversationalist

You're not late. You're retired and right on time. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brightpool since retiring last year July and then quitting a retirement job due to virus, I now only set an alarm for doctors' appointments. Ahhh, the perks of retirement ๐Ÿ˜‰

Regular Social Butterfly

The first retirement action I took was not setting the alarm!

I do set if something important is scheduled but 300+ days per year, not!

I guess that was the thing I least thought about while working, but was the first thing I found happy when I retired!

Yes, I still set the alarm for volunteer opps, MD appts, important events; but not daily, and that probably makes me the happiest!

Perhaps corporate America might look at WFH as more important to health and productivity? 

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: โ€œIf Iโ€™d known Iโ€™d live this long, Iโ€™d have taken better care of myself.โ€
Social Butterfly

Yes 5:53am, 7 days a week.

Even after 7 years of retirement Old Habits hardly die. At least my habit of getting up at the crack of dawn from my younger days is still with me. However, I do have the luxury of hitting the snooze button most anytime I want.

I like to get up early for a leisurely start to the day before the heavy lifting starts, my deciding what Iโ€™m going to do for the day. Iโ€™ve got a lot of life to live donโ€™t want to waste it sleeping.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP