AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Fitbit Community

Message 21 of 33

@retiredtraveler - Boy were you lucky, working for such enlightened/generous companies!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content

Message 22 of 33

@nyadrn - About the smoking, I don't think they made it more comfortable for the smokers, but that they wanted to corral them in a single location, rather than having them standing all over the front of the hotel, waiting for their cars or taxis! Maybe they also think that smokers may have more need to sit while waiting than non-smokers, because they no longer have the same lung capacity!

Message 23 of 33

@nyadrn - I either use an online map or drive sections of my various routes, so I know how far I've walked. I also don't think that "steps" just walked around the house, are the same as brisk fitness walking, so I wouldn't count steps anyway.

Message 24 of 33

retiredtraveler wrote:

"...That sounds like a good idea.... sitting at my computer all day, my brain could use some blood!...".

I'm going back to my former IT life, but I guess I must have been in the lucky "1%". I primarily worked for large corporations, starting in the 80's,  and virtually every one of them had a workout facility onsite, or there was a health club close enough to walk to. So, for much of my working career, I was able to do a short workout at lunchtime --- usually about  30 minutes of aerobics. I was able to eat lunch at my desk when I got back.  But that's in Chicago or burbs, so not true for most of the country.

We do have a work out facility.  We could go and work out at lunch but we do not.  We walk back and forth to wherever we are going to eat but having to go up and change and shower and change back etc  is not appealing to me, or many of the other women.  Takes too long to look normal again  LOL  and then there is the social aspect of lunch that we would miss which is a big stress reliever and so we consider it good for the brain. LOL   Besides that the long periods of sitting between early am and lunch mean you are stiff most of the time.  So instead I started getting up regularly, using printers in other areas, taking long ways back and forth etc.   The fitbit is made for that. : )   Does that take the place of "exercise", no  but it breaks up your sitting team and the stiffness you get from that.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 25 of 33

"...That sounds like a good idea.... sitting at my computer all day, my brain could use some blood!...".

I'm going back to my former IT life, but I guess I must have been in the lucky "1%". I primarily worked for large corporations, starting in the 80's,  and virtually every one of them had a workout facility onsite, or there was a health club close enough to walk to. So, for much of my working career, I was able to do a short workout at lunchtime --- usually about  30 minutes of aerobics. I was able to eat lunch at my desk when I got back.  But that's in Chicago or burbs, so not true for most of the country.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Message 26 of 33

ASTRAEA wrote:

@nyadrn - When I was leaving the hotel after my convention last weekend, there were a few benches right outside where you turned in your claim ticket, to have your car brought out. I was with a friend who sat down, and I was waiting with her .. until I realized that was the designated smoking area! I'm so used to not having smokers anywhere near me, I had to excuse myself & walk away from that corner!

That is a funny story..   I guess they are making it comfortable for the smokers..  lots of places anymore do not want you smoking anywhere near their building.  Our smokers are supposed to go behind the building and did for a while but have started coming back out front and standing there.  That wont last long.  It is not a good image  but on the positive side I guess they get steps going and coming back from the smoke breaks Smiley Wink

Message 27 of 33

@nyadrn - When I was leaving the hotel after my convention last weekend, there were a few benches right outside where you turned in your claim ticket, to have your car brought out. I was with a friend who sat down, and I was waiting with her .. until I realized that was the designated smoking area! I'm so used to not having smokers anywhere near me, I had to excuse myself & walk away from that corner!

Message 28 of 33

@ASTRAEA  So how do you monitor your walking ?  Do you use a different type of device?

Message 29 of 33

I don't have a Fitbit but do keep track of my workouts. When cycling we use the bike computer. When in the gym we either count reps or let the mini trampoline's computer count steps and calories. When walking we use DH's phone app (Charity Miles) to keep track of mileage. (Incidentally, this app lets us  'give' donations to Feeding America via each walking and cycling mile. Actually, Charity Miles' sponsors do the giving. We just do the moving.)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 30 of 33

ASTRAEA wrote:

No .. but a tangenial comment.

I was at a local hospital the other day for a test, and the 2 technicians were complaining that they were always rushed thru their lunch break, due to patient back-ups. I said that it was very sad that they were employed by a healthcare provider, yet management seemed to feel no obligation to model healthy practices with their own employees, to have reasonable work schedules, time to digest meals properly, or have a little break time for exercise. And most hospital cafeterias have very limited "healthy options"!

Yes isn't that interesting.  We (at work) are regularly advised about how important it is to get and stay healthy. Our insurance rates benefit from healthy living.  Yet every job is changing constantly so as to decrease the amount of times you need to get up and away.

and hospitals and other health facilities should be models for healthy working places.  I know they have banned smoking as it raised the insurance rates .