Get on the Road Without Breaking the Bank – Tips on AARP Live at 10 p.m. ET. Watch Here 

Silver Conversationalist

Re: Fitbit Community

Message 11 of 33 (333 Views)

nyadrn wrote:

Do you use a fitbit?  or walk during the day?

I used an activity monitor given to participants at a race when I was running marathons. It was a few years back. The rubber wristband fell apart. My race times gave me more motivation than the monitor. lol Fitbit is probably better than that. I'm not knocking activity monitors. I just didn't have a good one. 

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 33 (339 Views)

@LaDolceVita - I spent 3 years looking at houses, before I moved. There are just so many criteria you can impose, until it becomes impossible to find anything acceptable, or drive the search outside your price range! I never wanted a house with a full set of stairs outside, but an otherwise terrific house had them. It also has a full set of stairs inside, because the garage is under the house. When I was house hunting & moved in my mid-50s, and even now in my mid-60s, that's not a problem .. nor that my town isn't walkable .. but I can definitely see moving in another 10 or so years, so everything is on one level, and I'm in a walkable neighborhood.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 33 (277 Views)

LaDolceVita wrote:

@nyadrn  I like the cartoon and will visualize it as I walk up and down the stairs and hills here!! Woman Happy  

It did not occur to me how this house & surroundings are not wonderful  if you are at all unwell. Thankfully I am still able to do it but I really do not enjoy all the walking when it is hot.

Hi @LaDolceVita

Glad you are still able to move around and handle those steps!  I am sure the walking and steps have keep you very mobile : )   That is a wonderful thing as you age.. the flexibility alone is worth it!!   

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 14 of 33 (261 Views)

@nyadrn  I like the cartoon and will visualize it as I walk up and down the stairs and hills here!! Woman Happy  

It did not occur to me how this house & surroundings are not wonderful  if you are at all unwell. Thankfully I am still able to do it but I really do not enjoy all the walking when it is hot.

vita umbratilis

Message 15 of 33 (260 Views)

HammH wrote:

Awesome to have access to two gyms. For free? Given those two options, I'd sure use the gym in my building over the one at the office. 

Yes  My building at home has one and there is one at work also but there is a membership fee for that one although no doubt worth it because it has good facilities and allows people who run etc to shower and come back to work or before they leave but for me, home is the better choice.

My main goal with the fitbit is to avoid the long hours spent sitting by getting up and moving throughout the work day.  It really helps prevent the stiffness and that comon afternoon energy slump.

Do you use a fitbit?  or walk during the day?

Message 16 of 33 (258 Views)

nyadrn wrote:

@nyadrn One approach I've seen others use with at-work gyms is to go after or before work. FWIW. Then you don't have to worry about getting back to your customary level of office polish. 

My purpose is to avoid sitting for two or three hours at a time. I have no need or desire to workout at work. I have those facilities in my building at home.

I am happy with my current plan and the Fitbit is a great motivator. 

@nyadrn  Huzzbah! I'm glad you are liking your Fitbit and that you are getting what you want out of it. Rah!

And I hear ya on the gym. While DH has made use of the on-site gyms at his office, I think the situation is different for men than for women in this regard. Getting back to office-ready appearance ain't the half of it. It seems unwise to me to let oneself be seen in that context by coworkers. The people I know who use the office gym are all male. They do not have the same concern. 

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Silver Conversationalist

Message 17 of 33 (267 Views)

nyadrn wrote:

Epster wrote:

nyadrn wrote: 

We do have a work out facility.  We could go and work out at lunch but we do not.  We walk back and forth to wherever we are going to eat but having to go up and change and shower and change back etc  is not appealing to me, or many of the other women.  Takes too long to look normal again  LOL  

@nyadrn One approach I've seen others use with at-work gyms is to go after or before work. FWIW. Then you don't have to worry about getting back to your customary level of office polish. 

My purpose is to avoid sitting for two or three hours at a time. I have no need or desire to workout at work. I have those facilities in my building at home.

Awesome to have access to two gyms. For free? Given those two options, I'd sure use the gym in my building over the one at the office. 

Message 18 of 33 (266 Views)

Epster wrote:

nyadrn wrote: 

We do have a work out facility.  We could go and work out at lunch but we do not.  We walk back and forth to wherever we are going to eat but having to go up and change and shower and change back etc  is not appealing to me, or many of the other women.  Takes too long to look normal again  LOL  

Message 19 of 33 (256 Views)

nyadrn wrote: 

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

Message 20 of 33 (282 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

@nyadrn - About the smoking, I don't think they made it more comfortable for the smokers, but that they wanted to corral them in a single location, rather than having them standing all over the front of the hotel, waiting for their cars or taxis! Maybe they also think that smokers may have more need to sit while waiting than non-smokers, because they no longer have the same lung capacity!

I never thought of that.. but it does make sense.  Sadly.