Get on the Road Without Breaking the Bank – Tips on AARP Live at 10 p.m. ET. Watch Here 

Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly

Re: Fitbit Community

Message 1 of 33 (213 Views)

HammH wrote:

nyadrn wrote:

Fitbit for me is a reminder service.. and an accumulator and better than the pedometers I used for a long time.  I had one for about three years and it really got beat up so I just got a new one and it reminds you to get up if you havn't done at least 250 steps in an hour.  That happens at work all the time and if you don't remind yourself to get up and move you usually don't.   I think everyone uses whatever is best for them.  I applaud your marathon participation!  That is not something I have ever done.  I think the longest walk I have ever participated in was a 5K for charity.  That was a long time ago.  What about you?

Do I ever workout for a charity or to benefit a cause? Yes. Colorado may have the most charity walks, runs and rides of any state. You can workout for a cause other than your own well-being about every week. 

@HammH  wow   you can actually work for a cause and your well being at the same time !  great

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 2 of 33 (215 Views)

wilful wrote:

My bride wears her Fitbit all the time.  We walk nearly every day and she gets up from her desk at work and walks quite often.  It is quite useful.  I get up from my desk here at home  and walk around too.

Our son's desk can be raised so he can be working standing up - plus he has a huge ball to sit on at his desk.  He works in IT.

Be aware - Sitting is he new smoking.   

@wilful  awwww  "your bride"   that is so sweet : )

I agree with your wife.  I am at my computer and on the phone all day long and the reminder to get up and walk really helps me to do that.  The only problem is that I can only go so far away from my office and I am getting tired of the same old scenery  LOL     Some of my co-workers probably I have really bad kidneys

: )

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 33 (329 Views)

wilful wrote:

The reason for having a desk that easily transitions from sitting to standing and vice versa is to provide a physiological change that benefits the body.  The whole idea is to get away from either sitting  or standing too long.

Exactly.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 33 (339 Views)

The reason for having a desk that easily transitions from sitting to standing and vice versa is to provide a physiological change that benefits the body.  The whole idea is to get away from either sitting  or standing too long.

Message 5 of 33 (360 Views)

wilful wrote:

Our son's desk can be raised so he can be working standing up - plus he has a huge ball to sit on at his desk.  He works in IT.

@wilful @ASTRAEA  DH and I have the same set up as mentioned. We change from sitting in a chair to sitting (bouncing, really) on the exercise ball, to standing. Plus we walk around (up and down stairs) regularly. No vericose veins here, but we do both have a strong core. FWIW and all.

That said, I can see why standing all day could create issues, including piles.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Silver Conversationalist

Message 6 of 33 (364 Views)

nyadrn wrote:

Fitbit for me is a reminder service.. and an accumulator and better than the pedometers I used for a long time.  I had one for about three years and it really got beat up so I just got a new one and it reminds you to get up if you havn't done at least 250 steps in an hour.  That happens at work all the time and if you don't remind yourself to get up and move you usually don't.   I think everyone uses whatever is best for them.  I applaud your marathon participation!  That is not something I have ever done.  I think the longest walk I have ever participated in was a 5K for charity.  That was a long time ago.  What about you?

Do I ever workout for a charity or to benefit a cause? Yes. Colorado may have the most charity walks, runs and rides of any state. You can workout for a cause other than your own well-being about every week. 

Message 7 of 33 (376 Views)

I remember when people talked about dentists developing vericose veins, from the prolonged standing required in their jobs.

I wonder if they've done any studies about people using these "standing desks", and whether that system is just replacing the problem of sitting too much, with one of standing too much, for long periods of time!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 33 (398 Views)

My bride wears her Fitbit all the time.  We walk nearly every day and she gets up from her desk at work and walks quite often.  It is quite useful.  I get up from my desk here at home  and walk around too.

Message 9 of 33 (420 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

@LaDolceVita - I spent 3 years looking at houses, before I moved. There are just so many criteria you can impose, until it becomes impossible to find anything acceptable, or drive the search outside your price range! I never wanted a house with a full set of stairs outside, but an otherwise terrific house had them. It also has a full set of stairs inside, because the garage is under the house. When I was house hunting & moved in my mid-50s, and even now in my mid-60s, that's not a problem .. nor that my town isn't walkable .. but I can definitely see moving in another 10 or so years, so everything is on one level, and I'm in a walkable neighborhood.

I am sure you get as many steps and more just going around your home.  I live in a one story condo in a high rise building.  The good thing is that many of the residents who were really active when they moved here esp golf and boating, are not able to get around as much and with the elevators they can stay even with walkers and the electric chairs etc.  We also have a back dock and the handicap van comes and picks up people who need a ride, even with their chairs.  One lady actually volunteers at a kitchen that provides meals and she is in a chair. That is one of the things I like.

An elevator was a must while I was looking at all of those snow birding locations. Well that or one floor.  I was talking to a lady who told me they bought their beach property some years back and being on the third floor with no elevator was nothing but not now.

Message 10 of 33 (423 Views)

HammH wrote:

nyadrn wrote:

Do you use a fitbit?  or walk during the day?

I used an activity monitor given to participants at a race when I was running marathons. It was a few years back. The rubber wristband fell apart. My race times gave me more motivation than the monitor. lol Fitbit is probably better than that. I'm not knocking activity monitors. I just didn't have a good one.