Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Finding Joy Outside

As we transition from summer to autumn, I'm excited to take in the glorious outdoors. Fresh air is good for the soul, body and brain. Research shows that being in nature helps release stress and negative thoughts. When did you find your love for nature? Have you recently had a moment of solace outdoors that you'd like to share?

I was in Vermont recently, which provided a plethora of opportunities to be in nature. Two places I found myself awed by the beauty are pictured below. These places made me feel grounded and centered. 

Appalachian Gap - Green Mountains, VTAppalachian Gap - Green Mountains, VT

Lake Champlain - Burlington, VTLake Champlain - Burlington, VT

For additional brain health information and tools, visit AARP Staying Sharp, a member benefit.

I play golf. I play tennis. I go hiking. I sit on my patio and read. I am outside much of my waking hours.

Regular Social Butterfly

Appreciating the outdoors/nature is as old as mankind itself. "When did you find your love for nature?" is not the question to ask. Instead, ask, "When did mankind lose it's connection to nature?". I think it's when mankind started to become "civilized". In order to breathe new life into an ancient "condition", I'd like to highly recommend watching this video (Return To My Land): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PmjZGwIqd0

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing the video @dl73698250! I recently read "An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States" and the music and visuals really resonated with me. I agree that most of us have lost our connection to nature and our nonhuman relatives.

Social Butterfly

Nature, unlike humanity, is true, unspoiled and real!

Conversationalist

My parents always had a garden and when I grew up, I knew I would have one too! Why? They bring butterflies, bees, insects and birds. They are busy but sometimes they take time out to see who you are.

I had a hummingbird come so close to me, and I sang to it and it circled twice and flew off. Of course, I always talk and sing to my plants which they love and that music carries  lots of vibrations in the air, that they feel. Just try it sometime.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Community Manager

What a magical moment you had with that hummingbird @8strts! I love hummingbirds so much. I grew flowers on my balcony garden this year to try to attract them, but I think I might be too high up โ˜น๏ธ I also sing to my plants ๐ŸŽถ

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

My mother in law had a hummingbird nectar feeder on her ninth floor balcony and she had numerous hummer visits each day.  

Social Butterfly

@AARPRachelA Love the pix! Looks very tranquil.  

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you @Rhymesometimes ๐Ÿ’œ It was very rejuvenating. Wish I was still there!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Being outdoors is the ultimate way to spend the day.  I spent the morning digging out a compost bin and was as happy as anything.  Fortunately, I live in a location that enables me to be outside any day without weather being an issue!  My yard is my "heaven" place to be.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Community Manager

That sounds like a great way to start the day @papamona! You're definitely blessed. I live in a condo and would love to have a yard of my own.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP