AARP Live takes your questions tonight about veterans benefits and scams. Join us at 10 p.m. ET on the RFD network.
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Fiber Comes In Many Forms: Here's the Breakdown

Message 1 of 3

I like to say "Eat as if your life depends upon it. Because it does!" Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Re: Fiber Comes In Many Forms: Here's the Breakdown

Message 2 of 3

It can be tricky to understand how much fiber is in your food. Not all food nutrition facts labels break it down for you. This site, Fooducate, https://www.fooducate.com, does a good job of helping clarify a food's nutritional value. Take these Trader Joe's chips, that a friend brought over this weekend:

TJ's veggie & flaxseed chips.png

Veggie and Flaxseed! Carrot, tomato, spinach and red beet!  50 mg of Omega-3s in a serving (7 chips) and a 'good source of fiber'. Sounds to good to be true, yay?

Maybe. Let's read the nutrition facts label.

Those 7 chips, they say, contain 12% of your recommended daily amount of fiber. That's good. 50mg of salt, so not the worst thing on the planet. 17g of carbs; also good. No sugars. No cholesterol and only 6g of fat.

So now I'm thinking, why these are a chip I might actually eat without guilt! But before we dove in, we did pull up the Fooducate rating for these chips.

Here's that rating:

TJs Veggie & Flaxseed chips.png

OK, so they are much better than average. Not that I'd make a habit out of eating chips, but next time I'm in TJ's I'll probably pick up a bag.

Do I always put store bought food to such a test? Yes. Listen, in a world where many salsas contain added sugar, I think you cannot be too careful. 

Read all about the nutritional value and rating on Fooducate: https://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=C642F4FC-3CCD-11E0-A55F-1231380C180E

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

Fiber Comes In Many Forms: Here's the Breakdown

Message 3 of 3

Soluble-fiber-foods.jpg

Fiber is the structural material of plants and is found in all fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, nuts and other seeds. It is a type of carbohydrate that your body cannot break down, so you can't absorb it.There are two types: soluble and insoluble.

Insoluble fiber adds bulk to your stool and helps to prevent constipation. Soluble fiber binds to fat in the intestines and keep some fat from being absorbed. Insoluble fiber may help to prevent colon cancer by speeding cancer-causing agents through the digestive system. It helps with weight control because it binds to water, creating bulk that makes you feel full. It can help to control diabetes because it slows the rate at which your body absorbs glucose.

Insoluble-fiber-foods.jpg

Soluble fiber has added benefits. See How Soluble Fiber Promotes Good Gut Bacteria.  Also, when you add more soluble fiber to your diet, it lowers blood levels of the plaque-forming LDL cholesterol.

Find out how much fiber you should be getting a day:   http://www.drmirkin.com/goodfood/fiber.html

Kudos
Views
Replies