Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Social Butterfly

Favorite Stress-Busters

Get outside into the sunshine and walk.  If the weather is not conducive for that, get a youtube exercise video, or one of the numerous ones on AARP.  Love Denise Austin and Kathy Smith.

Sometimes just a good stretch is all I need.

If on the computer 20/20/20 Every 20 minutes look 20 feet away for 20 seconds.

Reading or Sudoku. Give my husband a back rub or face massage.  Relaxes me too!

Journaling, a few minutes of deep breathing.

Take a deep breath for 30 seconds and exhale slowly. I pray with the Indian Mantra for a minute and repeat 3 or 4 times. Relax this time. It works for me all the time.

Social Butterfly

@RamasastryS413626  Like the deep breathing.  Did a lot of it today in my first stretching class.  What is the Indian Mantra?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I listen to Elvis.  Works every time!!

Social Butterfly

@BettyS487482 That's awesome!  Elvis really did have a song for every emotion and situation it seems. Some of those songs are so fun to dance to. Elvis Pelvis, he really moved.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I love to knit and listen to the oldies music on the google speaker.

Knitting just a simple shawl or scarf is very relaxing and keeps your hands busy even if watching a movie.

Trusted Contributor

when i'm stressed out i don't let it get to me. right now i just lost my job, talk about stress! but it is not bothering me. i have books to read. i just got 5 of them from Barnes & Nobles so i got plenty to read. a good mystery book is just what the doctor ordered. your mind is engaged on solving the "mystery".

Social Butterfly

@PaulH627938  You have such a positive perspective in a difficult situation.  Reading is a great way to take a break from something.  Some libraries starting to open with limited hours and/or you can request books on line and pick up.  Reading can not only give you a break, it can help you get creative on how to look for that next job.  As they say when unemployed, "you full-time job is looking for a full-time job."  Wish you all the best in finding a job that's a good fit for you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PaulH627938 wrote:

when i'm stressed out i don't let it get to me. right now i just lost my job, talk about stress! but it is not bothering me. i have books to read. i just got 5 of them from Barnes & Nobles so i got plenty to read. a good mystery book is just what the doctor ordered. your mind is engaged on solving the "mystery".

๐Ÿ’ฅ @PaulH627938 sorry about your job loss. I luv mysteries too! Angela ๐Ÿ’ฅ

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@s181224g  Love that!  I like to crochet and loom hats.  There's something soothing about working with the yarn, and in the end you have something that is one of a kind, that you can keep or pass on as a gift.  Was a bit of a yarnaholic at one time, cut back my collection to a manageable amount when I started my minimal journey.  Treasuring and appreciating what I have more when I have less.   ---  Christine

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

It depends on what is causing the stress & what time of year it is. I'm allergic to bee venom, so I only go outside to garden, etc. in the Winter, Fall & early Spring. Once the bees come out, I stay in during daylight hours. But, I do some container gardening on my screened porch.

I'm also into 4 different types of crafting, so I can lose myself by pursuing any one of those, or delving into a really good book that transports me to a different time/place, or getting back to writing more of the trilogy I've been working on, or concentrating on sorting through stuff to determine what to pack, store, donate, sell or trash in preparation for my move into a patio home on the perimeter of a retirement community later this year, or sorting through old paperwork & shredding or filing what I want/need to keep.

I can also spend some time playing with, then petting my cat, doing some Tai Chi or band resistant exercises, or playing online games, or checking my 3 different email accounts, doing surveys & participating on 5 different online panels. ANYTHING THAT WILL GET MY ATTENTION OFF WHATEVER IS STRESSING ME.  I have a lot of options to choose from.

Cee
Social Butterfly

@ccncee You are a champion stress-buster!  ---  Christine

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Favorite stress busters?  Pet my dogs, say hello to my chickens, and then go play with my three goats, all of whom call out "maaa" when they see me coming!     

Social Butterfly

@ip3285 Sounds like you have a wonderful home life!  ---  Christine

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I usually talk with friends and family (or temporarily block them out, depending on the cause of my stress LOL), listen to soothing music or watch a comedy. I'd do the nature thing in a heart beat if it were possible. Hmm, maybe I can try finding a nature vid and listen to nature sounds. It might work or it might make me miss the real thing all the more ๐Ÿ˜…

Social Butterfly

@MonicaLBP  Sounds like you have a case of can't live with them, can't live without them.๐Ÿ˜„

It sounds like healthy boundaries!  ---  Christine

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

When I feel stressed, I drink a big glass of water, go for a three mile walk, breath deep and drink another big glass of water when I get back.  I also pray when I walk.

Social Butterfly

@Wenny  You are officially my hero!  Great attitude to bust through stress.   ---  Christine

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly

๐Ÿฅƒ Need I say more?

Kudos
Views
Anonymous
Not applicable

@2Papa wrote:

๐ŸฅƒNeed I say more?

๐Ÿ’ฅ Lol @2Papa ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ’ฅ

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@2Papa Very concise! ๐Ÿ˜„  Christine

0 Kudos
Contributor

CBD is awesome stress attenuators.  Vapor for most immediate calming, +/- some THC - have to have certified, tested product, mostly CBD.

Social Butterfly

@p120527 Not quite ready to dip my toe into the CBD world.  Welcome to the On-line community.   ---  Christine

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Cristine:  CBD doesn't work when you just dip your toes into it, so you're fine doing without it!!  ๐Ÿ˜€

Community Manager
Community Manager

I love all of your suggestions @Rhymesometimes, especially getting outside. I've found that is one way to help me when my nervous system has gotten out of whack. I especially like to take a moment to connect with nature. When it's warm, I take off my shoes and really feel the grass and earth beneath my feet. It has such a grounding effect for me. I'm also a tree hugger, and I always take a moment to connect with a tree and give it my gratitude. It sounds silly, but it really provides me with feelings of calm.

Another thing that I like to do is meditate I begin each day with a mindfulness meditation practice, and I use an app to guide me. Some days are easier than others to focus on the practice, but I've found that showing up each day centers me. Now, I have many tools in my toolbox to use whenever my stress levels increase during the day/night.

Social Butterfly

I think all of that is terrific @RacquelE712599 .  It really is very centering to be in nature, and have gratitude for everything in nature.  We are happier , more content and healthier when we appreciate what we have. Read something yesterday when I did my daily devotional that made an impact on me.  The concept of "giving thanks" for something specific, which can happen in the moment, and "gratitude" in more of a long-term general way. I say, hug as many trees as you want!  ๐Ÿ˜Š Christine

Recognized Social Butterfly

My stress relief is music and writing 

Racquel Evans
Social Butterfly

Those are awesome stress busters @RacquelE712599 .  Have you ever written music or lyrics?  That could be a melding of the two.  Christine

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

@Rhymesometimes , I have never written music ๐ŸŽถ just like to listen learn and dance to it. Thank you 

Racquel Evans
Social Butterfly

@RacquelE712599  Speaking of dancing, check out Family and Friends "Would You Rather?" question.   ---  Christine

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP