Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Social Butterfly

Favorite Stress-Busters

Get outside into the sunshine and walk.  If the weather is not conducive for that, get a youtube exercise video, or one of the numerous ones on AARP.  Love Denise Austin and Kathy Smith.

Sometimes just a good stretch is all I need.

If on the computer 20/20/20 Every 20 minutes look 20 feet away for 20 seconds.

Reading or Sudoku. Give my husband a back rub or face massage.  Relaxes me too!

Journaling, a few minutes of deep breathing.

Bronze Conversationalist

Hello @RacquelE712599 , it's good to see another writer here. Do you write in any particular genre?

When I'm stressed about relationships writing poetry is a good release for me. And writing keeps my hands out of the medicinal cookie jar, so it's an extra bonus.

Recognized Social Butterfly

@DeahWA  No babe I just write to write for the people to Learn, Receive, Teach. Thank you. Good luck on your writing 😃

Racquel Evans
Bronze Conversationalist

@RacquelE712599 Excellent. Do you blog then? Blogging is such a great way to get a message out.

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

@DeahWA @I would love to Blog Where and When . 

Racquel Evans
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@RacquelE712599 There are LOTS of platforms where you can create your own blog, and some of them are free if you don't want a personal domain address for it. Some options to check out:

Blogger.com

Weebly.com

Wix.com

SquareSpace.com*

GoDaddy.com*

* a little more complicated to create, blog is part of a website, not as flexible design wise as Wix.

Lots of people swear by WordPress, but altho the blog creating software is free, you have to pay for it to be hosted somewhere (Hostgator is a popular host). Plus the technology is ridiculously complicated if you want to do anything slightly beyond the standard templates, needs constant maintenance, and made me want to throw my computer in the creek.

Do let us know if you create a blog so we can come read your writing!! 😉

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I enjoy blogs, but I don't see how anyone could stay interested in what I have to say on a regular platform.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@MartinG987436  Thank you for serving your country.  You are a true hero.  ---  Christine

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@MartinG987436 Everyone has something to say, something to share.  This on-line community is a great place to express your views, get questions answered, meet new friends or just dip your toe in ever so slight.  You might surprise yourself.  Christine

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I've never been a fan of exercise. Always seemed more stressful than de-stressing. But I need to get back to doing qigong with YouTube videos. It's great for no impact gentle stretching, not strenuous / no equipment needed like yoga. Or I trick myself into walking by calling it a photography session, hunting for unusual trees, leaves, flowers, etc. LOL. 

Social Butterfly

@DeahWA I think switching up where you walk can help with the motivation.  Or if you have a friend nearby, they could be company and an accountability buddy. Christine

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Yeah @Rhymesometimes , In January 2020 I joined a Silver Sneakers program hoping to join a walking group. And then covid ..... those programs as well as community centers with seniors activities are still closed in my area. 

And other excuses ......

LOL

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

A great way to de-stress is to take an hour long walk in the woods on the trails. Just being out there, away from traffic, away from bills, away from the news, and away from people will clear your mind and give you a reboot. I like to ride my bike, do crossword puzzles, and chat with my wife on our breezeway in the early evening with a drink or two when we can. No stress there!

Social Butterfly

@postman29 , All of those sound like great healthy stress-busters!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP