AARP Partners With ‘Politico’ to Educate Voters Leading Up to 2018 Midterm Election. Read More!

Social Butterfly

Re: ‘Fat but Fit’? The Controversy Continues

Message 31 of 57

A few points...

We are all suggested to keep BGs below 140 to maintain health.  That is a conservative number but excersising when your BG is already at 200 as your artical suggests is fool hearty.  Excessive BGs, above 300, are thought to damage your vascular system.  Why would people purposfully damage their vascular system?  I bet this is the reason they die before their time.  It is when idelogy overcomes common sense. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 32 of 57

@RonMesnard  Yes, it can. (depends upon the person's health and BG levels) That said, non-athletes do not need to work out to the same level as an athlete to realize benefit.

Here'a a good discussion on the subject: https://www.diabeteshealth.com/why-does-my-sugar-go-up-after-exercise/

A snippet: "Athletes who workout strenuously on a regular basis may not need to eat as large a feeding as expected before strenuous sessions. Also, as the body adapts to intense training, the hormonal secretion decreases when the same intensity workouts are done. Consequently, an intense workout at the beginning of a season that caused a surge in BG may cause a lesser rise in BG at mid-season."

Their summary (for those with BG issues): "In summary, monitor BG before exercise, during exercise if the sessions last beyond an hour, and after exercise one or more times. For non-athletes, high-intensity exercise isn’t needed to improve fitness, health in general, and improve BG control. It even tends to make BG management more difficult and increase the risk of injury, sore muscles, and heart attack, and may discourage you from sticking with your exercise regimen."

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Social Butterfly

Message 33 of 57

The intense excersise shoots your blood sugar to crazy levels (500-100) in a super intense excersise.  Probably to power your body during a possible life threatening situation.  It is probably all the stresss hormones that makes that possible may produce the wear and tare on your body.

Message 34 of 57

RonMesnard wrote:
Thanks! I thought diet was the only way to lose weight. I only get way hungrier and eat more if I try to lose weight with exercise. I do think exercise is essential for good health but we need to reduce the intensity as we age. Serious aerobics stresses your body and shortens life. I read a study by your mid 50s people who jog for exercise vs walking don't live as long. I suspect this is probably linked to the individual and not everyone will react the same way.

@RonMesnard  Yes, I've experienced that post-workout hunger as well. I've successfully combated it by drinking lots of water; eating something that's loaded with fiber (fiber makes you feel fuller) and sometimes just denying myself, so as not to let my temporary hunger undo long term gains. And sometimes, (like the day after we cycled 100 miles) I just let myself graze. Of course, I don't have donuts of chips or cookies or things that are dietary no-nos the house, so it's pretty safe for me to go grazing through the fridge. Smiley Happy I'm likely to pull out some cauliflower, hummus and mustard or eat an apple with some peanut butter. Smiley Happy

Best wishes!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 35 of 57

Just saw this on Twitter. Think it fits right in here. Smiley Happy

out train_ Nope.jpg

Social Butterfly

Message 36 of 57
Thanks! I thought diet was the only way to lose weight. I only get way hungrier and eat more if I try to lose weight with exercise. I do think exercise is essential for good health but we need to reduce the intensity as we age. Serious aerobics stresses your body and shortens life. I read a study by your mid 50s people who jog for exercise vs walking don't live as long. I suspect this is probably linked to the individual and not everyone will react the same way.

Message 37 of 57

nyadrn wrote:

It is pretty difficult to motivate others as I am sure you know.  My dad was a lifelong walker who enjoyed good health and he is always a model for me.  Plus I want to be able to get around and travel and that motivates me to try to keep healthy although there is much more I could do.   I guess everyone has to find their own reasons and I hope many will.  

@nyadrn  Since all personal improvement is an inside job, there is actually nothing we can do to improve another person.

That said, I consider it important --vital-- to keep putting out these wee beacons of medical/scientific fact. Not so much for those who are here right this minute, because most of those people have made up their minds, but more so for the seekers to come. The ones looking for answers. Those are the peeps that can be reached and inspired.

Smiley Happy

Marketing 101: get your message in front of the decision maker at the point of decision. Smiley Happy 

Message 38 of 57

Epster wrote:

@nyadrn  No worries.

I'm a bulldog when it comes to the obesity epidemic. It has already cost my family so many times more than what I was willing to pay. It is likewise costing America many times more than I am willing to pay. Besides minding my own physical fitness, screaming here in the wilderness is about all I can do about it, though. Smiley Sad Which is a crazymaker. Sorry if my crazy spilled over. I do try to keep it contained. Smiley Wink

It is pretty difficult to motivate others as I am sure you know.  My dad was a lifelong walker who enjoyed good health and he is always a model for me.  Plus I want to be able to get around and travel and that motivates me to try to keep healthy although there is much more I could do.   I guess everyone has to find their own reasons and I hope many will.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 39 of 57

@nyadrn  No worries.

I'm a bulldog when it comes to the obesity epidemic. It has already cost my family so many times more than what I was willing to pay. It is likewise costing America many times more than I am willing to pay. Besides minding my own physical fitness, screaming here in the wilderness is about all I can do about it, though. Smiley Sad Which is a crazymaker. Sorry if my crazy spilled over. I do try to keep it contained. Smiley Wink

Message 40 of 57

Epster wrote:

@nyadrn Huh?  Where did you post that you are X pounds overweight and your doc tells you to lose some?

@Epster  I did not and I apologize if your comment was not directed at those posting to this topic.  Thank you for clarifying!!

I admire your dedication to the subject of healthy living!!  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith