Do vitamins and supplements really work? Get your questions answered by leading brain health experts.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Exercise Fat Right Out Of Your Liver (and how it got there in the first place)

Message 1 of 6

@NerdyMom wrote:

I know!  I'm so impressed!  Took her about a year.  She's 57, and it really made a huge difference in all the blood work levels for her.

@ManicProgressive  I'm so glad! What a lot of work (but what a great reward for her, eh?)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Re: Exercise Fat Right Out Of Your Liver (and how it got there in the first place)

Message 2 of 6

I know!  I'm so impressed!  Took her about a year.  She's 57, and it really made a huge difference in all the blood work levels for her.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

@ManicProgressive  I've heard that as well. Something about slow weight loss has your body consuming the fat. Plus it's easier on your organs to lose fat more slowly.

Huzzbah to your neighbor for losing 70 pounds! Quite an impressive feat!   

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

Interesting!  I was talking to a neighbor of mine who has a fatty liver.  She recently lost 70 pounds, and her doctor told her to do it slowly.   He said super-fast weight loss would make her look better, but it's the slower weight loss that helps get rid of the fat around organs.   Don't know if that's true or not, but all her new blood test levels are much better.

She lost it over a year, and walked much of it away.   

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

Which of these body shapes do you have?  Which ones are the riskiest?

body shapes.jpg

According to doctors, the two end shapes are the riskiest body shapes because they influence how much fat is in and around your organs.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

Exercise Fat Right Out Of Your Liver (and how it got there in the first place)

Message 6 of 6

Sugar Can Fill Your Liver With Fat!

Do You Have Too Much Fat in Your Liver?
More than 40 percent of Americans are diabetic or will suffer from the life-shortening effects of high blood sugar levels in the future. You are likely to have too much fat in your liver if you have a big belly and small hips. Your doctor can order a liver sonogram to determine if you have excess fat stored there (Nutrition, Metabolism & Cardiovascular Diseases, 12/30/2015). 

belly_fat.jpgIf you carry fat around your waist, chances are you have liver fat.How Do You Get the Fat out of Your Liver?
Exercise: A review of the world's literature shows that exercise can markedly reduce the amount of fat in your liver (World J Gastroenterol, Jul 21, 2016;22(27):6318-27). Exercise lowers blood sugar which then lowers triglycerides, the fat that gets deposited in your liver. Resting muscles draw almost no sugar from your bloodstream and the little that they do draw requires insulin to do so, while contracting muscles draw tremendous amounts of sugar from the bloodstream and don't even need insulin. This benefit is maximal during exercise and for up to an hour after you finish exercising, and tapers off in about 17 hours (Am J Clin Nutr, 2008(July);88(1):51-57). Exercise reduces liver fat even if a person does not lose weight (Metabolism, Mar 2017;68:119-132).

Diet: You can reduce the amount of fat in your liver by avoiding foods that cause a high rise in blood sugar, such as sugared drinks, sugar-added foods and all refined carbohydrates such as foods made from flour (bakery products and pasta). If you need to lose weight, I recommend intermittent fasting.

Read the entire article, and access additional resources at: http://www.drmirkin.com/diabetes/how-sugar-can-fill-your-liver-with-fat.html

Kudos
Views
Replies