Discover Healthy Recipes. Search By Cuisine, Lifestyle, Nutritional Info And More. Earn Double Reward Points.

Info Seeker

Re: Excerise

Message 11 of 18

Hi, Been in the same boat, injuries, joint replacement, etc. My sectet is to find workout buddies. Get a bicycle and find folks to ride with, join a senior outdoors group. If you have a commintment to meet at a specific time, the chances are, you will go. Here in Durango there are several groups who work at various paces, from climbing 14teeners to brisk walks on the bike trail. Good luck

Arthur

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 12 of 18
I started walking last year. At first I could only walk around the block, but now I go about two miles every other day. I also bought a five pound weight and I use that a few times a week for arms and chest. Important thing is to just get started doing something. Good luck and take care everyone.
Conversationalist

Message 13 of 18

you can enjoy strolling in the park, it's relaxing. or do tai-chi Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 18

Mstretch wrote:

"....Sometimes the broom is my guitar; the dust spray is my mic. Not only good exercise, but the house gets cleaned too!....".

I'll send you my address. Feel free to treat my house as your personal gym!!!!

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 18

jn49836959 wrote:

I would like to get back into shape @ the ripe age of 69. Had some joint surgies and feeling very unhealthy. I rode my bike for 20 years to work and was a runner but now just dragging along. Dont have a bike anymore but could get one. 

Anyone have an suggestions/ I have a pilates machine (not the fancy wood one) but do some strengthening excercises but can seem to get a going on the aerobics.

Anyone have any stories of re entering the world of excerise? Use to push my body but cant do that anymore with some limitations. Just need some encouragement. Anyone in the state of WA?

Thanks ahead of time

J

I would say go for a walk.. doesn't have to be fast or far.. just start at a pace you can maintain and give it a go.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Super Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 18

I agree. Just start walking. Go a little further or maybe pick up the pace each week. If you were a runner and rode a bike for 20 years, then you'll get back in the swing.

Or you can do what I do -- dance! Dance with the mop, swing some laundry around. Yep, I put in my earphones, crank up the tunes and just dance around the house doing all those mundane, boring tasks. Sometimes the broom is my guitar; the dust spray is my mic. Not only good exercise, but the house gets cleaned too!

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 18

Good for you that you made up your mind to get back into shape.  What about taking up walking to get aerobic fitness, at least for a start?

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Highlighted
Conversationalist

Excerise

Message 18 of 18

I would like to get back into shape @ the ripe age of 69. Had some joint surgies and feeling very unhealthy. I rode my bike for 20 years to work and was a runner but now just dragging along. Dont have a bike anymore but could get one. 

Anyone have an suggestions/ I have a pilates machine (not the fancy wood one) but do some strengthening excercises but can seem to get a going on the aerobics.

Anyone have any stories of re entering the world of excerise? Use to push my body but cant do that anymore with some limitations. Just need some encouragement. Anyone in the state of WA?

Thanks ahead of time

J