Rethink your job search and find opportunities for experienced workers with AARP’s job board.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: EASY WAY TO STRENGTHEN BONES STAVE OFF OSTEOPOROSIS

Message 1 of 6

@n705671c wrote:
When you mention bone broth - what type of bones? Chicken? I know a lot of people are using purchased powder collagen to add to their hot tea etc... but I like to make the broth that you mention. Thanks.

Hi @n705671c Javadrinker, and welcome to the online community. Smiley Happy

I use chicken and/or turkey bones because we raise those ourselves, so I have an easy supply. But you can use lamb, beef, or whatever.  

Here's a good article with a recipe from The Nourished Kitchen about bone broth: http://nourishedkitchen.com/bone-broth/

Here's Bon Appetit's recipe: https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/common-mistakes/article/common-mistakes-bone-broth 

Enjoy making your own bone broth!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6
When you mention bone broth - what type of bones? Chicken? I know a lot of people are using purchased powder collagen to add to their hot tea etc... but I like to make the broth that you mention. Thanks.
Javadrinker
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

@diamondlady555 Instead of a pure bone broth, I make a veggie bone broth stock and can that up. I stick veggie peels and cuttings in a big bag in the freezer. Then when its full, I take a bag of bones from the freezer as well, and make stock from the veggies and bones.  We grow our own meat, so I have a ready supply of organic bones, which makes that nice, however a person could buy bone-in cuts and save the bones in the same manner.  I use my stock to make sauces, rice, et cetera.

Another thing I do is cook bone-in meat in the slow cooker (8 hours or more), then use the juices as a sauce base for stir fry.  This way you not only get super tender meat, but a nice bone brothy sauce base. Wahoo! Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

Hi there , I forgot to mention that I saw a video by a physician who said 

Collagen is so important for the bone strength also in addition to 

the healthy veggie greens and foods plus the weight training she (the physician)

said our bones are large portions of them made of collagen so just taking calcium in hopes of making strong bone is not enough she said to make Bone broth

from bones cook for like 5 hrs slowly then let it cool that broth is so great for 

your bones it is a life saver and is even good for skin and hair.

So this is another component in the art of healthy bones .

I forgot to put a link for the vest to get your weight training if I may put it below so you can see it and how cute this vest is http://www.nykweightvest.com  with 

proper weight workouts and strengthening foods you got it this is the way to go 

as opposed to taking possible negative side effect in some pharmaceuticals

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

Hi @diamondlady555  that's awesome. I'm glad your friend was able to stay off the bone density meds.

Eating the right things and resistance training are of great benefit to those wishing to either hold onto strong bones or regain bone density.

Here's what Web MD has to say about it: 

"The biggest component of a bone-healthy diet is leafy greens, both cooked and raw, according to Colbin. "Greens give you not only calcium, but vitamin K, potassium, and other minerals and nutrients you need to lay down bone. My first three recommendations are vegetables, vegetables, vegetables," she says with a laugh.

Vitamin D is also important for strong bones, and a good source is, believe it or not, the sun. Colbin recommends being out 20 minutes a day with no sunblock, but Cosman vehemently disputes the wisdom of ever going out without sunblock and recommends a multivitamin or vitamin D supplement.

Another building block of strong bones is protein (remember that collagen?). Colbin says mix it up -- beans, fish, chicken. "You can't eat the same boring diet every day." Again, she urges you to select good-quality, properly raised, antibiotic-free protein sources. She also recommends making your own stock from animal bones -- add a tablespoon of vinegar to 8 cups of water to pull the calcium out of the bones. Throw in a carrots, onions, pepper -- and all you need is some garlic bread! If that isn't enough richness, Colbin recommends adding kombu or canten, mineral-loaded, flavorless seaweeds found in health food stores."

Read the entire article here: https://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/features/building-stronger-bones#1

Here's a video for level one bone building exercises:

Keep in mind the usual disclaimers about diet and exercise programs: check with your doctor before  making changes.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

EASY WAY TO STRENGTHEN BONES STAVE OFF OSTEOPOROSIS

Message 6 of 6

So if you are over 50 you need to start some weight training exercise to keep your bones intact and strong. A healthy diet and weight workouts are the way to do it

My friend had osteoporosis and her MD was insisting she take a bone drug which my friend heard has dangerous side effects so she said no she will try to heal the bones naturally , (no drugs) on her own.

the doctor said ok you have a yr to try to heal your bones but if no results in a yr, you must take the drugs!  After studying online how to heal bone she set out on a healthy diet / weight workout program. first she got a weight vest for 

women to strengthen bones by nykweightvest.  She also cleaned up her diet cut down on caffeine and junk food ate veggies and fruits yogerts and dairy without sugar 

well after about 10 months she went to MD for bone test to see if any improvment and the doctor was shocked - she gained a ton of bone mass . No drugs necessary at this point she healed her bones and looks amazing to boot.

Kudos
Views
Replies