Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Do you use a food or produce delivery service?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you use a food or produce delivery service?

I'm grateful that I get fresh produce delivered right to my door every week from Hungry Harvest. They rescue grade B produce that is deemed too "ugly" for grocery stores. Lately, they've been doing their part to save food that's part of the restaurant supply chain. It's a win-win because the food doesn't go to waste, and it's more economical for me! Do you use a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) or other imperfect produce services? What do you like about it?

Look at this carrot I got the other week!Carrot!.jpg

Kudos
Views
Replies
Contributor

No. Too expensive. 

Super Contributor

Do not use a delivery service.  Just Chewy for my cat stuff.

Contributor

Yes. I use Price Cutter grocery and Amazon. These two are very good, safe and punctual.  I have no need to go out into the COVID-19 world. I have many health problems so I am a high risk situation person. Thank you to all who are doing us such a good service.  Also THANK TO THE UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE. They get no At A Boys for the great job they do everyday and not many are concerned about their health . But they are one of our most essential people. Even though our President wants the USPS TO GO UNDER. Please voice you concerns about how the USPS MUST BE ACCREDITED AND THAT THEY MUST BE HONORED FOR THEIR COMMITMENT TO THE PEOPLE DURING  COVID-19. THEY ALSO NEED HELP CONCERNING THEIR HEALTH AND SAFE WELFARE.

Contributor

I’ve tried a few services & I understand the appeal, but I find them to be overpriced & the quality isn’t as good as what I can get from the produce stands & grocery stores.

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

I don't own a car and I've used Shipt and Instacart a lot, even before the pandemic. I love them, although sometimes the shoppers make mistakes. However, this past May, I started working in a grocery store, so I've only used them once since then. I highly recommend them to people who are high risk or can't get to a store. 

Contributor

We sure do! 😁 We've been supporting our USA farmers by purchasing our produce (now they ever include dairy & meat products) through Imperfect Foods. Another really good company that we buy through is Schwan's. This would be for the items we don't mind getting that are frozen (pork chops, French fries, ice cream, etc.). There's very little that we need to actually go into a grocery store for these days. 

Contributor

I currently use a food delivery service and will continue to do so after the pandemic is no longer an issue.  I haven't tried the produce delivery but plan to inquire about this service.

DonnaW

Yes  love it.

Absolutely 

Kudos
Views
Contributor

Absolutely! Why would I subject myself to germs! Physical mishaps le falling, or be victimized by criminal behavior. Safety remains sacred in my home.

Contributor

I use a local catering place that delivers almost anything I want.  They have American, Italian and local foods. I've been using the place for a few months now. They're very reliable and delivery is free. It's only me at home so this service is wonderful.  Everything I order always feeds two.   I don't have dishes to wash; they use  plastic ware and it goes in the garbage.

I'm very satisfied with the service and will continue to do so.

Contributor

Yes, I use Shipt and was introduced when I had to stop driving because of low vision. It works well. It is all done through a app. I found the service convenient and the delivery personnel knowledgeable and courteous. It is a subscription service. I've paid for the service annually and groceries over a certain dollar value are delivered free.

Super Contributor

No.  My wife & I have always bought our produce with the rest of the weekly groceries. During the pandemic, she calls in our grocery order, and I put on my mask and drive to the store and pick up the order from curbside delivery.  Will we continue this after there is a vaccine or other Covid cure ? Probably not-we find that our pantry & refrigerator shelves get just a little emptier every week when we do no "shelf-shopping". Be so glad when there is a well-working vaccine!  IndyMo

Yes.......ever since I was discharged from the VA after 4 months of rehabilitation cause I underwent surgery which by God's Grace went well -I have using grocery delivery.  And am so grateful this is available to me..........again thank You Lord......:)

Periodic Contributor

I use Imperfect Produce, now Imperfect Foods, have been for over a year now.

They do make a few errors (and they have expanded to over 60% of grocery now), but all in all they are a solid bet in my city. If I don't get something on the order, they refund quickly unless I request an order credit to my next box. They also offer organic and non-organic produce. Always my choice. I can cancel a box delivery and move to the next scheduled delivery if I don't need an order or am away.

During the summer I order/buy from my neighborhood famers market so I really don't need produce from Imperfect. Summertime Imperfect orders are farther between. There is no limit to the number of skipped orders you can request. No commitment to purchase.

I will say the grocery items are priced well, as many are over-runs and label mistakes (upside down labels not sellable in retail settings). So, I do order meat items and healthy staples for the pantry.

If anyone is interested in starting up with Imperfect, here's a $10 discount link for your first order:  http://imprfct.us/v/diane_1804 

Diane, the Plant Whisperer
Super Contributor

We live in N Y State and it is getting easier to go to the supermarket.
We do during senior hour and the stores are less crowded.
Wife has a short list and in and out in 15 minutes.
We also did a farmers market last weekend. Timing is so important.
David

David Eig

I Do but in Houston they qre not delivering. You can call in your list  and they will email you to tell you when to pick up

Contributor

Yes, I signed up for a year for $98 at Walmart.  It saves me standing in line outside, fighting people not following the very legible arrows, put purchases on the belt, take them to car. Then, as I have a security door, I drop everything by my door then park the car.  Then, back to the apartment to put the groceries inside & put them away!  

with Walmart they bring everything in for you. All you have to do is put thing away!

no

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Oh, hey, that was a Maryland company!  I didn't realize they've exanded to so many states.  Very cool.  I had signed my mom up for that a few years ago, and she enjoyed it. 

I get South Mountain Creamery delivery.  They are a farm in Maryland that delivers to most of the state.   They started out with dairy, mostly, and have the best eggs ever.  Their kids, I think, started up a similar business for produce and piggy-backed on to their customer base.   We used to be able to pick and choose what produce we wanted, but they've been so overwhelmed with COVID sign-ups, they've discontinued that and now offer a fixed box of salads and soups.  Which are still out of this world delicious.  

Just before COVID, I got veggies, chicken, and milk:

IMG_8980.jpg

Since COVID, I get meal boxes, like these:

IMG_9144.jpg

Kudos
Views

I don’t use a service like that but would if available here in Houston, Tex. I use Target mainly and it works sometimes but I realize that such is life dealing with humans. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP