AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Super Social Butterfly

Re: Do you think your BMI is accurate? Is your weight healthy?

Message 11 of 22

I had one earlier today thank you.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

BMI was never meant to characterize individuals

Message 12 of 22

Every post so far has been an excellent response to the total misuse of BMI.  As applied to an individual BMI by itself is meaningless.  Its misuse in this way has a really simple explanation: it's really easy to measure. 

Proper use would be for screening populations. If I measure BMI for 1000 people, maybe 350 will have a BMI putting them in the overweight category.  How many of these 350 do you think look like the guy on the left in the picture above, and how many look more like the guy on the right,  So BMI will give a pretty accurate picture of the distribution of health weight vs. overweight in these 1000 people.  In this context it can be useful.

To apply it as a diagnostic to any one individual is so absurd as to border on the criminal.  Unfortunately many health professionals have fallen into this trap (as I said, it's super easy to get a BMI).  There are too many doctors, dieticians, insurance people, the list goes on and on, who would call Arnold, or Jim Brown, or Rhonda Rousey obese based on their BMI.

Info Seeker

Message 13 of 22

As a RN who has worked in various areas of healthcare, the BMI is not accurate. As a health coach, several of my male and female patients lifted weights- but they were low on body fat and healthy in every other way.  

Scales cannot differentiate between muscle and fat - definitely not accurate.

There needs to be a new standard in the U.S. to correctly determine fat vs. muscle and then go from there.

Info Seeker

Message 14 of 22

BMI was suppose to be a quick screening tool.  If you were in the normal range for BMI a screener didn't need to check if you were under or over weight.  It was never meant to be used as the god send for fitness. 

The military was using BMI since at least the 70's.  It was called Height/weight tables.  If you fell in the normal range you were sent on your way.  If you were over or under weight a tape test was run to determine your actual body composition.  That second step has been missed by the all of BMI advocates. 

Bottom line without and additional measument for body compostion a under or over weight BMI means nothing so the whole BMI craze is a joke.

Info Seeker

Message 15 of 22
NONE of my physicians consider me overweight - my cardiologist recently asked if I was losing weight, and suggested that I should not.
My BMI is 25.9. Am 65 lbs below my maximum weight a few year back, and I work out 3 days a week. If I allow my weight to drop below 180, I lose stamina - which is unhealthy.
Info Seeker

Message 16 of 22

In this case, a picture is truly worth a thousand words! (See retiredtraveler's post above.) A measurement of % body fat, a caliper waist measurement, or a mirror would give a much more accurate result.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 22

bmi is a index created by the medical community and the diet and fitness ppl. its not what you have, as far as body, its what you do with it. i am on the lean side. but at 57 ppl,younger then me, say that i still look like i could play shortstop for a team!

dont take life too serious
Super Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 22
Yep that picture says it all
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 19 of 22

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Super Social Butterfly

Message 20 of 22
Let's get this straight once and for all .......

BMI is an almost worthless number that insurance companies and the health industry should have abandoned years ago.

BMI is only a dumb number that fails to take body composition into account.

Example ???
Remember John Goodman - the actor who played the husband on the Roseanne show years ago ?
He was 6'2" and weighed 240 lbs

What other well known person was also 6'2" and 240 lbs ?
Arnold Schwarzenneger when competing in bodybuilding in the 1970s.

Same height -- same weight --- same BMI

Again, BMI is almost worthless.

Toss out the scales and trust the MIRROR - that tells you what you need to know

Michael Spitzer
Author - Fitness at 40,50,60 and Beyond
Bronze Medal Winner - Best Exercise and Fitness Book of the Year - Living Now Book Awards 2015